Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here is something to think about/consider

Boolit Grand Master

Here is something to think about/consider

Heres a little something to think about, for those times a firearm isnt allowed or quite appropriate.
    Back in the day a walking stick or cane was a part of a gentleman's attire. It was always there.
    A heavy cane made from hardwood isnt hardly noticed when out and about. A nice well finished cane.can not only be a fashion statement but a solid self defense tool. A cane with a shaft 1 3/8" diameter at the top tapering down to 3/4"at the tip with a ball style or other handle (I dont care for the hook styles), males for a formidable stick that no one notices.

Courts, post offices, schools, and other banned buildings arnt going to take away your walking stick. Remember they have to be friendly to the handicapped .

When I was mobile my walking stick was made from walnut to the above shaft dimensions with a 2 1/2" ball handle just behind the shaft. A with a polished oil finish. Looked good and didnt stand out for its other uses. Brings a new meaning to concealed in plain sight.

At 70 years of age a cane can be a welcome aid to mobility and a classy cane just look so distinguished too
    Before you break into my house stand outside and get right with Jesus tell him you're on your way!!

Boolit Master
    I make a cane occasionally, sometimes I glue something like walnut between two strips of curly maple and turn on a wood lathe. I like some type of T handle, if I do a ball I put a thong below the head to hang it on my arm.

I'm almost 71, not in really bad shape but a cane is sometimes a help. Last year I carried one on a airline flight, sometimes I was allowed to board first because I carried a cane. One reason I took it was that you are allowed nothing on a plane and anything is better than nothing.

Irish stick fighting is making a comeback:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d43qH9w5Dow

There is also the traditional quarterstaff:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfPYN3ZwWH8

And the Filipino variety, although the sticks are not quite cane length:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90N-e_uYvUI

These techniques were used for thousands of years by farmers who couldn't afford or were prohibited from having swords. And they are still very effective.

Boolit Master
    At 61, I've had a couple of episodes requiring a cane, mostly because I abused body my when young..... At any rate, I have in recent times taken to carving staffs and walking sticks out of osage, among other woods. My point is, if I have my stick with me and I have to protect myself, I'm going to hurt the assailant, which is the point! Btw, I work for a British company, and we aren't allowed to have canes to walk with.... They might be used as weapons!
    Last edited by fixit; 02-01-2023 at 05:25 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have needed a cane or staff to walk with since 2006, when I can get out in the woods and find diamond willow, makes for a beautiful stick and is all natural, Have had it looked at, closely by police, homeland or guards, have never been refused entry, be it court, school, airline or anywhere else.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    At 61, I've had a couple of episodes requiring a cane, mostly because I abused my when young..... At any rate, I have in recent times taken to carving staffs and walking sticks out of osage, among other woods. My point is, if I have my stick with me and I have to protect myself, I'm going to hurt the, which is the point! Btw, I work for a British company, and we aren't allowed to have canes to walk with.... They might be used as weapons!
    If you allow your employer to view your medical disability record, and they will not make a reasonable accommodation, they are required by law to allow the use of a cane. That is assuming you have been to a doctor who has seen whatever ailment you have. That's the Americans with disabilities act. British company or not, if they are in the USA they are not allowed to deny you a cane, or wheel chair, or scooter, or anything else.

President Jackson used his cane to thwart a assassination attempt. The assassins guns misfired and he took a serious beating by the cane wielding Jackson.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Grand Master

My ball handled canes are a version of the Irish shillelagh, which was made from blackthorn.

My canes shafts start out as 4 3/4" X 3/4" X 36" pieces glued into a square with the grain reversed 1 1/2" x 1 1/2". It is then turned to a taper on the wood lathe or set in a fixture and block planed to a octagon. When to shape they are sanded to a very fine grit and then the oil finish with the first few coats being wet sanded in. The handle is then made and fitted up to the shaft.

When setting the length stand upright and measure from wrist watch to floor. This gets very close for a upright position.

I was browsing through the BudK catalog one day when a "Steampunk sword cane" caught my eye.

Now the sword part arrived with square edges. It has made progress toward an actual edged tool but it is not there yet.

The cane itself is made of some kind of metal with a fancy head, in front of the thumb is a rather nice hook.
    It would work quite well to beat someone to death with. The handle end is fairly heavy and I suspect you could break someones head with it fairly easily. I'd say 2 or 3 blows should do it.

It has the advantage of being low cost. Metal, so a quick wipe and it could be discarded in any significant body of water. Making it that much harder to place you at the scene with the murder weapon in hand.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

This is all good stuff as I m starting to have leg/mobility issues. I have a small collection of canes from Grandfathers. One has a serpent carved around it and contains a large dagger in the handle. hmm foods for thought

Check your local concealed weapon laws. In some places a sword or knife cane is a felony.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    My ball handled canes are a version of the Irish shillelagh, which was made from blackthorn.

My canes shafts start out as 4 3/4" X 3/4" X 36" pieces glued into a square with the grain reversed 1 1/2" x 1 1/2". It is then turned to a taper on the wood lathe or set in a fixture and block planed to a octagon. When to shape they are sanded to a very fine grit and then the oil finish with the first few coats being wet sanded in. The handle is then made and fitted up to the shaft.

When setting the length stand upright and measure from wrist watch to floor. This gets very close for a upright position.
    Thanks for the specs. I am finally making progress in cleaning/organizing my garage. I like the idea of having the cane and always thought the nice ones were classy. There are only a few places where I don't carry, signs or not and the cane could make a difference. I am also disabled, so they would have a hard time telling me I couldn't have one. I would not put a blade in mine because I would probably be carrying and to use a blade you have to be really close. I don't have that kind of strength/speed anymore.

Ron

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    When I was a kid, there was an older gentleman who always carried a black umbrella, rain or shine. Once he showed me how he had filed the end to a sharp point. He was worried mostly about stray dogs.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've used an Irish blackthorn shillelagh for several years. The thorn stubs that are on them are a nasty weapon, and will leave a wound that doesn't heal for along time.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

My Alpenstock is shoulder high, made of native Mesquite. It has a little stub for pushing electric fence wire down to cross, and the foot is banded in copper. Amazingly strong and it would thwap a knot on whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Look up "Hapkido cane techniques". They typically use a shepherd's crook style cane during training but many of the moves don't differentiate between straight or hooked.

Boolit Master
    The company says if you need a cane, then you should stay home until better, or should seek disability.... Which ain't so easy. Yes, you are correct, there is probably a major Americans with disabilities infraction there!
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Boolit Master
    Also, wheel chair and scooter is ok.... can't be swung like a weapon!
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Boolit Master
    At a church security seminar I saw a fine demonstration:
    Four wrinkled elderly little old ladies with canes sit by the door.
    A BG walks in produces a firearm.
    BG is beaten to the floor, a very sorry Bad Guy.
    Fortunately our BG had a helmet and padding
    even so, he went down, the girls were trained cane-fighters.
    (If they ask for volunteers, skip that lesson.)
    In all the scenes and scenarios I have never had a shot I would take.
    Too many moving people, too many people behind the target.
    SHTF happens very fast for "reasonable" self-defense.
    Walk softly and carry a big stick.

My cane is moosewood from Moose Mtn, Hanover NH.
    AKA mapleleaf viburnum grows second growth from stumps
    grows out, then up for a fine knob handle.
    Still springy after 40 years.
    I broke all the other woods...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast