Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Mule Snot in 45 ACP anyone?

Mule Snot in 45 ACP anyone?

Does anyone use Lee's Mule not nowadays or has powder coating taken over?

I just got a 1911A1 clone and I was gifted a box of 500 boolits that have no lube groove. I have no deisre to get into powder coating. I have some mule snot and was considering rolling some of those 500 boolits around in the mule snot just to get started with the 1911A1

If you are using Mule Snot are you diluting it with mineral oil?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BOOLIT BOX.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	309894

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BOOLITS.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	309895
    Last edited by Mark Daiute; 01-29-2023 at 02:01 PM. Reason: IMAGES ADDED

Boolit Buddy

I have diluted with mineral spirits 50/50, swirled boolits. I don't recall what I did to dry them. Most likely what Lee recommend. Lube has worked on my 45's and 311359's.

Boolit Master

I never really cared for Alox to begin with. After getting into PC I will never go back to Alox or really even conventional lube and sold both of my Lyman sizers. JMO

I use BLL (old formula) for everything. (1% carnuba wax flakes melted into the mix)

Drys fast and hard, not sticky, does not collect lint and dirt from pockets.

Shoots well.

Most pistol boolits get 2 light coats, rifle gets 3. After the last coat I spill them onto a cardboard flat, set them in front of a fan. I half an hour or less they are dry and solid enough to load.

If you want really good accuracy, after they are loaded put a couple of drops of BLL on an old towel. Pick up each cartridge, put the nose in the wet spot. Holding the towel against the nose I give it a couple of turns. This removes any excess, and leaves one very thin coat on the nose. The base has 2 thicker coats and is protected by the brass.

To me this is the ultimate, but I don't always bother.

That thin coat drys, protects the lead from oxidation. Protects the boolit on its trip down the bore and through the air.
    That thicker coat in the back is where you need it to prevent gas cutting and leading.

A truly thin consistent coat is the key for accuracy IMO.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Name:	BOOLITS.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	309892

Name:	BOOLIT BOX.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	309893

these are the boolits that were gifted to me

I don't see why you couldn't roll them in ALOX or any similar hard, thin wax and shoot them up. Are they already sized?

Quote Originally Posted by arclight View Post
    I don't see why you couldn't roll them in ALOX or any similar hard, thin wax and shoot them up. Are they already sized?
    I have no idea. Now that you mention it I should measure them. There they are, just like that in that box

Boolit Master
    I just recently cast some 230 grain, 452 diameter round nose tumble lube bullets. Tumbled them in undiluted Alox and then sized them. Plenty of Alox still in the grooves after sizing so I did not re-lube. These are for my 1911A1. Too darn cold outside for me to do any testing, but I have confidence they will work just fine. In the past I have lubed bullets for .38 special and .357 with the Alox and never had any problems.

I fill a bowl with HOT water from the tap and immerse the bottle of Alox. It flows out just fine. No need for diluting with mineral spirits or anything else.

I used many of those bullets years ago. Loaded right from the box. Seems like they were dusted with some type of dry lube, similar to what Hornady uses. While they are very soft, I never had a problem with leading in my 1911 at speeds up to 1000fps. It's the bullet in my profile. I would shoot them again if I could find them, great expansion from the 45 cal 225 grain hp.
    "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

-Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Boolit Master
    Those bullets are ready to load and shoot

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    Those bullets are ready to load and shoot
    Yes

Boolit Mold
    Those bullets already have a lube on the OD, so are ready to load and shoot. Taurus bullets used to be Alberts bullets, and they used a dry powder lube on the OD. You can see the lube on the outside if you look closely. They should have a slight waxy and slippery feel. Load and shoot. I've loaded and shot 1000's of them back in the 80's when they were available, great bullets.