Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Ron Long underhammer

Boolit Bub

Ron Long underhammer

Trying a long shot here. I recently was given some underhammer castings by a friend. My friend got them from Ron Long. My friend says he only saw one of these rifles that Long built and that was in the early 80s. I'm trying to find somebody who has one of these rifles to get an idea of the rest of the design, all I have are the rough castings.
    Thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    What style of underhammer is it? There are a number of different arrangements and I am by no means an expert on them. I have a Hopkins and Allen kit i put together and love but there are lots of other cool designs out there. I'll be curious to see where your project leads.

I swaged some custom bullets for a guy in Switzerland years ago that built the most exqisite Billinghurst long range target rifles. He even made an underhammer flintlock pistol that another guy in Sweden used in competition. I would have loved to see that in operation. Its a bit of a head scratcher!

Boolit Bub
    I'm not sure if these are an actual historic design or something that was designed fresh . You could probably say they are influenced by billinghurst, but different from the other commercial offering.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25134.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	309946

Boolit Buddy
    http://www.baumkircher.at/index.php/en/

Andreas retired a couple of years ago but his website is still up. His workmanship is stunning.

Boolit Grand Master

We have not owned an Underhammer. Just cannot see one in the hunting we do. Maybe a Mule Ear side type.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    In practice, they work quite well. In years of use, I have never had a cap fall off or any of the other things you might think would go wrong. I just won a primitive biathlon race which involves running in snowshoes and muzzleloaders. It ran flawlessly. The ignition is as fast as a centerfire.

Boolit Master

I am left handed. There is no flash in my face with an underhammer.

Boolit Master
    under hammers are a great gun. I have 3 different HOPKINS & ALLEN models. 45 & 50 call's.