RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thief Texting now?

Boolit Master

Thief Texting now?

I recently got a new Iphone12 Mini to replace my old free AT&T flip phone. Took the thieves awhile to figure that out. But got a text this morning at 4:46 am in the midst of a sleet/ice storm I had been trying to sleep through. You get a phone or text call at 4:46 am at any time and it will kind of worry you. I finally got enough awake to read it, and this is what it said:

“As a security check against your PayPal account has been restricted.

Please click on the following link to provide your information.” (I did not include the link)

And it went on to say: “If we do not receive a response to our verification attempt ...”

OK, first problem is I do not have a freaking PayPal account. Second problem is that I am pretty used to normal US corporate messages, but this one was so crippled up in grammar and syntax, etc, that it could only have been sent by someone for whom English was a third language.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master
    I get spam texts all of the time since my phone number is attached to an agricultural license that is public record. Drives me nuts.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Vendor Sponsor

My wife went somewhere some shopping site or something I dunno, but she clicked on something that let hackers totally lock her phone. The text is: Your phone was restarted and needs to be unlocked. Please type your Verizon password. On anothher screen, a black screen, it said "You will LOST any information, pics, music, movies" and asks for the password again. I obliged with the quasi American reply of ****off *******

She had to take it to the Verizon store here and they got it back in a few minutes. It lost ALL of the custom settings I had, and digging in there to reset everything took ALL DAY. Needless to say I was NOT a happy camper.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Anything that does not come from someone in my contact list is deleted without being opened.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Two things, activate your privacy feature so only people you select will ring through on a CD all or text. The other is to block unknowns from ringing through

Moderator Emeritus

NEVER use the public internet provided by stores, doc offices etc. It is usually a target of hackers. Good way to pick up a virus. Burn your own data if you must use the internet while sopping(I do it to check reviews on stuff)

Boolit Master
    Both my wife and I received a text stating that our Netflix account had been locked out. Click on the link to resolve the problem. I deleted the text, as we'd not have a Netflix account.

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome to the club. I'm not sure how your flip phone missed out, but most people nowadays get 5+ messages like that every day, and at least as many phone calls. Your spam filter will get better as you mark them as spam so you don't actually see them often. It has been this way for a few years now.

P.S. turn on your "do not disturb" for bedtime so you don't get them at night.

Boolit Master
    I would spend $1000 if I could have an app or a related machine that I could click on the link provided and set the person's computer on fire. Mybe $2000

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Welcome to the club. I'm not sure how your flip phone missed out, but most people nowadays get 5+ messages like that every day, and at least as many phone calls. Your spam filter will get better as you mark them as spam so you don't actually see them often. It has been this way for a few years now.

P.S. turn on your "do not disturb" for bedtime so you don't get them at night.
    Oh, my free AT&T flip phone was plumb et up by what y'all call Spam, but what I call thieves. I like Spam and just had a Spam sandwich, but thieves I hate. As my grandma would say "A murderer might have a pretty good reason to kill someone, but a thief, never!"
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    I would spend $1000 if I could have an app or a related machine that I could click on the link provided and set the person's computer on fire. Mybe $2000
    The person that creates that app will be able to buy and sell Musk and Bezos.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Too bad you can not send a lighting bolt by wire.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master

I got a lot of those for a short time. Then Apple must have put some filter on or something.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    Anything that does not come from someone in my contact list is deleted without being opened.
    same here and blocked also.

Boolit Buddy
    Bought a USB jump drive off Amazon. Plugged it into my old lap top, started getting email within a few minutes. I figure it was bought spyware installed and then returned.

Yrs absolutely set do not disturb feature. I allow family, just in case of emergency. And I do my best to ignore any number I don't recognize.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    You can report the spam (maybe it works, maybe it doesn't) and you can block them. I was issued an iPhone at my job and the spammers were on me like flies on a manure pile for weeks. Must be an Apple thing.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

I got the same 'cry for help' as JoeJames this morning, but I generally silence my iPhone when I go to bed. Have the daughters favorited (option at bottom of contact page), so they'll get through and they know better than to call early or late without good reason.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    You can report the spam (maybe it works, maybe it doesn't) and you can block them. I was issued an iPhone at my job and the spammers were on me like flies on a manure pile for weeks. Must be an Apple thing.
    Not at all. Ever since spam calls were no longer ruled to be a crime, they have been non-stop on every phone they can get. It has nothing to do with brand, and everything to do with having your number on a call list. Email is the same way. What is really screwed about the whole thing is the leader of the FCC has not only failed to help at all, he has made it easier for these scammers. If you notice, a lot of these scam calls are from the same place, but they are a different number calling you every time. Since 2016 to be considered a crime by the courts, you have to have actually been harmed, not just annoyed by the spam callers like was the case in the past. What spam/theifs have been doing is using fake phone numbers, and from what I understand there are businesses that do this for the scammers. They are then almost impossible to track since the number they called with isn't a real number anyway.

It's a giant racket, modern organized crime. The FCC knows about it, they have claimed to be working on it, and yet we have not seen anything yet. Its been this way for years. I would just be happy this is the first time you are noticing. Hopefully the new FCC director can fix this mess, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Currently complaining to the FCC doesn't matter. Blocking phone numbers doesn't help at all. All you can do is report spam on your phone, and hope the filter works it out from there.

At times, depending on my mood I will respond with two words, the first starting with "F" and the second with "y".
    Most times I just delete them.
    As far as my phone going off in the wee hours of the morning, sometimes being mostly deaf has its benifits, but not much.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast