Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: New Rossi .45 Carbine Range Results

New Rossi .45 Carbine Range Results

Quote Originally Posted by Barman54 View Post
    WELL,
    I picked up a Gently used Rossi .45 Colt Carbine that was on Consignment at a Local Gun Store.
    I have a Ruger Bisley, and a Smith 25 in .45 Colt for years, always wanted a Rifled version.

Will have to see how my Pistol reloads shoot in it, 8.0 Unique under a 255 Hard Cast?
    Hopefully next Wkend?

Barman54
    Out

1/28/2023
    Well,
    Made it to the Range Yesterday
    50 Yds 255 Hardcast 2 Loads 8.0 Unique, 7.0 WSL (Win Super Lite), had loaded four years, still have 1/2 a Pound left.

Rifle has a Kick to it.
    Shoots about 8-9 inches left, if I favor it got the centered up on the MR31C target @ 50 Yards.
    Tried to Drift the rear sight, had the Punches, but not a Big enough Hammer at the Range.

3 of the 5 shots fired were in the Black, other two were in the White but on Paper, again while Favoring.
    5 3/4 In Black Circle, no bigger than 3" spread, two were 1 1/2, with Unique

Chrono'd Both 8.0 Unique, 1306 Avg., 7.0 WSL 1070 fps

Will try to Post Pics, have to use a Different Computer, this one has S Secure on it, very restrictive on what it can Upload/download, QVC Purchase.

Overall Not too bad.

Oh, I single loaded each from the Top, just wanted to see how it shot, will try Loading and Moved sights next Time.

Barman54
    Out

Boolit Master

Good luck. I bet you will get it running the way you want to.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Hear you on not having a big enough hammer. Boy, the Rossi sights are in there tight. In fact, I ordered a Wyoming Sight Drifter just to see if it would move the front sight without me needing to whang on it.

Boolit Master
    You might try to bump up the powder charge a little and see how that changes things.

Keep in mind it's got a fairly slow twist of 1 in 30". It's also not an SAA. It'll handle 30+ kpsi without even blinking.

Boolit Master
    MINE shoots 18.5/2400/250 gr. RNFP as though it was BUILT to shoot it. Minute of (small) grapefruit at 100 yards & 1350 f/s, 10' from the muzzle.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    MINE shoots 18.5/2400/250 gr. RNFP as though it was BUILT to shoot it. Minute of (small) grapefruit at 100 yards & 1350 f/s, 10' from the muzzle.
    All I found showed 15.4 as a max charge.
    I assume you worked this up, or do you have date to prove this?

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Buddy

The R92 in 45 Colt, rifle and carbine, are 1:24, the 44RM is 1:30.

Kosh, if I may, which specific RNFP are you shooting?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    The R92 in 45 Colt, rifle and carbine, are 1:24, the 44RM is 1:30. Kosh, if I may, which specific RNFP are you shooting?
    This one: https://missouribullet.com/details.p...y=14&keywords=
    And it's always okay to ask.

All I found showed 15.4 as a max charge. I assume you worked this up, or do you have data to prove this?
    RP
    I DID work it up from 17.5/2400/250 gr. RNFP, a load with which I also started when working up for my Ruger Redhawk. My source(s) consisted of data from other very knowledgeable .45 Colt "Hot Rodders", and data from the published works of professionals in the industry, thus:

.45 COLT: Keith's early load was an extremely powerful 22.0 grains of #2400 again in balloon head cases. This was dropped to 20.0 grains and then to 18.5 grains in modern brass with all loads using the 260 grain #454424 Keith bullet. This is a 1150+ fps load and should be used only in modern.45 Colts.
    sixguns.com/range/elmersloads.htm
    The Sixguns and Loads of Elmer Keith - John Taffin
    There is also data for a jacketed 250 gr. projectile in the Ruger/T-C Only section, giving 17.5-22.0/2400/250, in Lyman's 50th edition (p. 509, top left). I HAVE worked up to 20.3/2400/250 RNFP, which is where I re-obtained "minute of (small) grapefruit" accuracy at 100 yards.

The 15.4/2400/250 gr load is from Alliant, which is phobic about publishing data for "Ruger/T-C only" loads in a number of calibers. Alliant's load is probably the maximum charge that does not exceed the SAAMI Maximum Average Pressure limit of 14,000 p.s.i. This load is NOT to be under-estimated, however. If it clocks 972 f/s from a (probably unvented) 5.5" barrel, it is not engaging in sheer fantasy to expect higher velocity from the load when fired from a carbine barrel.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Grand Master

I would figure using 2400 to have 175+ fps.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

I DID work it up from 17.5/2400/250 gr. RNFP, a load with which I also started when working up for my Ruger Redhawk. My source(s) consisted of data from other very knowledgeable .45 Colt "Hot Rodders", and data from the published works of professionals in the industry, thus:

There is also data for a jacketed 250 gr. projectile in the Ruger/T-C Only section, giving 17.5-22.0/2400/250, in Lyman's 50th edition (p. 509, top left). I HAVE worked up to 20.3/2400/250 RNFP, which is where I re-obtained "minute of (small) grapefruit" accuracy at 100 yards.

The 15.4/2400/250 gr load is from Alliant, which is phobic about publishing data for "Ruger/T-C only" loads in a number of calibers. Alliant's load is probably the maximum charge that does not exceed the SAAMI Maximum Average Pressure limit of 14,000 p.s.i. This load is NOT to be under-estimated, however. If it clocks 972 f/s from a (probably unvented) 5.5" barrel, it is not engaging in sheer fantasy to expect higher velocity from the load when fired from a carbine barrel.
    Thank you. I appreciate the info.
    I actually have an older Contender manual.
    I forget about it quite often.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Buddy

Thank you!

Boolit Master

Mine is an 1873 Uberti Winchester clone. My load is 8 gr of Unique over a 265 gr RNFP. The rifle has a Marble's tang sight on it. Off the bench at 50 yards it shoots a sub 1 inch 5 shot group. Its taken several deer. Drops then in their tracks. Chrono'ed velocity averages 1025 fps. Couldn't ask for a better load.

Banner Sponsor

White labs proof tested the Rossi M92 in 45 Colt to 50,000 psi way back when, so Ruger + loads are good go go in it. They also chamber the M92 in 454...
    I shoot a 275 from Hunter's Supply with 20gns of IMR4227 in mine.