Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 358 winchester

Boolit Bub

358 winchester

I just found a 358 winchester built on a belgin mauser action. I have dies and a large amount of 308 bras i Will resize. What have you guys used for white tails out to 200 yards?

Boolit Master
    I use what ever the gun likes and shoots accurately. There is where the fun is, finding out what the gun likes ????

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Well I have a 1-14 24" AB barrel on a Santa Barbara 98 . 148 gr WC was amusing out to about 75 yd . The 358-158 RNFP was equally amusing up to about 12.5 gr of Unique past 250 yd .

More seriously however the Lee 358-200 was a near instant success until I started trying to make it stop penetrating via expansion alloys . Then things got weird . I tried a host of other bullets and settled on the 35-250 with 10% less than tamped and jiggled to the bottom of the neck in IMR 4350 in WW . Using the hunting alloy of WW and tamper seals at 75/25 and the same loads delivered 2100 fps and .900 dia groups of 5 . Haven't had the opportunity to shoot anything but paper yet , but I would imagine that a 2000 fps 250 inside 200 yd isn't going to be good for most critters . Not even the light armored white tail .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    My 358 win. seem to shoot what ever I load for them , The semi - auto is limited to mag length so a 250 gr. is what she gets ,but the bolt gun get the 310 NOE thumper paper patched that load has filled the freezer with more hog and deer than I can remember and out to two hundred yards I have to do something stupid to miss .
    Most of the mid range powders from 4198 to Varget have given good results.

Boolit Grand Master

On white tail deer the RCBS 35-200-FN of the NOE or Lee clones at 2000 - 2300 fps will kill them all day long out to 200+ yards.

[Tongue in cheek] That is, of course, unless you hunt where PETA/APCA are issuing the deer body armor. Then you may want a bit heavier bullet.....
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've used one for years. My favorite load goes 2170 fps with a 290 gr. bullet, and my longest kill with it was 225 yards, which is point blank with that load.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    On white tail deer the RCBS 35-200-FN of the NOE or Lee clones at 2000 - 2300 fps will kill them all day long out to 200+ yards.

[Tongue in cheek] That is, of course, unless you hunt where PETA/APCA are issuing the deer body armor. Then you may want a bit heavier bullet.....
    Larrys endorsement should be well enough but Ill add mine to this. The RCBS 35/200 fn or any of its clones as long as it shoots well for you will do most everything one can ask from the 358 Winchester.
    I am partial to the NOE offering as it has the largest meplat. (rCBS is smallest)
    I also really like a MP 35/220 hp bullet. Its same profile as the RCBS just a lil heavier and with a small HP cast in COWW @ 1800 has been my GO TO for a cast bullet moved by re7 powder.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

Have a couple of .358 bolt guns. And several molds, including a Lyman 358009 280 grain, a Saeco 245 grain, and an RCBS 200. All three shoot very well through the Shilen barrels. I find that the RCBS is as good as anything for both target loads and white tail deer and an occasional hog.
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

Quote Originally Posted by woodpile View Post
    I have dies and a large amount of 308 bras i Will resize.
    Make sure to anneal your brass before up sizing to 35 cal. I was getting way to many split mouths until I started annealing before up sizing. I also started annealing after trimming(brass sized to 358win), was getting split necks after firing at the tapper until I did it. I have 200 rounds loaded using 308win brass that have been fired once as 358win.
    I've shot from 200gr to 250gr with sub 1.5" groups at 100. I can get smaller groups using copper condoms but made the gun for cast.

Good luck and congrats on your new purchase.
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."