RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steel Shot and older guns?

I have a 10ga sxs and at the time when steel came out for water fowl ,the gun was Full on both barrels and then I got in touch with a gun smith about it and he said that the old guns was down value at the time because of the change that use to be goose guns and told him about my and he said bring it down and I did and he looked at it and said he can dix it to shoot steel with out a problem and he put it to IC and told me that I just increase the value of the gun, That gun is good for about 60 yards and I did not lost the distance with it . So you can not blow up the gun like stated but will ruin the barrel if it is not the right choke .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    I have a 10ga sxs and at the time when steel came out for water fowl ,the gun was Full on both barrels and then I got in touch with a gun smith about it and he said that the old guns was down value at the time because of the change that use to be goose guns and told him about my and he said bring it down and I did and he looked at it and said he can dix it to shoot steel with out a problem and he put it to IC and told me that I just increase the value of the gun, That gun is good for about 60 yards and I did not lost the distance with it . So you can not blow up the gun like stated but will ruin the barrel if it is not the right choke .
    You got robbed. The value is now less, and no, you can't make 60 yard shots with steel. You can't even do it with lead now that you opened it to ic choke. I hope it is just a Spanish import.

I have gotten in several old fixed choke, full, Browning A-5s that people have shot 2 3/4" Nitro Mags in with steel shot or buck shot. It takes a good bit of work to fix them, if the can be repaired.
    Last one had 1/4" blown out of the top of the receiver, a 3/8" crack in the receiver behind the ejection port, both tangs cracked and the receiver front bulged. Owner called, it that Browning done yet....yep it was done when you brought it in.
    This is another Daddy's gun taken duck hunting with a fixed full choke. This is the forearm shattered, butt stock was broken, end to end, can not get it to load. Took a bit to repair it to working order and a re-finish to match, with old dings for history.
    Suggest you not shoot steel in an old fixed choke gun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F12FC81A-FD48-4212-85E9-C43F76013225.jpg   44502D85-9A36-435D-B4A8-3F35F1E20166.jpg  
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    I have gotten in several old fixed choke, full, Browning A-5s that people have shot 2 3/4" Nitro Mags in with steel shot or buck shot. It takes a good bit of work to fix them, if the can be repaired.
    Last one had 1/4" blown out of the top of the receiver, a 3/8" crack in the receiver behind the ejection port, both tangs cracked and the receiver front bulged. Owner called, it that Browning done yet....yep it was done when you brought it in.
    This is another Daddy's gun taken duck hunting with a fixed full choke. This is the forearm shattered, butt stock was broken, end to end, can not get it to load. Took a bit to repair it to working order and a re-finish to match, with old dings for history.
    Suggest you not shoot steel in an old fixed choke gun.
    That did not happen from just a steel shot load. Something more went on.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    That did not happen from just a steel shot load. Something more went on.
    Guess you've done gun smith work too Huh?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Guess you've done gun smith work too Huh?
    You don't blow out the top of a receiver and crack wood because you are shooting steel down your barrel. You don't need to be a gunsmith to figure that out. It was either a gun not put together right, or ammo that is loaded wildly above maximum.

Boolit Master
    the remington hypersonic loads would possibly do that...those things are wickedly hot. but agree the damage MOST folks were talking about was bulging at choke,the action etc getting poked could well be from HUGE increase in velocity...surely that must go in both direction??? bit like how the stinger rounds in .22lr caused issues in semiautomatic rifles 30 years ago,the bolt slamming back faster THAN DESIGNED FOR was the issue...we all know about changing gas settings etc in semis now if going to use trap/skeet type loads...thats adjusting system to work with low pressure/velocity the damage shown looks to me like opposite effect......the system isnt adjusted/cant be adjusted/didnt handle higher pressure/velocity
    I have only ever short shucked a pump action 4-5 times in 10 years of usage..that was all using hypersonic loads,they were just wrong on so many levels for me.yet they are fine in gas operated semi........ load is suited to action.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Duck View Post
    the remington hypersonic loads would possibly do that...those things are wickedly hot. but agree the damage MOST folks were talking about was bulging at choke,the action etc getting poked could well be from HUGE increase in velocity...surely that must go in both direction??? bit like how the stinger rounds in .22lr caused issues in semiautomatic rifles 30 years ago,the bolt slamming back faster THAN DESIGNED FOR was the issue...we all know about changing gas settings etc in semis now if going to use trap/skeet type loads...thats adjusting system to work with low pressure/velocity the damage shown looks to me like opposite effect......the system isnt adjusted/cant be adjusted/didnt handle higher pressure/velocity
    I have only ever short shucked a pump action 4-5 times in 10 years of usage..that was all using hypersonic loads,they were just wrong on so many levels for me.yet they are fine in gas operated semi........ load is suited to action.
    I guess Hypersonics have a chance of doing that. Still if you compare most steel loads such as 2 3/4" 1 1/8 oz at 1375 fps, how is that any different than the old classic field load 2 3/4" 1 1/4 oz 1330 fps that the A5 was built for. I still maintain either the gun was put together wrong, or we are looking at something else. The type of shot you send down the barrel does not effect your receiver or stocks, period. It only effects your barrel.

Boolit Bub
    Shooting a quantity of big shot (2's, BB's) in an older gun will bulge the choke as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12