Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Size of animal to size of projectile

Banned

Size of animal to size of projectile

How are you guys adjusting your size of projectile to size of animal. 2022 seems to be the year of the 357 magnum going back to being a useful hunting hand gun caliber for deer, and using 158 grain bullets to boot.

SO as i have had bad deer forage last two years, and last years babies have not really grown much at all. Honestly look as if they are 100# baby goats. Shooting them feels wrong somehow, but this year i am going to try to get one with my 357. Two are boys that i can see, and a few unknowns.

If I look at matts bullets, the options for "heavy" slugs is easy, that 157-170 grain range is rife with them.

THis is based on "bigger deer = thicker/stronger bone to shoot through"

Boolit Master
    Bullet placement trumps almost all other factors. IMHO with a 357 magnum, being able to hit accurately in the vitals is more important than using a bigger, more powerful caliber. A 158 grain 357 bullet is going to give away velocity quickly, so range to target also needs to be taken into consideration. The key to a successful hunt using this caliber (besides having some good luck) would be to practice often with your hunting loads so that you'll be confident of making a good shot in the field, and also to use good judgement and not try for shots that are too far away. By that I mean, even if you can hit a deer at 100 yards, will your load have enough energy for a humane kill at that range?

Moderator Emeritus

Agree with 405grain. Out here, 50 yards is probably more of an average distance with all the trees in these mountains. Your 357 should be good assuming your shot placement is too.

Boolit Master
    Go To the slaughter house.. What they use???Revealing "proof" of shot placement.. we are talking efficiency here.. Quite an experience for a 10 Year Old!!!!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Get a 77/357 rifle and stretch your range and velocity. I learned quickly what works on deer in a 44 mag with another 400 to 600 plus fps over pistol velocities in my 77/44 using the same projectiles. Fun little carry rifle that feels like I’m carrying a red Ryder BB gun. Almost no recoil with light trail boss loads.

Boolit Master

If you're going for a solid, non-expanding or minimally-expanding bullet, you're not going to have any penetration concerns at all at any reasonable bullet weight. A good option if you want to engage from quartering angles or break shoulder bones

A 158 grain hollowpoint is likely to be a slightly deeper diving version of a good police duty load. Figure your smaller deer are thinner than the average human torso those are cooked up for, but perhaps longer fore to aft. You'll have a reasonable expectation of bullet recovery on the exit side's hide.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    For deer I use a Keith style bullet with no HP but in a softer lead. Anything else gets a 125 grain HP.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

The 180 gr RCBS 357 bullet is designed for use in a revolver. Works well with rifle primers and H-110 or 296. The 180 is not quite as accurate as the 200gr RCBS, but easier to reload for.
    I used the 200 gr RCBS in an 8" python for over 4 decades in competition using Brass/Brass taper crimped over the ogive with a heavily compressed load of H-110. This load works well in 94 C lever gun.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

If you are shooting 357 out of a carbine, Hodgson Lil'Gun can get you a lot more velocity out of the same 158gr or whatever. I would consider it adequate at 100 yards at the speeds you can get it up to.

Banned
    6" revolver

My thing has been that the .223 was popularized by people in florida hunting sub 100 pound deer, and didnt transfer well to large size deer unless you had tracking downs and fenced in 70 acres.

I was thinking something of the heavier bullets as sold by matts bullets,

HG #244
    Cramer #19
    HP version of Lyman 358429 mold
    Saeco mold #382
    Lyman mold 358432 (heavy version).
    H&G mold #37

Seem to be in the sweet spot of weight from some posts on here, but some seem to be more "interesting"

Boolit Master
    I use a cast 158 in 357 for deer. As previously stated, shot placement is the key to a good humane harvest. I also use jacketed soft points with very good results. Best of luck.

Banned
    my revolver just shoots 158 grain perfectly, swc or jsp. SO seeing that "normal and acceptible" perked me up.

Boolit Grand Master

For many years I've found the 358156, GC'd and cast of 16-1 alloy and HP'd pushed at 1400 fps out of a 6 - 7 1/2" barreled revolver to be an excellent deer killer.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Amen mr Gibson. The Thompson bullet in hollow point kills antelope quite well.

Vendor Sponsor

By the sound of it, wouldn't take much boolit at all to take your baby goat deer, don't overthink it. Any K boolit or WFN in soft alloy @1200fps would do it nicely with less recoil and less velocity. Again as previously mentioned, shot placement is more important than boolit choice.

What is your anticipated range? Rifle? Carbine? Revolver?
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    I have looked at the 357 as a deer hunting tool from the perspective as a muzzleloading deer hunter. All of my ML deer hunting in the last few years was with a 45 cal ML and patched round ball. The PRB weighs 132 gr. approx. and after being launched at 1600 fps approximately, the velocity drops quickly to below 1000 and the ball expands little if at all. Modern conventional thought would lead one to believe that I might as well be throwing rocks. Admittedly, I have not harvested many deer larger than 200# lately, but the 150# deer didn't seem to get the conventional wisdom memo. From that perspective, shot placement and a terminal velocity of 900 or greater will get the job done. I am not a fan of hollow points but a good flat pointed projectile is also important. BTW - Welcome to our forum.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm w/ 405grain. An understanding of energy required vs energy delivered is very important. Energy loss as the distance increases makes the difference between efficient and inhumane. I'd be aiming at heart / lung and not shoulder / bone. good luck.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BandeauRouge View Post
    How are you guys adjusting your size of projectile to size of animal. 2022 seems to be the year of the 357 magnum going back to being a useful hunting hand gun caliber for deer, and using 158 grain bullets to boot.

SO as i have had bad deer forage last two years, and last years babies have not really grown much at all. Honestly look as if they are 100# baby goats. Shooting them feels wrong somehow, but this year i am going to try to get one with my 357. Two are boys that i can see, and a few unknowns.

If I look at matts bullets, the options for "heavy" slugs is easy, that 157-170 grain range is rife with them.

THis is based on "bigger deer = thicker/stronger bone to shoot through"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4x4 357 mag.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	136.4 KB 
ID:	309956
    160lbs 4x4 mulie buck. Henry single shot .357mag. First shot was both lungs at 109 yards and he started walking funny, 2nd shot was 120 yards heart and he fell over. 162grn Lee flat nose GC at about 1500fps. (14.5grns of IMR 4227 *do not duplicate load etc.*
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	70 yard deer 2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	162.3 KB 
ID:	309957
    70 yards, ruger GP100, 152grn button nose wad cutter. 1300fps. One shot, both lungs and broke offside shoulder. Maybe 120lbs on the hoof. Not quite a max load of HS6. Walked 10 yards and fell over.

Boolit Master
    Nice wolfdog!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I agree with what was already said. Bullet placement is the most important factor. If you practice regularly, a light caliber can get the job done. I’ve seen moose taken with 223s by natives in Alaska.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast