RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: A how to casting tutorial for the beginner

Boolit Master

A how to casting tutorial for the beginner

I am currently working on a new channel and made a video on how I cast with a bottom pour pot. Hopefully someone can get some use out of this. I have a bunch of content planned out would love to hear any suggestions. Many of us on this forum learned from trial and error until we found this forum. I just figured I would add an another tool to our tool box. Feel free to share and repost where you see fit.

https://youtu.be/17HJBfyBjbM
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Bub
    I'm a noob so I can't offer input on the technique, other than it was easy to follow and understand. Good information in the video.

As for the video itself, I suggest a different/larger font and a different color when putting text over the video. I couldn't read the text you overlayed at the bottom of the video.

Looks good.

I'd mention something about when sticking anything in the pot to stir with- especially if it's wood:
    Do it slow, or even better- pre-heat it past water's boiling point.

Moisture left in the wood, and even humidity on metal will 'pop', and you can easily get the Lead to splatter up & out of the pot.

I use a Pro-Melt like yours and I've had a (new) common wooden paint stick help redecorate my ceiling
    when I stuck it in the pot too fast.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    I noticed that you were spiral pouring your flowing lead but I didn't notice you mentioning the pro/con of doing it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Nice job.

Unlike too many guys who talk way too much at the beginning of their videos you have kept it short and sweet.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the input guys. I am creating a whole series on the stuff we do. Just finished a making ballistic gel video to test the NOE HTC-356-135 with 30-1. The gel video went up last night. The testing of that boolit will be out of my ruger PC-9 carbine subsonic suppressed. I should have it up next week. I got a new go pro that will be here Friday so I am going to wait till the weekend to finish that footage. I am open for any suggestions you might want to see a video on.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Master

off topic: I converted my pro-melt to pour when the handle is pulled down. Much less strain on my surgerically twice-repaired shoulder

notched the top of handle where spring rests on it (2 notches) and drilled one new hole

https://www.flickr.com/photos/157294...57667763595628
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    Nice video. I myself don't hit the hinge to drop the bullets-- but see why you do, especially for hollow points. (for those wondering, I whack right between the tips of the handles, which makes both halves of the mold jump apart leaving the bullets hanging in mid-air like in those old road-runner cartoons)
    Hick: Iron sights!

YouTube has been deleting our videos showing casting...as soon as a KAREN discovers your work, you'll be hearing from the goofs at YT.

Don't loose your original video and when you get tired of getting crap from the goofs on YT, you can upload to a channel on RUMBLE.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    I have read that. It's pretty ridiculous. Demo ranch had one taken down the other week because he screwed on a suppressor. I have an archive of them all. I might have to check out Rumble. That is the second time in a few days someone has mentioned that as a good alternative.I appreciate you looking out.

I sub'd , good luck with it. I appreciate those of you who go through all the trouble to create videos .

Boolit Master
    I'd add how to lube a mold if you update your video.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Be careful about what you say and do. YouTube is looking for any excuse to take down videos that have to do with firearms.

Boolit Grand Master
    As to the foolishness on YouTube. I do not like it, but it is their site, and they have every right to delete what they deem unacceptable.

I am on a forum that does not permit policitical or religious content. One member had a small bit of scripture in in signature line and he would not remove it, so he was removed. It was silly but it was what is wase.

We cannot talk about "the thing" on this forum. The house rules are what they are.

Anyway I have enjoyed the videos the OP has made and hope he continues to share with others.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    As to the foolishness on YouTube. I do not like it, but it is their site, and they have every right to delete what they deem unacceptable.

I am on a forum that does not permit policitical or religious content. One member had a small bit of scripture in in signature line and he would not remove it, so he was removed. It was silly but it was what is wase.

We cannot talk about "the thing" on this forum. The house rules are what they are.

Anyway I have enjoyed the videos the OP has made and hope he continues to share with others.
    I had a go in with the main Hammer over on 22rimfirecentral (think that's the name?) It was prior to the midterms, all I did was mention in the closing of a post that I hoped everyone will vote...regardless, just go vote.

He had a hemorrhoid flair up over it when I refused to remove that. I thought ..."Why the heck do I want to hang out in a website like that? I thought that was about as 'un-patriotic' as it comes!"
    I told him do what you want as he was going to suspend me for a week...I never went back. That was a shame, there are some very talented shooters there I enjoyed reading.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

This was a very good video, thanks for taking the time to create and post it. I know I learned from it!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Looks good.

I'd mention something about when sticking anything in the pot to stir with- especially if it's wood:
    Do it slow, or even better- pre-heat it past water's boiling point.

Moisture left in the wood, and even humidity on metal will 'pop', and you can easily get the Lead to splatter up & out of the pot.

I use a Pro-Melt like yours and I've had a (new) common wooden paint stick help redecorate my ceiling
    when I stuck it in the pot too fast.
    I've had pitch pockets in the wood produce the same unpleasantness, be careful if you flux with wooden sticks.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by kweidner View Post
    I am currently working on a new channel and made a video on how I cast with a bottom pour pot. Hopefully someone can get some use out of this. I have a bunch of content planned out would love to hear any suggestions. Many of us on this forum learned from trial and error until we found this forum. I just figured I would add an another tool to our tool box. Feel free to share and repost where you see fit.

https://youtu.be/17HJBfyBjbM
    Just watched some of your videos they were very informative to me. Just starting out and have watched a lot of videos. And I believe yours were the best.

Boolit Mold
    I found your video a few weeks ago and found it to be one of the most informative ones. I helped guide me through my first casting session that I completed yesterday. Just wanted to thank you for all the good advise and instruction. Gave me a lot more confidence for sure.