MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pewter?

Boolit Buddy

Pewter?

Wife just picked up 6 wine goblets for $5. It says Web Pewter on bottom.Put one in toaster oven @ 500deg.,it melted. I believe it’s pewter?
    BigBoreShooter

Boolit Master
    Sound like! At that price it's a score!
    My isotope lead page: http://fellingfamily.net/isolead/

Boolit Buddy
    My wife brought home 6 of them, almost 2lbs. She’s brought home many things that turned out not to pewter
    BigBoreShooter
    Last edited by BigboreShooter; 01-31-2023 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Spelling

Boolit Mold
    If it states Wilton, run away it is Aluminum. I see a lot of Wilton aluminum labeled as pewter. I got burnt on one. If it looks like cast aluminum, it probably is. If the handles have rivets, most likely its aluminum. Pewter is typically soldered on handles. Just my 2 cents.

Chuck S

Boolit Master
    450°F is my melt temp for pewter. $5 for 2 lbs of pewter is real good nowadays. Web wine goblets run 5-8 ounces depending on the size that I've seen. Their pewter is very consistent as to alloy composition. A touch of copper and low percentage of antimony. The rest is all tin. Really good stuff.

Boolit Master
    WEB (unlike Wilton) is a known producer of pewter ware. You’re off to a great start!

There’s a learning curve to IDing pewter by look and feel, but going with marked pewter is a surer bet. Check the sticky up top that shows many confirmed pewter manufacturers’ stamps (“touchmarks”).

Spelling edit
    Last edited by kevin c; 02-01-2023 at 04:01 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Web has had several different touch marks through the years. All are genuine.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    Nice score man! My wife finds pewter for me too. In the beginning she brought home a few pieces of “Mexican Pewter”. Now she has it wired and it helps to feed her shopping gene. Last week I melted down the latest treasures she brought me. Netted 7 1/4 pounds for $12. I use a cupcake pan. One dipper full with the Lyman ladle is right around a 4.25 oz. coin. 9 1/2 pounds of CWW ingots and two pewter coins makes 10 pounds of Lyman No2.
    Willie
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BD60F074-7062-4984-AF6C-72CA42C12633.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	310020

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
    Nice score man! My wife finds pewter for me too. In the beginning she brought home a few pieces of “Mexican Pewter”. Now she has it wired and it helps to feed her shopping gene. Last week I melted down the latest treasures she brought me. Netted 7 1/4 pounds for $12. I use a cupcake pan. One dipper full with the Lyman ladle is right around a 4.25 oz. coin. 9 1/2 pounds of CWW ingots and two pewter coins makes 10 pounds of Lyman No2.
    Willie
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BD60F074-7062-4984-AF6C-72CA42C12633.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	310020
    Just to help a little. 9.5 lbs of COWW's has @ 3% antimony or 4.56 ozs. Add 4.25 ozs pewter to the .38 oz of the .25% of tin already in the COWW's and you'll be really close to Lyman #2. Save all the pewter you can.

Got my weight and percentages mixed up. The resultant alloy doesn't produce Lyman #2. Lyman #2 is 90% lead, 5% antimony and 5% tin.
    Last edited by jsizemore; 02-02-2023 at 02:56 PM.

New to pewter hunting

I was helping my wife sort through everything church members had contributed toward a yard sale & came upon several pewter possibilities.

There was one candidate that I thought was a sure thing: however, somewhere in the pewter sticky I find that items marked PEWTAREX are not pewter.

They had several item that I dismissed as being pewter (all priced very low). Maybe I need to take a second look: the sale is Saturday.

Check out my photos & let me know one way or another.

Thanks
    Henry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-033F.JPG   MVC-034F.JPG  

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    Just to help a little. 9.5 lbs of COWW's has @ 3% antimony or 4.56 ozs. Add 4.25 ozs pewter to the .38 oz of the .25% of tin already in the COWW's and you'll be really close to Lyman #2. Save all the pewter you can.
    9 lbs of COWW and one pound of 50/50 lead/tin solder is 10 pounds of Lyman No2. By my math that is 8 oz of tin. The malleability of the tin is what sets Lyman No2 apart from most of the alloys we cast with if you want expansion coupled with weight retention.
    Willie

Boolit Buddy
    Pewtarex is AL alloy. Stay away from it and Wilton as they are alloys

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
    9 lbs of COWW and one pound of 50/50 lead/tin solder is 10 pounds of Lyman No2. By my math that is 8 oz of tin. The malleability of the tin is what sets Lyman No2 apart from most of the alloys we cast with if you want expansion coupled with weight retention.
    Willie
    Generally speaking, COWW's run about 96.75% lead, 3% antimony, .25% tin and a trace of arsenic sometimes. Adding 50/50 tin/lead solder at any amount doesn't keep the tin/antimony balanced at 5% each to make Lyman #2. My composition of COWW's was a rough guesstimate from XRF tests done by member BNE and a sticky on the forum board. The lead was donated by various members of the board from around the country. The variations that are shown show that the professionals that cast lead don't get that worked up about the exactitude of the alloy that most folks do. It's all good. All that matters is how it performs in your gun/s.

Quote Originally Posted by Oily View Post
    Pewtarex is AL alloy. Stay away from it and Wilton as they are alloys
    Thanks for the confirmation.
    Henry

I have bought some of what i thought was peweter and it was not.

Boolit Master
    took the widow lady down the road to the big city, knoxville, yesterday and scoured the thrift shops, nothing, not one pewter item to be found, lots of plastic but zero pewter.

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    took the widow lady down the road to the big city, knoxville, yesterday and scoured the thrift shops, nothing, not one pewter item to be found, lots of plastic but zero pewter.
    I remember seeing it everywhere, then suddenly most all of it was gone. I did scoop up 2 glass bottom mugs recently, produced 2 standard ingots.

Boolit Master
    Few years ago I returned to my local flea market to visit one of my vendors that had some pewter plates he was tired of hauling around. I had my scales so I could give him a price $1/lb above local scrap payout. Plates came to 40lbs and he was dealing with other customers. I usually paid around $3/lb but prices were going up so I was debating with myself about going to $4. I used to charge $8/lb shipped on a 8lb SFRB shipping free but I guess I needed to start charging to ship at $4/lb purchase price.

Vendor was still dealing with late day customers when a young couple with a baby showed up looking at the pewter plates. They asked all kinds of questions and I obliged them with what little I know. From their questions it was obvious that they had melt on their mind and not dinner parties. They said they were looking for cheap casting material to cast 4" or thereabouts home sculpted Dungeon and Dragons figures. There was an active market for the things. They asked if I was willing to sell them and I said they weren't mine but pointed out the owner/vendor. His asking price was $6/lb or $240. The wife got him to $180. When they left with the plates he turned to me to thank me for not purchasing the plates and I told him"They weren't mine". I did tell him to have good luck selling to his new customers and have never been back. I do expect a bit of loyalty after 10 years of putting money in his pocket. I know, new world and all that stuff.

No telling what the new craze may be.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Brassmonkey View Post
    I remember seeing it everywhere, then suddenly most all of it was gone. I did scoop up 2 glass bottom mugs recently, produced 2 standard ingots.
    Like linotype.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Grand Master

Loyalty… what a concept! I still have 2 Selangor tea sets unmelted in the basement to go with a nice box of Selangor ingots. Should last me the remainder of my casting career. I sold a bit over 700 pounds in all before the bottom dropped out of the market. Good times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast