Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thief Texting now?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    At times, depending on my mood I will respond with two words, the first starting with "F" and the second with "y".
    Most times I just delete them.
    As far as my phone going off in the wee hours of the morning, sometimes being mostly deaf has its benifits, but not much.
    Every time you reply, your number is marked as active. From what I am told, those lists of active phone numbers are then sold for profit. You are only making it worse for yourself, and giving them business.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    My wife went somewhere some shopping site or something I dunno, but she clicked on something that let hackers totally lock her phone. The text is: Your phone was restarted and needs to be unlocked. Please type your Verizon password. On anothher screen, a black screen, it said "You will LOST any information, pics, music, movies" and asks for the password again. I obliged with the quasi American reply of ****off *******

She had to take it to the Verizon store here and they got it back in a few minutes. It lost ALL of the custom settings I had, and digging in there to reset everything took ALL DAY. Needless to say I was NOT a happy camper.
    Verizon has a call filter app that does a decent job. For those texts, I click on that large button that is at the top middle of the page. The one that identifies the caller. Click that, then block the caller, then delete the message. Verizon's call filter does a decent job as the vast majority of calls I do not even hear but they are listed as recent calls. Good luck.
    Ron

Boolit Grand Master
    I always reply back with "it's about time".
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Moderator Emeritus

New law was passed, telco's have to block invalid phone numbers, that took out some but the ones that spoof valid cell phone numbers still get thru

Boolit Master
    Have Verizon and at first there were a lot of spam calls, but by reporting and then blocking they have slowed to a trickle, and only show up when I open the phone. Screen will show the call blocked as spam. Do still get an occasional call for the person who had this number before me, and surprise surprise it is a collection agency. There is also a "do not call" registry for cell phones, not sure how well it works, but went on it and spam calls have all but stopped.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    I recently got a new Iphone12 Mini to replace my old free AT&T flip phone. Took the thieves awhile to figure that out. But got a text this morning at 4:46 am in the midst of a sleet/ice storm I had been trying to sleep through. You get a phone or text call at 4:46 am at any time and it will kind of worry you. I finally got enough awake to read it, and this is what it said:

“As a security check against your PayPal account has been restricted.

Please click on the following link to provide your information.” (I did not include the link)

And it went on to say: “If we do not receive a response to our verification attempt ...”

OK, first problem is I do not have a freaking PayPal account. Second problem is that I am pretty used to normal US corporate messages, but this one was so crippled up in grammar and syntax, etc, that it could only have been sent by someone for whom English was a third language.
    My Wife and I both got that exact same message the other morning. I wish I was computer Savvy to down load a virus for those people.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    My Wife and I both got that exact same message the other morning. I wish I was computer Savvy to down load a virus for those people.
    I wish you were too. I'd buy it, for sure. One saving grace about the what appears to be out of the US thieves is their continual inability to master the English language. As soon as I saw this in the text: "As a security check against your PayPal account has been restricted," I knew it was probably a Pakistani or Indian thief. And since I did not have a PayPal account I kind of figured before that it was a dern thief.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Every time you reply, your number is marked as active. From what I am told, those lists of active phone numbers are then sold for profit. You are only making it worse for yourself, and giving them business.
    It's true. I got a lot less of them when I stopped picking up and stopped replying.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    New law was passed, telco's have to block invalid phone numbers, that took out some but the ones that spoof valid cell phone numbers still get thru
    Like all Laws; not necessarily enforced. I have had at least a dozen "Missed Phone Call" #'s on my list over the last 3 months. 50% when called back - report the number as not in use. These tend to be foreign Call Center Boiler Operations from my observation.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Yes, true. I had to give up the satisfaction of telling the caller that I was suicidal, or suggesting a rude thing to do with a running chainsaw, but over about six months my spam has dropped from about 15 a day to maybe six.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    At times, depending on my mood I will respond with two words, the first starting with "F" and the second with "y".
    Most times I just delete them.
    As far as my phone going off in the wee hours of the morning, sometimes being mostly deaf has its benifits, but not much.
    That’s the response I have to a certain political party texting me asking for my vote. One of them responded saying they’d remove me from their list but their might be other list that will text me and that I could just reply STOP to be removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    Like all Laws; not necessarily enforced. I have had at least a dozen "Missed Phone Call" #'s on my list over the last 3 months. 50% when called back - report the number as not in use. These tend to be foreign Call Center Boiler Operations from my observation.
    They are still working on the software to detect a spoofed number 100% so some calls get thru. When it went in force I went from 6+ calls a day to maybe 1.

Boolit Grand Master

Just got a call from "amazon". Suspicious activity detected and a $1,100 IPhone purchased and deducted from my account. Please connect to a customer service rep to verify" then hung up.
    I have no balance to deduct from
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Got the Paypal one today , deleted it and 15 seconds later got the one supposedly from Amazon. I have both accounts but they would rather slap their mama than cancel either one. Need to remember to start reporting them as spam as I just realized my phone allows for that. It's the Chinese or one of the Asians , easy to tell from the choice of words and phrasing.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

This morning I was waiting for a callback from my doctor's office, so I incautiously snatched up the phone when it rang. Nope, a voice pushing some sort of Medicare fraud came on the line. What was unique in my experience was that it turned out to be an interactive computer. When it asked a question I gave it nonsense answers, and it went right on with the spiel. I predict more of this. Even cheaper than paying Farouk $3 a day to sit in his hovel with a headset on and a script to read.
    Cognitive Dissident

It's the charger that causes this.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    It's the charger that causes this.
    ??????

While back I had internet telephone service for my existing house phones ..
    Called the service to cancel and while I was talking with the individual with a bit of an accent , heard a rooster in the background ..
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Boolit Master
    Got that same pay pal thing today but not having a pay pal account, I just deleted it. Because of the bad grammar and the fact I don't have a pay pal account, I figured it was a scam.

Do you know what the Pakistani virus looks like?

I'll tell you.

You will receive an email with the following content:

"We, Pakistani hackers, will now destroy all information on your computer, but we do not know how to program. Therefore, you must type the command "format c:" yourself and press the Enter key."
    Viam supervadet vadens.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast