Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2

Thread: 'Tail' End of Squirrel Season

Boolit Master

'Tail' End of Squirrel Season

Had the itch to hunt the tree rodents this past season for the first time in nearly 30 years. Last June the oldest and I camped in S. KY to pot a few as a fun weekend get away. I didn't really target them this Fall since hunting efforts were focused on hunting and gathering the venison, of which my cast boolits rewarded me splendidly once again, as they have for many years.
    With the squirrel season winding down fast the thought was I best get out on this warm, sunny day to see if any were in my friend's hickory stand. Of the three spied, these two permitted me time to aim small and drop both out of their respective trees.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized Squirrels.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	309875

May not be personally cast boolits used but they were RN swagged lead, nonetheless. Never expected to find a Grey in this woods along with the Fox squirrels I've seen in it the numerous times I've walked past this patch on my way to the deer hunting spot. Glad I got out to enjoy the afternoon. Now to get them skinned and soaking in a salt bath overnight.

Boolit Master

Nice shooting! How do the foxes compare to grays, eating wise?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    Nice shooting! How do the foxes compare to grays, eating wise?
    Funny you ask this. I haven't eaten a Fox squirrel in decades. The way my Grandma made them in gravy over biscuits was excellent. My wife wasn't raised with wild game and they were so so. My Grandpa told me 35 years ago that he wouldn't give 10 fox squirrels for one grey, as he said the grays were better. Two weeks ago was the first time I've actually eaten a gray squirrel in gravy and enjoyed it very much. (my son still has the greys from last June in his freezer and has not taken the time to bring them over to prepare, though I've asked many times) I plan to cook these two the same way and see how much difference there will be in taste, as I am curious to know side by side.
    One thing I do know, neither wanted to give up their hide. I've tried the cut through the tail, step on it while pulling up on the back feet multiple times but normally the tail just pulls off.

Thanks for sharing your hunt. Squirrel hunting and eating are fun!
    I’ve been skinning them for 50+ years- and I still think that I skin a deer faster than a fancy rat.
    I think that I’ll try the air compressor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

And the Conclusion to This 'Tail'

Watched more of the Step on Tail method of skinning on the Utube yesterday. I've not been slicing the hide to the right and left far enough, or cutting at the vent, which is probably the reason I've not had the success that others do using this technique. Next time I hope the process will go easier.

Also, as noted above, cooked both the Fox and Grey squirrels this morning at the same time in two different pressure cookers using the exact same chicken broth saved from the thighs I cooked last week. Other than the animals all other components were the identical.
    Grey:

Name:	Cook Grey Squirrel.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	309939

Fox Squirrel:

Name:	Cook Fox Squirrel.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	309940

My conclusion? They were both excellent and tender, having cooked under pressure for 35 minutes the meat simply pulled off the bone on both animals. My former wife would not use a pressure cooker as she was certain the kitchen would blow up. Consequently, squirrels we shot back then were considerably tougher to chew. Not these, though, both were as tender as the other due to the method of cooking. As for taste? I doubt most could tell the difference, but I will say the Grey was a bit sweeter meat. The Fox was very good in its own right. My grandparents were connoisseurs of small game and I can see why Grandpa was partial to the Grey squirrel meat. Yet, he would happily dine on the Fox squirrel meat and gravy Grandma prepared throughout the years, and so did I. Having prepared gravy this morning the Fox squirrel meat was added. I thanked the LORD for the meal and breakfast consisted of that poured over the whole wheat bread I bake regularly. It was quite delicious. The remainder of the meat will be use before long, as well.

Boolit Grand Master
    would you care to pm me the recipe's, methods for your squirrel
    I have only had them as a kid when hunting with my buddies of the same age
    we would prepare them over a camp fire after the hunt and as you can imagine
    they weren't very good
    I have heard so many tell of how good they are and I have a woods full of them so I would like to try again
    thanks
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    would you care to pm me the recipe's, methods for your squirrel
    I have only had them as a kid when hunting with my buddies of the same age
    we would prepare them over a camp fire after the hunt and as you can imagine
    they weren't very good
    I have heard so many tell of how good they are and I have a woods full of them so I would like to try again
    thanks
    Please check your PM. Roasted Squirrel over the campfire is the epitome of roughing it. How romantic of a mental picture, but how incredibly tough that muscular animal had to be prepared in this manner. I think pound for pound they are the toughest critter in the woods. No wonder you shied away from hunting them since. LOL. Hope you enjoy them from now on.

I too have been nailing squirrels with my 22. My suppressor finally got out of jail and I've been using it squirrel hunting, which is nice. I've probably got a dozen in the freezer, so I could use a good recipe too if you wouldn't mind sharing. I have a crock pot but no pressure cooker. Thanks!

Boolit Master

Thank you for the taste test!

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherO View Post
    Watched more of the Step on Tail method of skinning on the Utube yesterday. I've not been slicing the hide to the right and left far enough, or cutting at the vent, which is probably the reason I've not had the success that others do using this technique. Next time I hope the process will go easier.

Also, as noted above, cooked both the Fox and Grey squirrels this morning at the same time in two different pressure cookers using the exact same chicken broth saved from the thighs I cooked last week. Other than the animals all other components were the identical.
    Grey:

Name:	Cook Grey Squirrel.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	309939

Fox Squirrel:

Name:	Cook Fox Squirrel.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	309940

My conclusion? They were both excellent and tender, having cooked under pressure for 35 minutes the meat simply pulled off the bone on both animals. My former wife would not use a pressure cooker as she was certain the kitchen would blow up. Consequently, squirrels we shot back then were considerably tougher to chew. Not these, though, both were as tender as the other due to the method of cooking. As for taste? I doubt most could tell the difference, but I will say the Grey was a bit sweeter meat. The Fox was very good in its own right. My grandparents were connoisseurs of small game and I can see why Grandpa was partial to the Grey squirrel meat. Yet, he would happily dine on the Fox squirrel meat and gravy Grandma prepared throughout the years, and so did I. Having prepared gravy this morning the Fox squirrel meat was added. I thanked the LORD for the meal and breakfast consisted of that poured over the whole wheat bread I bake regularly. It was quite delicious. The remainder of the meat will be use before long, as well.

Boolit Grand Master

And fire roasted Mallard !!
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ElCheapo View Post
    I too have been nailing squirrels with my 22. My suppressor finally got out of jail and I've been using it squirrel hunting, which is nice. I've probably got a dozen in the freezer, so I could use a good recipe too if you wouldn't mind sharing. I have a crock pot but no pressure cooker. Thanks!
    Crock pot works, just takes longer. When they are fork tender, but not quite falling off the bone, I pull them out, quarter them, flour/season, then fry in deep fat. Fine eating!

Boolit Master
    I'll share what I sent to White Eagle for the way I ate them growing up, and how I've prepared those I just cooked for ElCheapo's consideration, and anyone else interested:

I'm not expert in any manner but having watched my grandmother turn squirrels into fine table fair is an inspiration. I pressure cook chicken leg/thighs often and always pour the broth into jars while it is still warm to store in the refrigerator. The grease solidifies at the top with the broth becoming jello in consistency once cold. Depending how I season the chicken will result in how the broth tastes. My mood and what I want to do with the chicken drives that, so season as you like.

Not cooking chicken? Use water, chicken seasoning with other seasonings to make your own broth, only there won't be any grease to add to the squirrel gravy. Oil can take the place of the chicken fat, though. (I try not to eat much fat these days so I keep this to a minimum. Some oil or fat is helpful but nearly as much as my grandparent's generation used) Or you can season it with what is in the spice rack to however you like your gravy to taste, doesn't have to be chicken, but those tastes go together very well. There are an incredible amount of gravy recipes on the internet to peruse, too.

The vast majority of the liquid in the gravy is the broth that was used to cook the squirrel meat in. I like to wisk milk and flour together very well before hand to keep it from becoming lumpy when introducing it in the hot oil and broth. The addition of the milk and flour is what thickens the gravy.

This morning's gravy was a bit 'big', as my son described it, in taste, due to the seasonings used the last time I cooked chicken. And it was thicker than normal as I intentionally added more flour. The next batch I'll back off on the seasoning and flour to give it a lighter flavor and less thick. Still, I enjoyed it and have eaten it happily. My son took quite a bit home with him, too.

Pressure cook the squirrel/s in the broth for 35 minutes and the meat, no matter how tough, should pull right off the bone with your fingers. If you don't have a pressure cooker then regular cooking will take longer to tenderize the meat. Some folks lightly fry the squirrel first with hot oil/fat, flour and seasonings at the bottom of the cooker before adding broth and pressure cooking. I've done both recently and it is your personal preference that will dictate which way to proceed. Add the cooked and shredded meat into the gravy while still hot on the stove. Pour over biscuits, bread, potatoes, or whatever you are inclined to eat it with.

A non-gravy style is when folks deep fry their squirrel parts dipped in flour with various seasonings. This looks delicious, but I try to keep fried foods to a rarity or not at all any more. I feel better without that in my diet as it used to be. But, if someone were to convince me to host a fish, or squirrel fry, I might be prone to agree, if only for a once in a very seldom occurrence type of event.

By the way, my son, in a separate taste test than mine, said the fox squirrel meat is good, but the grey squirrel meat was better flavored. This is what my grandpa told me all those years ago, and the same conclusion that I came to. This has been a fun experiment at the end of a productive hunting season.
    All the best,

ChristopherO