WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gobekli Tepe

Gobekli Tepe

Pretty much ever since Gobekli Tepe became popularized I'd wondered about the watchers being involved in people creating the site and with what went on there. This morning bumped into some discussions by people who have been thinking about it. Enjoying listening while working in the hobby room.

https://www.youtube.com/@FringePop321/videos

Boolit Master
    What I wonder about Gobekli Tepe is, Why it was buried?

Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    Archeology types figure there was an event around 12,000 years ago that pretty much wiped out human civilization.
    We were taught in school the earth slowly evolved into what it is now.
    There is evidence showing it was more nearly shaped and changed through incredible events. Some of short duration.
    Some would leave the earth looking like a totally different place than it was before the event.

One example is the Grand Canyon. We were taught it formed over millions of years.
    Rock weathering that is fairly even from the top to the bottom of it disputes that.
    One theory is it was made in a few weeks when something caused the last Ice Age to end suddenly

A prediction of what can happen if--- or whenever the earth suddenly shifts on its axis:
    The poles change, and if the earth does something sudden, like in a day or two- the oceans react more slowly.
    If the earth moves, and the water has to catch up, the 'slosh' can create something like tsunami waves well over a mile high.
    Such a wave, or waves, could theoretically wash over an entire continent.

With all the dirt & rubble such a wave would carry could explain a lot about the buried cities and lost civilizations in human history.
    It would suggest that sudden effects of nature buried all those cities and ruins, not people.
    Another theory is that such events have happened several times in human history.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 01-31-2023 at 01:28 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

A mile high wave......gosh--I'm only at 4.747 ft. elevation! Better take my canoe out of storage.

DG

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    A mile high wave......gosh--I'm only at 4.747 ft. elevation! Better take my canoe out of storage.
    We just think we have had natural disasters in our known history.
    They're nothing compared to what has happened in what I call- 'back when the Bible was being written', and before.
    Like where the Great Lakes are now---- the ground is still rebounding up from when the ice there was at least a mile thick.

EVERYONE!

Gee, Ed, you're not your usual jocular self today. O.K.--if we want to be serious, I agree that there have been immense, almost incomprehensible geological/climatic/astrological events in the past.

I live about 15 miles from Crater Lake, OR, which is just a huge, deep hole in the ground left over from when an immense volcano blew it's top. Everything around here that isn't a pine tree is volcanic. The soil is pumice, the rocks are compressed volcanic ash or what they call volcanic bombs--lava. Some are very light, some are very heavy. There are vertically upward road embankments where one can see layer after layer of ash and volcanic rock in distinct layers. The entire Cascade Mountain Range is just a string of one after another extinct (?) volcanos.

Not here, but in other parts of the country the fossil record positively establishes that things such as dinosaurs once lived which do not live today. To me, all of this gives the great lie to the Earth Warming/Earth Cooling/Climate Change people's various constantly changing theories and dire predictions. 12,000 years is nothing at all to Mother Earth.

DG

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Gee, Ed, you're not your usual jocular self today. O.K.--if we want to be serious, I agree that there have been immense, almost incomprehensible geological/climatic/astrological events in the past.
    DG
    Oh yeah, only preachers are allowed to make jokes in church.

Anyway: Events in ancient history and 'back in the Bible days' have always fascinated me.
    And almost all the stuff we were taught that has been more or less proven to be just wrong, or omitted.

I also find some of what is being taught now to be laughable, and hard to imagine even the soft heads believing it.
    Like the extinction of pre-ice age creatures, and the death of various civilizations to have all been caused by human activities
    such as over hunting and clear cutting forests & jungles caused planet changing global warming.

I'm no volcano expert---- I don't even play one on TV.
    But I don't think any volcano is truly extinct or dead.
    When a hole or crack in the earth's crust creates one, it never really heals, but always leaves a weak spot like
    us when we have a broken bone or something. Sure, new ones come along, but old ones still seem to be
    prone to erupt again sometime.

That may be what's in the early stage of happening again out there at Yellowstone national park.
    It had a couple of eruptions so big and so long ago,
    the evidence of them wasn't found or believed until not too many years ago.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 01-31-2023 at 05:31 PM.

EVERYONE!

Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    I've asked myself the same question. The archaeologists say the digs show that the people there filled in the buildings and covered them. And, that it happened after centuries of use. One scenario on that I've pondered is that maybe the people did that when the overlords were removed but I really don't have anything yet to go on.

Boolit Master
    Another question, Should it have stayed buried?

Watch out when Yellowstone blows its lid.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

It wasn't water that filled in the buildings. Or a volcano. Why people did it is a great big mystery.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Archeology types figure there was an event around 12,000 years ago that pretty much wiped out human civilization.
    We were taught in school the earth slowly evolved into what it is now.
    There is evidence showing it was more nearly shaped and changed through incredible events. Some of short duration.
    Some would leave the earth looking like a totally different place than it was before the event.

One example is the Grand Canyon. We were taught it formed over millions of years.
    Rock weathering that is fairly even from the top to the bottom of it disputes that.
    One theory is it was made in a few weeks when something caused the last Ice Age to end suddenly

A prediction of what can happen if--- or whenever the earth suddenly shifts on its axis:
    The poles change, and if the earth does something sudden, like in a day or two- the oceans react more slowly.
    If the earth moves, and the water has to catch up, the 'slosh' can create something like tsunami waves well over a mile high.
    Such a wave, or waves, could theoretically wash over an entire continent.

With all the dirt & rubble such a wave would carry could explain a lot about the buried cities and lost civilizations in human history.
    It would suggest that sudden effects of nature buried all those cities and ruins, not people.
    Another theory is that such events have happened several times in human history.
    I think that was the Dryus Minor. A meteor or comet hit the ice shield in the great Lakes ares. The ice took the impact so no crater is visible. However, it did alter water drainage and ultimately the Atlantic currents, which brought on a minor ice age, which halted/slowed the then melting ice age.
    On a different time line, some guy found flint spear points in a ceremonial arrangement in France. He found the same in Virginia. At both sites he found spherites (spelling) which were chemically identical. Spherites are microscopic balls of iron or other stuff which are formed high in the atmosphere as a meteor melts from the heat. There are much like MIG welding splash only micro small. This guy dates the spears points and spherites to about 40,000 years ago. Apparently the ice edge ran from Virginia to lower France at that time.
    Several really old skeletons have been found in North America dating back well before Columbus. They are European not Asian.
    Interesting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    Several really old skeletons have been found in North America dating back well before Columbus. They are European not Asian.
    Interesting stuff.
    They got around. There is a dig in China where some ancient people's remains & such were found.
    When they discovered the bodies had beards, blue eyes, and red hair, the Chinese govt. shut it down.
    The ancient people there were the wrong color.

There was a sea going civilization way back in the olden days.
    It helps explain why similar pyramids and the giant stone block buildings look very similar all over the world.
    One reason the Spanish were so well received in South America and Mexico at first was because the people living there were waiting
    for people who looked like them to come back.

Wave action and flowing water will fill any low spot in with dirt and rocks--not just water.
    A giant wave pushes and carries along all sorts of rubble and it settles when the water slows down and recedes.
    On our NW coast there are rocks the size of a house that rolled along and were left on top of hills by tusnami waves
    only a few hundred feet high. Simple/normal wave action constantly covers and uncovers old ship wrecks
    on our own coast line.

Further evidence of the giant waves is in the number and size of above ground salt deposits around the world.
    They were left when inland lakes of ocean water evaporated.
    Floods in recent years in S. America have buried entire cities in mud within a few days and left few survivors..

No matter how advanced ancient civilizations were, they were also rather fragile.
    Things that came along like a 100 year drought, several years of floods, deadly epidemics, an ice age,
    the sea level rise a few hundred feet in a short time, total war from their neighbors, etc.---
    When things like that happened on a global scale,,, they didn't stand a chance.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 02-01-2023 at 11:51 AM.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    I seem to remember the Chinese find of bodies with European features was carbon dated to the time of Marco Polo. And even though he got the credit, it's a sure bet that other people were wandering around since time immemorial; humans have that explorer gene deeply imbedded, or at least modern peoples - I suspect Neanderthal did not wander around as much, depending on the availability of food - but evidence of Neanderthal on the earth goes back much further than modern humans.

And you are quite right about the fragility of life and society...the Mayan civilization is a good example of what can go wrong in a relatively short time.

Boolit Master
    I'm no "scientist" but I'm not scientifically ignorant either. I can see that our hyperbolic Algore and cute little girl Thune idiots are wrong. Trust me fellows, Miami and Manhattan are safe from flooding, there is need for anyone to run to the mountains to avoid being drowned in massive rising seas.

To the Chicken Littles who do fear that global seas will rise and drown us all I ask, "Are you not puzzled by the fact that scary hot seas are said to be rising on some islands but ... not on others? "Follow that by, "What do you not know about the science of plate tectonics?"

My scientific point being that we're told earth's surface is a layer of thick, massive continental plates that float on a liquid magma core. The plates are said to slowly shift against each other. And they're obviously great heat sinks. It makes sense that such huge plates will continue to float while slowly rising and falling independent of any tiny (silly fractions of a single degree actually) surface air temperature variation.

If all that is so, and I do believe it is, huge chunks of continental land have always been sliding along while rising or falling a few inches over each other for centuries with no foolish connection to polar ice supposedly melting because of our smelly belches, foul gas powered cars and stinking cow pharts!

Nothing will change the minds of group-think loonies but I've not yet had any knowledgeable global warming believer challenge any part of that argument.

In closing Mr. Gebirgsiogeri (Post #4), anyone who tells you scientists can precisely measure the height of any point on earth at 4.474 feet above sea level (within +/- .001 feet?) will probably lie to you about other things too!
    Last edited by 1hole; 02-01-2023 at 04:23 PM.

PBS had a show on that got into the work of an archaeologists who specialized in textiles, someone that had been deeply involved. I'll go look.

Found this about the 3000 year old red heads. But no fabrics.
    https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/chinamum/taklamakan.html

Oh, and way back when those people were buriying their dead in ark style graves even though living in the desert. Cool.
    https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...oup-180978953/

Textiles. Bingo.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarim_mummies

The archaeologist is even on youtube.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUvB0lD8E5M

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    To the Chicken Littles who do fear that global seas will rise and drown us all I ask, "Are you not puzzled by the fact that scary hot seas are said to be rising on some islands but ... not on others?
    I have entertained myself by trolling some of those folks.
    When they'd be wringing their hands about the sea level rising at an island somewhere and were all worried-

I'd tell 'em that as long as the sea level only rose there, and not at some beach where I wanted to go, I was OK with it.

EVERYONE!

It's the devil's due. We live in a time when people can make oceans destroy their enemies.

Boolit Bub
    This guy does a good job with ancient stuff:

The quick research on the place says the people were hunter/gathers. Very believable.
    But then they settled there and all of a sudden knew how to farm and build heavy stone structures?

It brings up the question of how did they learn so much, so fast,,, is the time line wrong,
    or; did some survivor(s) from another more advanced tribe/civilization teach them after a natural disaster?

EVERYONE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast