Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newer Lee Deluxe APP Press

Newer Lee Deluxe APP Press

With 2023 here and cruising along, Lee is introducing a few new items to their catalog to make our hobby more of a joy and lighter on our wallet than others.

Last night I was looking on their website and noticed that Lee has revised the design of the Lee APP Press, this version has the roller grip as a standard feature and a new and maybe improved primer feeder mechanism.

https://leeprecision.com/images/P/91898.jpg
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DeluxeAPP_PrimerStaged.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	186.4 KB 
ID:	309909
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Seems that Lee is heavy into product improvement now. I have been looking at the APP, but some have had issues. I think I’ll wait a bit longer.

Sam Sackett

I'm wondering if they've done anything to improve the shell holders a little. So far all I've tried with mine, (an early production) has been 9mm and I get torn rims 1-2 out of 5 with LEE 9mm carbide dies, cases lubed or not, machine centered or hand centered. It's adjusted and feeds fine until that tell tale, ''ka-chunk!'' of a rim being ripped off coming out of the die.

So far it's been a waste of money, seems they took too much off the shell holder when they opened it up to feed straight through.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Are you sizing? The package blister for the 9mm says not to size 9mm with xpress shell holders.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by deces View Post
    Are you sizing? The package blister for the 9mm says not to size 9mm with xpress shell holders.
    There were at least two variations of Xpress shell holders. The early ones, being at least the first few months when the APP came out were junk. They were not cut right, and they didn't have a releif to allow the odd primer through. They were later redesigned. The new shell holders are a millon times better. Just the other day I did 500 5.56 cases, full sized in a Lee die, and did not have a single problem in the newer Xpress shell holder. I've done thousands of all my handgun cases without a single problem.

P.S. I hate the roller grip. The original APP press handle is great. The only thing better would be a wood ball grip.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    There were at least two variations of Xpress shell holders. The early ones, being at least the first few months when the APP came out were junk. They were not cut right, and they didn't have a releif to allow the odd primer through. They were later redesigned. The new shell holders are a millon times better. Just the other day I did 500 5.56 cases, full sized in a Lee die, and did not have a single problem in the newer Xpress shell holder. I've done thousands of all my handgun cases without a single problem.

P.S. I hate the roller grip. The original APP press handle is great. The only thing better would be a wood ball grip.
    Well, I'll be.....I'm not the only one. I agree on the handle. The roller grip is a limitation in my opinion. You have one angle to use the press.....and that's not always convenient. Much prefer balls....the little plastic one that comes on the APP is almost as good.

I have bigger heavier presses for sizing. I love the APP for brass and bullet processing like it was first designed for.....but I also converted my heavier duty RCBS Summit press for processing bigger rifle brass using Lee's pass through shell holders and love that too.

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    I really enjoy my Lee APP press . It does everything I bought it for better than I expected. Granted I strictly use mine for bullet sizing. I use NOE sizers with the press, I hate sizing bullets, but with this press it’s a pleasure.
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

I can see the plastic part where the shell sits being a problem over time. I know the old ACP priming system was pretty weak, it had this anemic spring that was meant to keep the primers from double feeding and it would get ripped off from the depriming fingers above. I think they solved this finally.

Boolit Grand Master

I can see the plastic part where the shell sits being a problem over time. I know the old ACP priming system was pretty weak, it had this anemic spring that was meant to keep the primers from double feeding and it would get ripped off from the depriming fingers above. I think they solved this finally.
    Maybe it will, but based on what I see it's going to be tens of thousands of cycles. In my last order to Lee I also bought all the plastic parts for any lee presses I had. Every single plastic part was free. Realistically I'm going to loose that spare before I ever wear out the first one. I still think the main thing that will wear out on the APP is going to be the upper tool head that slides on the tie bars. For how inexpensive these are, I'm not concerned. The APP has been one of the few presses I had high hopes for, and it over achieved way beyond that.

Maybe it will, but based on what I see it's going to be tens of thousands of cycles. In my last order to Lee I also bought all the plastic parts for any lee presses I had. Every single plastic part was free. Realistically I'm going to loose that spare before I ever wear out the first one. I still think the main thing that will wear out on the APP is going to be the upper tool head that slides on the tie bars. For how inexpensive these are, I'm not concerned. The APP has been one of the few presses I had high hopes for, and it over achieved way beyond that.
    Have to agree! It was the first Lee press I had to have out of the opening chute.....was not disappointed. Was it perfect? Of course not, but it was sure easy to tweak and modify here and there to make it pretty darn close for my needs. The price/value ratio is the best in the market.

The experience made it easy to want to become an early adopter Pro 6000 user. Was not disappointed there either.
    Last edited by GWS; 02-04-2023 at 01:26 AM.

I still think the main thing that will wear out on the APP is going to be the upper tool head that slides on the tie bars.
    I believe the head is Zamak or something like that, Ive had one of their die bushings jump threads and stripped out a fair bit of the quick change bushing, the female counterpart on the press looked undamaged.

Here is a piece of kit that allows one to load bullets directly into the new boolit feeder tube after sizing.
    https://gallery.leeprecision.net/pic...0/category/262

Boolit Grand Master

Here is a piece of kit that allows one to load bullets directly into the new boolit feeder tube after sizing.
    https://gallery.leeprecision.net/pic...0/category/262
    I saw that, and I think the potential is there to really change the game. Just think, you could size/lube your bullets in a single step right into that. The tubes are dirt cheap, you could have tons of them loaded up if you wanted. Put it right on the new 6 pack press which has enough stations to allow their own bullet feed die. I own the new Lee bullet feed does in 30 and 45 caliber, they seem to work great, amazingly simple design.

Suddenly Lee has made it possible to load ammo nonstop with a case feeder, and bullet feeder, and a primer tray you just fill up. No hand inserting cases, no primer tubes, and a bullet feed system to boot that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I still think their case feeder needs some work, but I can get by with what is offered. I Tried the American Accurate Collator for Lee presses on my pro 6k, using 7.62x39 and every case fed right.
    I am glad to hear the boolit feeders are good to go, I'll pick them up when the retailers get them.

Boolit Grand Master

I think it depends on the case. 6mm Remington is kind of erratic in the case feeder. 223 Remington works fine. Any pistol caliber is magic with that case collator. I'll have to try that American Accurate one if that works with rifle cases.

So I guess there are two versions American Accurate collator, the early ones are what is shown on the youtube videos and the new one has a SS insert that is placed on top of the hopper, this is supposed to be used only for pistol cases.
    I'd imagine all the new ones come with the SS insert.
    Last edited by deces; 02-06-2023 at 01:51 AM.

I made a rifle conversion to mount on Lee's original, using the ole 3D printer.....and it works for .223 and .308 equally well. But I ended up making the 3D printed electric collators for cases and bullets both, for about $70 a piece. But of course you have to buy a 3d printer first. That's the kicker.....on the other hand once you have one, you can print for cheap .... many. I have printed 4 so far.....one more needed.

Last edited by GWS; 02-06-2023 at 02:44 AM.

Now that is pretty neat. I wish I could figure out the settings on my ender 3 and print stuff

Boolit Mold
    I still think their case feeder needs some work, but I can get by with what is offered. I Tried the American Accurate Collator for Lee presses on my pro 6k, using 7.62x39 and every case fed right.
    I am glad to hear the boolit feeders are good to go, I'll pick them up when the retailers get them.

Do you have a link to American Accurate ? Tried a search but only came up with YouTube and eBay.
    Lee’s collator leaves a lot to be desired with rifle brass

Thanks

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast