Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Direct TV alternatives ?

Direct TV alternatives ?

been a subscriber for 30 years - since the AT+T takeover have had numerous customer service problems + outrages price increases - many programing changes, dropping OAN + NewsMax + introducing numerous biased + woke programs have forced me to drop them - looking for good alternatives + cost is a factor - any suggestions ? -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Get an antenna. Plenty of garbage, but free. Enough decent stuff if looked for.

Boolit Buddy
    Agree with brassrat....I switched to an antenna about 5 years ago. Depending on where you live, you can get quite a few channels via the antenna. You will lose some stuff, but I find you can just get clips on either YT or Rumble.

I was paying $80/mo for cable and phone...now I just pay for internet. Over 5 years, that's $4800. I doubt I would have received $4800 in enjoyment

Antenna is ok. I use it cat camp.

At home we stream TV. We are on HULU Live and Friendly. Also, with a Roku stick you get programming from Roku free. There are also other free services for streaming. Good thing is, NO CONTRACT. You can cut off, on whenever. Just have to have a descent internet connection.

Since Dish was bought by Direct TV / AT &T the choices if you live in the woods has gotten slim. Neighbor has streaming, using a land line, DSL, with You Tube and Netflix Streaming service. I am not a sports nut so that service and setup does not suit my desires. There are other streaming services to choose from.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Cast10 View Post

At home we stream TV. We are on HULU Live and Friendly. Also, with a Roku stick you get programming from Roku free. There are also other free services for streaming. Good thing is, NO CONTRACT. You can cut off, on whenever. Just have to have a descent internet connection.
    Another "thumbs up" for Roku, if you have a DSL internet connection.

Newsmax, Real Americas Voice, RSBN are free. TUBI-TV is free, with plenty of movies/entertainment to choose from. If you want OAN, there is a $5/month subscription.
    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

We cut our 100$ cable bill down to 35$ a month basic. Then added a Fire TV, spent a little on netflix, hulu, britbox. Now we have so many options we almost never watch cable.

You do need a good internet connect and if your using Wifi as your fire TV connection you might want to invest in a 20$ booster.

In the living room I have the bigger fire tv box that is maybe 4 inches square and not quite an inch thick because it had an RJ-45 port. Ran a lan cord to it and no more streaming.

But my wife manages pretty well in the bedroom with just the older fire stick.

Also if you want you can get Roku on the fire TV. We watch it some.

We are also subscribed to HBO + which has some good stuff on it.

Netflix is IMO best for movies, Hulu there are several series we watch there including The Rookie, 911, 911 lone star, Justified, Station 19, and Orville.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Moderator Emeritus

We dropped Dish awhile ago and switched to just streaming over the internet. I have Frontier which means my internet speeds suck. If we can do it almost anyone can. There was or still is a promotion with Verizon wireless where I get Hulu, Disney, and ESPN free. I couple that with my Roku and find there is plenty to watch when we do. Newsmax is available and we watch some each day. Huge drop in monthly fees and we don't miss it at all. Check with your cell provider to see if they have promotions. Good luck.
    Ron

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Get rid of cable and get a an antenna. If you have Internet get a fire stick if you don’t have a smart TV. Did it about 8 years ago and never looked back.

have not considered antenna because i would miss RFD, AHC, history, NewsMax, PBS + a few orhers - also i can not confirm that Dish is owned by DTV - will check out Verizon + sling today -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

as they say in latin

Boolit Master

I worry about my internet connection seeing how it drops out a few times a week,my cell coverage uses the internet connection without it the cell phone only has one bar, it's living in the sticks only internet I can get is through the Phone company. Hopefully this thread will shed some light on the streaming services that are available I have to find another service for TV any boby use "Prime"??
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master

I worry about my internet connection seeing how it drops out a few times a week,my cell coverage uses the internet connection without it the cell phone only has one bar, it's living in the sticks only internet I can get is through the Phone company. Hopefully this thread will shed some light on the streaming services that are available I have to find another service for TV any boby use "Prime"??
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

SSGoldfart We have prime and use it along with others. I would venture to say close to half of what we watch comes from Prime.

Some 6 years ago I had Amazon contact me via email about getting prime. They had a fairly sweet deal but I did not know enough about them.
    A year later I got another email showing that if I had taken prime the year before I would have saved 267$ in shipping charges. Well that convinced me. I joined. Shortly afterword we got our first Fire TV stick and wow, there was all that good stuff to watch on prime.

Now I do think that since 2 day shipping has pretty much gone out the window. Most of our stuff takes 4 days to a week. So I think our cost for prime should be drastically reduced. And while I may threaten to quit I really doubt I ever would.

Good deal all around IMO.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Moderator Emeritus

I told DirectTV where to go 3+ years ago... now I use a Roku box to stream SlingTV, Netflix, FreeVee(great for movies!) etc etc... no off the air TV here to speak of so it was my only choice.

Boolit Buddy
    We cancelled Dish about 3 years ago and are using roku. We subscribed to Philo ($20 per month) because it carries the 3 Hallmark channels which the wife likes to watch. Not much in the way of sports or news, but I pick up most of the Indianapolis channels (50 miles away) with a small outdoor antenna.

Boolit Master
    I live in an area where an antenna is not an option. Almost zero reception here. (mountains, trees etc.) so that idea got shot down. But we have discussed the idea of dropping Direct a lot. We do enjoy a FEW regular channel programs,,, and we could stream stuff. But my better half says she's not so sure.
    See,,, I'm technology challenged & can screw up just about anything with a remote thingy. Too darn many buttons & trying to figure out which one does what & how.
    We have 3 remotes sitting by our chairs,, and it's EASY to hit the wrong button on the wrong remote at the wrong time.

Too bad we don't have a 10 yr old to run such stuff for me.

Boolit Master

Currently use "Century Link" for landline and Internet and Cell service extender. Have been dissatisfied with their service for years; but given remote location of the Montana House - that's been the only solution. Dumped Direc TV about 5 years ago due to continual cost increases and ability to get same service from Internet.

I am thinking of dumping the Century Link in March, Will move the Internet to Musks' Starlink Satellite, and have the Land Line telephone number moved to something like "Magic Jack". That will give me the Cell Phone extender, Land Line, Internet, and Streaming Television (Amazon Firestick, Roku, and AppleTV devices - each kids family visiting uses something different). Price Starlink lists would be less than what I am paying Century Link. Bandwidth would be similar as Centurylink is limited to 10Mbps (actual tests indicate max 8Mbps) over fiber (copper interface to house) in our area.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

still checking + trying to compare options - FYI Verizon made me aware of the FCC ACP program that gives discounts to low income + government programs on services - reduced rates + computer purchase allowances available to those that qualify -

as they say in latin

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    We have a Roku and a Fire edition smartish TVs probably 1/3 of what I wanted to watch when we dropped the satellite services were either subscription, buy the box set , or high cost add ons . My gross phone bill is more than my house payment as was the Dish and Direct before it . We started checking out features on the TV apps . Yep there's a few things I miss that require a subscription to a service but with the www cost and $5-12/month with annual discounts we would still be ahead of the cable/sat cost . We're up about $1800 since the drop .
    Tubi , Xite , FreeVee , and 3-4 for the tots and teen plus the Disney via Verizon pretty much keep us happy Disney is I think $12/mo now but it's 20 directly vs attached to the phone . We have the same the same 15 sec spot commercials 1-6 at a time on the free stuff and none on the subscription apps . I avoid the news like the plague , I get enough feed via the phone . Probably everything you can want is logged under common names you'll recognize if you use the search function , just like Google or duck duck .

We are rural but have land line www and 4 bar phone service in a Hamlet of 300 .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master
    What ever you do, do NOT go with spectrum cable.
    We call it rectum here.
    They promise all kinds of things, then slowly raise prices, and cut back on service.
    Most cable TV have so many useless channels, but what rectum does is count HD channels, that are the same as non-HD, as the channels you get.
    So we end up with 1/3 of the same channels.
    For now I'm stuck with rectum.
    There are a few stations that I watch most of the time, not on antenna.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast