RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9mm cartridge OAL

Boolit Master
    "0.017" is okay? That's more variation than I'D want. That's awfully close to the "0.02" change that SPEER wrote about. Granted that 93Bandit's load IS 6 - 6.5% under max., but the Speer example's load only generated 29,000 p.s.i., before things went wrong with the seating depth.
    If the OP has a chronograph, I advise him to run 10 - 12 of the reloads with the longest o.a.l. through it & calculate the average velocity & standard deviation. ALSO, take note of the fired primers vs. some fired factory rounds. Repeat this process with with 10 - 12 of the reloads that are shorter by 0.017". If the shorter rounds don't give velocities expected of a .38 Super, and the primers don't look appreciably flatter than on the factory rounds, you MAY be alright. But the real answer is to do whatever must be done to keep o.a.l. at some prudent length, + 0.005"(or SMALLER).
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by BC17A View Post
    .017" variation?, that's more like it. What boolit are you casting? Doesn't sound unusual if you're using the shake/bake PC method since it causes more lumps and bumps when baked. What powder and charge weight are you loading with? .012" deeper seating depth won't increase pressure enough to worry about unless you're already at max with a very fast burning powder.
    I'm using a Lee 356-125-2R mould, and so far the boolits are dropping around 130-133gn. I am using the shake n bake method to PC so I do understand there will be some variation. I'm using Sport Pistol, 3.9gn. The max charge for this load is 4.2gn.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    "0.017" is okay? That's more variation than I'D want. That's awfully close to the "0.02" change that SPEER wrote about. Granted that 93Bandit's load IS 6 - 6.5% under max., but the Speer example's load only generated 29,000 p.s.i., before things went wrong with the seating depth.
    If the OP has a chronograph, I advise him to run 10 - 12 of the reloads with the longest o.a.l. through it & calculate the average velocity & standard deviation. ALSO, take note of the fired primers vs. some fired factory rounds. Repeat this process with with 10 - 12 of the reloads that are shorter by 0.017". If the shorter rounds don't give velocities expected of a .38 Super, and the primers don't look appreciably flatter than on the factory rounds, you MAY be alright. But the real answer is to do whatever must be done to keep o.a.l. at some prudent length, + 0.005"(or SMALLER).
    Unfortunately I don't have a chronograph. I plan to pull all the bullets that came in under the OAL just to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by 93Bandit View Post
    I'm using a Lee 356-125-2R mould, and so far the boolits are dropping around 130-133gn. I am using the shake n bake method to PC so I do understand there will be some variation. I'm using Sport Pistol, 3.9gn. The max charge for this load is 4.2gn.

Absolutely nothing to worry about, send it!

Until you perfect your PC methods you'll see those variations in OAL, especially with certain seating stems. Some are worse than others. What may help is to use an "M" type expander die if you're not using one already. The "M" expander will allow your boolit to start straight and take less force to seat so instead of having to use a round nose seater you can use a flat seater which will give you much more consistent OAL's.

Now about that boolit. I've worked up many loads with that same boolit using more than a few different powders, including Sport Pistol. One of my go-to plinking loads using the 356-125-2R (sized to .357") with Sport Pistol is 4 grains @1.070" OAL. From a 5" 1911 that load averages only 1054fps. Hardly a high pressure load.

Boolit Bub
    Absolutely nothing to worry about, send it!

Until you perfect your PC methods you'll see those variations in OAL, especially with certain seating stems. Some are worse than others. What may help is to use an "M" type expander die if you're not using one already. The "M" expander will allow your boolit to start straight and take less force to seat so instead of having to use a round nose seater you can use a flat seater which will give you much more consistent OAL's.

Now about that boolit. I've worked up many loads with that same boolit using more than a few different powders, including Sport Pistol. One of my go-to plinking loads using the 356-125-2R (sized to .357") with Sport Pistol is 4 grains @1.070" OAL. From a 5" 1911 that load averages only 1054fps. Hardly a high pressure load.
    Wow, thanks for the info! I've almost finished pulling all the boolits under 1.12 OAL, guess I didn't need to? Oh well, wasn't too many.

I'm glad to know someone else is using this boolit. I wasn't sure when I ordered the mould. I ordered it and started casting before I joined this forum. Have you used titegroup with this boolit? Found a local guy selling some for a decent price and thought I might get some to try

Unfortunately I don't have a chronograph. I plan to pull all the bullets that came in under the OAL just to be safe.
    Not req'd for 0.020" diff unless your loads were at max, you wont see much diff. Look at 0.020" on your calipers. That is a thick business card worth, not going to cause issues.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    Not req'd for 0.020" diff unless your loads were at max, you wont see much diff. Look at 0.020" on your calipers. That is a thick business card worth, not going to cause issues.
    I didn't think it would make too much of a difference, but some seemed concerned... However I don't blame them, always a good idea to be cautious.

Wow, thanks for the info! I've almost finished pulling all the boolits under 1.12 OAL, guess I didn't need to? Oh well, wasn't too many.

I'm glad to know someone else is using this boolit. I wasn't sure when I ordered the mould. I ordered it and started casting before I joined this forum. Have you used titegroup with this boolit? Found a local guy selling some for a decent price and thought I might get some to try

Titegroup is a great powder for 9mm. It's one of my favorites with the Lee 120TC boolit. Try it, you'll like it,

Boolit Bub
    Titegroup is a great powder for 9mm. It's one of my favorites with the Lee 120TC boolit. Try it, you'll like it,
    I'll have to try it then. Might need to try that mould as well.

Boolit Buddy
    I have that same mold. I cast and load for a sa-35 9mm with it. I experienced some inconsistencies seating initially due to th seating stem engraving. Using a flat stem tightened things up. For the ones already sealed too deep: put them in an inertia puller. Tap them out far enough to reseat to your desired OAL with the flat stem in your seating die.
    Willie

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
    I have that same mold. I cast and load for a sa-35 9mm with it. I experienced some inconsistencies seating initially due to th seating stem engraving. Using a flat stem tightened things up. For the ones already sealed too deep: put them in an inertia puller. Tap them out far enough to reseat to your desired OAL with the flat stem in your seating die.
    Willie
    Where does one obtain a flat stem? I've thought about filling the engraving on mine with some epoxy to flatten it. Is this a bad idea?

I have an inertia puller and used it to pull all the bullets completely. I didn't even think about just tapping it to pull them out enough to reseat. I'll have to keep that in mind for next time.

Where does one obtain a flat stem? I've thought about filling the engraving on mine with some epoxy to flatten it. Is this a bad idea?

I have an inertia puller and used it to pull all the bullets completely. I didn't even think about just tapping it to pull them out enough to reseat. I'll have to keep that in mind for next time.
    Depends on your dies, many companies offer diff seating stem profile. JB weld your own is perfectly fine.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy

My dies are Redding. I was able to buy one from them that fit perfectly.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    Depends on your dies, many companies offer diff seating stem profile. JB weld your own is perfectly fine.
    My 9mm die set is the Hornady taper crimp. They come with a beveled seating stem and a flat one. Like billmc2 said, most companies offer different seating stems. Contact the company that made your seating die.

Boolit Master
    Get yourself a mold for a flat nose bullet and use a flat seating punch.
    Simplify and move on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12