Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Tru-Line Jr, 7/8 conversion and set up to load 45 Auto for Wild Bunch.

Boolit Buddy

Tru-Line Jr, 7/8 conversion and set up to load 45 Auto for Wild Bunch.

I bought yet another Tru-Line Jr. press, complete with a hand full of various dies. One of purchases that comes with a bit of buyers remorse afterwards, this time because I did not have any practical use for yet another T-L Jr.

That was just before winter, I'd cleaned up the press and mounted it onto a short piece of wood so i could clamp it in my bench wise.

But I had the nagging desire to set it up in a useful configuration. I have most of the cartridges I load set up in their own toolhead, and i didn't want to strip down and working setups. This is what i came up with.

The first order of business was to mount the 7/8 conversion turret. This is one of the batch Flea Bay turrets that was offered, and once sold out never to be seen again, They were decent enough, and after mounting I checked the alignment and it was spot on.

At the same time I'd installed the "J" to "X" adapter I had sitting around. When I Tested the press with a 39 Spl sizer i noticed an issue with the shell holder set screw. It was not aligning with the hole in the J to X adapter. I double checked and it did not align with any of the J shell holders I had. The issue was with the press. Lyman also had a All American press that used J type shell holders, the only difference being that the shell holder screw was inline with the front, and not off to the side.

The obvious solution was to drill and tap a new hole in the slide. Measuring gets a bit tricky and it took a bit of time before i did the actual drilling and tapping. It turned out OK, off by a whisker for us anal types. The tapered point on the set screw holds the J to X adapter down solid. The J to X adapter, like most of my reloading tools, was purchased used, and the screw that holds the X shell holder in place was a bubba screw that had the wrong thread. I cobbled together a 10x32 screw until I get to a hardware store and by a brass set screw. I used a bit of Hemi Engine Orange paint on a Q-Tip to touch up the paint. Just to show how well the colors match here's the before.

Removing the slide was a bit involved, the turret and the detent plate needed to be removed before the slide could be lifted off. I much prefer to drill and tap with the drill press, especially with these only one kick at the cat tasks. It has to be right the first time.

My intent was to set it up for 38 Spl. but I didn't have enough spare dies, and I found a set of LEE dies for 45 Auto, so that became a contender. I thought that using a RCBS Lil' Dandy measure might be nice, but my tickle trunk doesn't have a lot of rotors. I compared my rotors to the chart and reloading data. a #6 rotor will drop 4.2 grains of WW231 and that is a starting load, so 45 Auto it was.

I find the on press priming on the Tru-Line Jr to be a bit awkward to use, so i installed a RCBS Ram Priming Unit. It works well, and I have it set up so the seating is done mid stroke. I don't see any issues with priming this way.

Another nice piece of kit is a red MTM tray that I had kicking around. Unlike most trays the shells sit high enough to grab. And, in keeping with the theme of not using any of my regular tools I pressed a pair of Lyman Primer Pocket cleaning tools into service. A simple tool with a flat screwdriver looking end that seems to work rather well.

A nice winter project considering it's brutally cold outside, -28ºC this morning, 2023, Jan 30.

Loading pistol cartridges seems to be the niche task for the old Tru-Line Jr press. But I must admit, I do prefer the 7/8 die sets, especially having a carbide sizer.

Note: I was able to contact Dave and if anyone is interested in buying a 7/8 turret for their T-L Jr, there is a good chance he'll be doing a run of them one of these days.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100057636811742

Nitro

Boolit Grand Master
    I click on every TL Jr post I see. I still have a soft spot in my heart (head?) for the press I started loading on. One of my fantasies is to take the turret from one of my late presses (yes, I have several) and redo one station/hole to 7/8X14. This would be for the modern Carbide Die with which I would start the process on my dream machine. The case mouth expander and seating dies from the original 310/TL Jr die set work perfectly fine for their assigned duties, then I would use the MR (Muzzle Resizer) die as a taper crimp die, and voila! Perfect 45 ACP ammo for my Gold Cup. This was really just a mental exercise, but in reality it should work swimmingly. The pistol cartridge would certainly be within the strength limits of the little press.

“To invent need a good imagination and a pile of junk.” I wonder how many neglected TruLine Jr presses and dusty 5/8X30 dies are languishing in the corners of reloading rooms around the country.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    I click on every TL Jr post I see. I still have a soft spot in my heart (head?) for the press I started loading on. One of my fantasies is to take the turret from one of my late presses (yes, I have several) and redo one station/hole to 7/8X14. This would be for the modern Carbide Die with which I would start the process on my dream machine. The case mouth expander and seating dies from the original 310/TL Jr die set work perfectly fine for their assigned duties, then I would use the MR (Muzzle Resizer) die as a taper crimp die, and voila! Perfect 45 ACP ammo for my Gold Cup. This was really just a mental exercise, but in reality it should work swimmingly. The pistol cartridge would certainly be within the strength limits of the little press.

“To invent need a good imagination and a pile of junk.” I wonder how many neglected TruLine Jr presses and dusty 5/8X30 dies are languishing in the corners of reloading rooms around the country.

Froggie
    Thanks for the reply. I had a T-L Jr turret modified for a single 7/8-14 hole, and it worked but the turret needs a bit more rework than just D&T of one of the holes. I also like the 310 expander and such, but the convenience of having a carbide sizer is hard to ignore. Other than the press, I hadd all the other pieces for the puzzle in various boxes in the basement. I'm finding that 45 Auto is fun to load on the T-L Jr, and that is saying something as my 550 is set up for 45 Auto as well.

I've ordered a couple of adapters that adapt the 7/8-14 powder measures like the Little Dandy, and Uniflow to the LEE powder through expander. The Dillon one works but it has another designated use for another set-up.

As you can see the metal gets a bit thin on the edge, I hesitated milling it flat, as that only leaves a few threads. I was looking at a Harrell press, and realized that it probably isn't much different in operation from a converted T-L Jr.

Part of me still has a good helping of knucklehead nostalgia and fascination for the old 310 stuff. Interestingly, Simplex, based in Australia makes a small press that takes 5/8-26 (British Brass Thread) and they market a carbide sizer that you screw in from the bottom of the turret.

https://simplexreloading.com.au/4-ph...simplex-press/

It seems obvious that the Lyman 310 presses inspired the Australian design. Why they chose Brass thread is a mystery, has to be a British thing.

TTFN, Nitro

Boolit Buddy
    But, my brain being what it is, I kept looking at the original plate and wondering about a conversion. Several years ago I had my BIL drill and tap one of the holes to 7/8-14. I never liked it because of the scalp work involved in getting clearance. Then it dawned on me, why not just flip the plate upside down, and so I tried it and I believe I have proof of concept. It helps to have the J to X conversion as it spaces up the shell holder a bit. In addition I think if I drilled the indexing hole through and plugged the other end, the indexing ball issue would be solved. I just sized 5 38s, I don't see any issues.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	310 to 7 8.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	311081

I have a spare turret: Drill through with a 5/16 bit, deburr and place the turret, upside down on the press. Drop in the ball, drop in the spring and put a 5/16" x 1/4" wooden dowel on top of the spring and put the nut and washer on, Bob's your uncle. I don't have a 7/8x14 tap, next on the agenda is to drop it off at my brother in laws shop. I can't believe I never though of that before. I'll make a brass spacer to replace the wooden dowel, maybe.

Name:	Flip turret.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	311082

Proof of concept proved.

Nitro

Boolit Grand Master
    I guess at my age this is a great idea that will never come to fruition @ my house, but I’m gratified to see that it works! Thanks for making my day.

If I were twenty years or so younger, one of my several TruLine Jrs would look a lot like that. At this advanced stage in life I can smile sagely when I see a project like this, nod, and say “Yep, I thought of doing something just like that back in the ‘90s (or ‘80s or ‘70s)”. Thanks again for making my day!

The Gratified Green Frog
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Wish these 7/8x14 turrets where still available.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Wish these 7/8x14 turrets where still available.
    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100057636811742

That's the best I can do. Mine was an flea bay purchase from the Carolina Shop. I'm guessing that Bedouin has folded his tent and moved on. Dave's was one of the original machine shops making these. I've been in touch and I think he has some old stock and can make new. Price wasn't discussed. IMHO the same can be accomplished fairly cheaply by D&T the holes to 7/8-14 and flipping it. I don't have a 7/8-14 tap, but my BIL has a complete machine shop, and I'm hoping he has time to get it done.

A few days ago I watched a video on the Area 419 Zero press. The Zero is a turret press and had a bolt that is used to snug the turret down. So, to my way of thinking the T-L Jr has a nut on top, and you can snug that down as well. I've run about 60 rounds through each stage and I snug the net down for each stage. I start the brass most of the way and snug up the nut, no torque, just snug. It is amazing the improved rigidity, solid feel and non varying index.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm84...hannel=Area419

The pictures don't show it, but I've upgraded the knob to a 1 7/8" and the improved feel is a worthwhile upgrade.

This press is a labor of love, and a bit of a money pit. So far the upgrades have all been with tickle trunk parts, but if you think in practicle terms they have a replacement cost that needs to be considered. I'm confident when I'm done, this will be a viable upgrade.

My plan is to do a complete write-up when I'm done. Mostly to keep my mind in the game. I'm like Green Frog, the decades are adding up.

Nitro.

PS: thanks to all for the encouragement.

Boolit Buddy

Fl Resize rifle cartridge with a Tru-Line Jr press.

Name:	FL Size Rifle tl  jr.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	311365

I attempted to FL size a 308 Win case with the Tru-Line Jr but stopped short as the flex seemed more than I wanted to live with. The flex was mainly in the upright shaft. I thought about it for a while and wondered if adding a support to the rear guide rod would add the rigidity needed. I set up the press as in the picture, the support for the back was an upside down decapping die (small).

I snugged up the center post nut, nothing silly, just snug, no torque and tightened the reversed 310 die for hand pressure. This took a bunch of movement out of the press. because of the limited mechanical advantage and the added rigidity, I ended up only turning in the 308 FL die a bit more than 3/8 turn, as I felt that was the limit. I was able to set the shoulder back 0.003", and that was enough to prove the concept to me. 308 Win is not the easiest case to FL size, I'd say calibers like 30-30, or 223 and such would be an easy task. Will it stress the press a bit, yes, but for a camp press or a trip to the range, why not use it. If and when it gives out, get another one at a garage sale. Total investment is not that much. The J to X adapter and the Special T priming punches aren't cheap but it beats trying to buy the odd J type shellholder. The adapter is taller, helps mitigate the higher die position.

For the support to work, I needed to remove the nut on the priming seating stop, as it interfered.

I have two turrets at the machine shop getting D&T to 7/8-14. I'll set up two presses and try and flog them at the next gunshow, I don't need all four.

Nitro

Boolit Master

Sorry I Do not/Can not do Face Book.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Sorry I Do not/Can not do Face Book.
    If you wnt to know any more details, just ask. FB has its issues. I understand.

Nitro

Boolit Bub
    I’ve got one of the “conversion” turrets on my TruLine and it’s a great little tool. Yes, it’s got its quirks, but as folks have long noted, if you’re not FL resizing something odd, or something too long, it’s a great press to do a lot with, and leave set up. I use mine mostly for throwing powder for rifles with 2400 from a #55, along with the M dies for my most used calibers. I always thought it was a bit of a stretch to call it a progressive, but there’s nothing handier that takes up so little space on the bench.

Cree

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Back in the early 80’s I was given a TL Junior press by my wife’s granddad . I wanted to be able to use modern loading dies, so I sawed a ring off a threaded coupling, I machined the inside down until it was a few thousands too small to slide over the press head . I then heated the ring until it had swelled enough to fit over the press head. I then slid the ring over the head and let it cool. I now had enough room to drill and thread larger holes for modern dies. A little more machining to allow clearance for the die lock rings and just like that my Tru Line Junior now accepts modern dies. I still have that press even though I retired it long ago.
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Buddy

Name:	Gun Guide  adapter.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	311441

I believe I have the 44 mag reloading project near completion. The other day the Gun-Guides adapter arrived. It's a bit handier than the Dillon unit I'd been using up till now. Either does the job, but the Gun-Guides unit can be rotated at any time and removal is easy as it is just a slip fit into the top of any LEE powder through expanding die. The Dillon unit is specifically designed to work with the Dillon funnel and powder die, however it also works well with the LEE powder through expanding die.