Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners

Thread: 2023 Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot

Boolit Master

2023 Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot

2023 Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot
    Ladies and Gentlemen, friends and acquaintances! The 23rd Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot is scheduled for June 2nd, 3rd, and 4th at the Humboldt County Shooting Park just north of Winnemucca.
    Please consider this post the invitation for past and new participants to come spend quality time with a group of great folks and do a bunch of shooting!
    If you have always wanted to go, but allowed stuff to get in your way - now is the time to join us. Don't put it off any longer! Life is too short not to enjoy!!
    This years event will kick off on Saturday morning, with a firing line salute to our late friend, Onceabull.

Competition targets shot during the event fall into two categories, group and score:
    Group targets test the caster/ reloader and any shooting position is allowed so long as no rest such as a bipod is attached to the firearm.
    Score targets test shooting skills and are shot from an unsupported (no sling) offhand position.

Open competition events include:
    100 yard score—5 shots any sight
    100 yard group—5 shots any sight
    50 yard score—5 shots iron sights
    50 yard group—5 shots iron sights
    25 yard pistol score—5 shots iron sight, 10 inch max barrel length
    25 yard pistol group—5 shots iron sight, 10 inch max barrel length
    25 yard companion gun score—5 shots each iron sight rifle and pistol offhand shooting same ammo
    Long range—5 shots iron sight/any non-prone field position on 400 yard plate
    Practical rifle—10 shots iron sight offhand in 3 minutes shooting at multiple plates between 100 and 200 yards

Each shooter can make only one official entry per event with a particular gun, but multiple entries are allowed with other firearms.
    Sharing use of guns is the key here to see if another shooter can do better with your gun!

There are also two ladies only events:
    100 yard score—5 shots any sight any position
    50 yard group—5 shots any sight any position

We also have at least one group/team shoot. Last year we did a stake shoot, with two teams using handguns, trying to see which team can be the first to cut their stake in half! Very Fun!
    Last years attempt to have a team rifle event, using water balloons hanging by strings from an improvised support - didn't work. I ran into some technical challenges that I couldn't overcome at the range. I think I can get it to work this year!

There will be a kickoff lunch at the Griddle at 1:00 on Friday. Saturday we will start shooting at 8:00 and hold a potluck dinner that evening at the range clubhouse.
    Sunday we will shoot until mid afternoon, tear down the range targets and head back to our rooms to clean up for a final group dinner at a local restaurant.
    Each participant is requested to bring two prizes to this dinner to be awarded by random drawing.
    Typical prizes include surplus bullet molds or reloading gear/supplies. There may also be additional vendor-supplied prizes.

Looking forward to seeing our old friends and making new ones!

If you need help with making lodging arrangements or have questions about anything that we might do to help you come join us, please don't hesitate to ask!!
    We were all first timers at one time, too!

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Master
    As noted elsewhere in this forum, NCBS is more fun than you should be almost allowed to have. This is a 2+ day event but if your time is limited and you are within a days drive in S. Idaho or N. Nevada , don't hesitate to come!! You will be welcome and have a great time. There are plenty of rooms in Winnemucca and in the past, some visitors have even camped at the Water Canyon Campground just south of town on a beautiful cottonwood shaded small trout stream. If you arrived at the range by noon Saturday you will have plenty of shooting opportunity followed by a barbecue potluck feast. On Sunday the event continues until noonish. The Humboldt County range is about four miles north of downtown just off Hwy 95 and behind the landfill. Don't be a stranger. See you there! BTW - In case you are wondering, NCBS is a 700 mile drive one way for me and it is worth every mile and I smile for weeks afterwards.

Boolit Master
    One of my favorite things to do for a couple days prior to NCBS has been to camp a couple days in a beautiful meadow along a creek in the Santa Rosa Mountains just north of Winnemucca. It is part of the fun for me. Maybe not this year. With 105" of snow on the ground at the summit of the road that passes the meadow, the creek will be flooded along with the meadow. That particular meadow has been in steady use for thousands of years since the last ice age as a winter camp of local native Americans.

Boolit Master
    The practical rifle shoot might be a little more interesting this year. Instead of steel plates hanging on chains at mystery distance with iron sights, I will be hanging painted soup cans on wire from the rebar frames. The steel plates regularly get flipped or tangled due to the heavy boolits so there has to be a time out. The soup cans stay put and just need replacing. Because the soup cans are much smaller and harder for old guys like me to see at 150-180 yards, scoped rifles will be OK. The shooter must still stand on hind legs but monopods will be legal in addition to offhand.

Boolit Master
    We're now less than a month away!!
    Be sure to get your reservations in at the local motor inns, hotels or campgrounds.
    Although it isn't a requirement to be there the whole weekend - you all are welcome to participate just one of the two days, if that's all the time that you have available.

Come out and have a blast!!

Don

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Man
    Our get together is almost here! Schedule is as follows:

Friday 6/2–noon lunch at the Griddle—out back on patio. Dinner 6:00 at the Martin—back room.

Saturday 6/3–range setup at 7:00, shoot until about 4:00.. potluck dinner at 6:00 at the range club house. Please chime in on what you plan on bringing so we can cover all the food groups.

Sunday—shoot 8:00 until ?? Dinner at 6:00 at Queso’s. Remember to bring two items each for the prize table.

If you have any questions, please Tim at 775-304-9411

Boolit Master
    For those coming for Friday's dinner at the Martin, you will love it. The Martin is famous for it's Basque dinners. You select your main course but the rest is family style pass-the- plate. A couple years ago I ordered the clam linguine even though I live on a bay famous for it's clams and the Martin's was the best I have ever had as fresh as if I had gone down to the bay on my bicycle and dug them myself. My wife loves their lamb.

Boolit Master
    Dedicated to those who have left us, but enriched us.
    RIP Onceabull
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eUrDAMq.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	315161
    Friday lunch at the Griddle

Name:	XwGoWEk.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	315162
    The target for the long distance competition at 400 yards

Name:	z1khz9k.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	136.4 KB 
ID:	315163
    Ammohead with an amazing piece of art!

Name:	v2I3tUS.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	315164
    One of the many important discussions that took place!

Name:	rq8gb2J.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	315165
    In the heat of the team rifle competition - always a favorite!!

Name:	In5senM.jpg 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	315166
    The winners of the team rifle competition.

Name:	sKKFHYK.jpg 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	315167
    The winners of the team pistol competition.

Name:	jD0J14O.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	315168
    A sample of the "Mormon Cricket" invasion.

Name:	z0JdnIs.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	315169
    An amazing Nevada sunset! (SUNRISE! ---sorry!)

Name:	vrGRe7v.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	315170

Lots more went on, but almost everyone was too busy enjoying our time together to take the time to take pictures!
    As usual, it was a great time, with great people, and I can't wait to do it again next year!!!!!

All of ya'all need to start preparing now, and put it on your list of wonderful things that you have to do. It'll do your soul good!!
    Last edited by obssd1958; 07-03-2023 at 08:51 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you and Quilbilly for the pictures. Wish we could have been there.
    Urny
    Elko County, the old heart of Nevada

Boolit Master

i got close to being able to attend but health and my pets caretaker being unavailable killed my attending. Thought about making a day trip but talking with don and figuring it would be a 19 hour day at my age not a good idea maybe next year
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the pics.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    BTW. - That was a sunrise picture taken from just above the shooting range east toward the Osgood Mountain Range. There was a cold breeze up there at 5 AM in spite of the fog overhanging the Humboldt River. I was serenaded by the calls of dozens of chukar partridge.