Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New vs old

Boolit Bub
    I know a lot of folks warn against the Remington made Marlins and maybe for good reason. But I have two 1894's made after Marlin was acquired by Remington.

One is a 1894CB with a 20" barrel. The other is a "slot" baby. It is a 1894C made in 2009 with a barrel stamped "North Haven" but with a "REP" stamp instead of a "JM" stamp.

Both function flawlessly and both are very accurate. I honestly don't pay much attention to roll marks. I judge the rifle by how it performs. Are they on par with my 1894 from 1901? Probably not. But they work.

I am interested in Ruger's new offerings but in all honesty I probably won't buy one. My rifles do everything I ask of them.

And I have always liked those Mossberg 30-30's also.
    Last edited by papaglenn; 02-03-2023 at 10:26 PM.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    In the end, all that matters is if the rifle works for you and you like it. I gave my 200.00 Winchester some exercise today and it did great.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    In the end, all that matters is if the rifle works for you and you like it. I gave my 200.00 Winchester some exercise today and it did great.
    I have an early AE Ranger 30-30 that I bought quite a few years ago, for $50.
    It was missing all the magazine internals.
    Bought the end cap and screw, the mag spring and follower all for around $70 shipped...
    So I have like $120 in it, is a sweet shooter.
    Had it out this morning and it did not disappoint.

RP
    Last edited by Pereira; 02-03-2023 at 10:18 PM. Reason: added pic.

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Pereira View Post
    Bought the end cap and screw, the mag spring and follower all for around $70 shipped...

RP
    You are a man after my own heart. I like buying junkers and projects and putting them back in service. My 2009 1894C looked like it had been run hard and put away wet. Missing the rear band and both front and rear sights, blueing on the barrel was missing in spots, numerous scratches etc.

But the bore was perfect and the action was tight. I am guessing that it had very few rounds through it when I got it. I got it cleaned up and it is in my truck most of the time. I generally get projects like this back together and sell them but some I keep.

I have a newer Remlin 1894cb in 45 colt. It is a great gun, functions flawlessly, shoots accurately, it is lighter than a Henry. I think when Remington first acquired Marlin, they had big problems, but they worked them out, and started making good ones.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    A few years back I picked up a Miroku 1895 Win in .30-06 that was made in the mid-80s. It is the finest example of a lever gun as far as fit and finish go of any lever gun I've owned. The action is like a bank vault. I put one of the US made copies of the "climbin' Lyman" side mount sight on it and it shoots great with cast and jacketed . GF

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    A few years back I picked up a Miroku 1895 Win in .30-06 that was made in the mid-80s. It is the finest example of a lever gun as far as fit and finish go of any lever gun I've owned. The action is like a bank vault. I put one of the US made copies of the "climbin' Lyman" side mount sight on it and it shoots great with cast and jacketed . GF
    Very nice. That is one of the guns on my bucket list. Unfortunately at my age I will never see one. But I still like to see them and hear about them.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I would prefer an older gun if it was in close to perfect condition. Cosmetics wouldn’t bother me that much, but usually the ones that were well taken care of cosmetically, are the ones in the best mechanical condition. Guns are subject to wear and tear. My Marlin 45/70 I bought new mid eighties is proof. I would never buy it if I saw it for sale but I keep and shoot it for sentimental reasons and it’s still a lot of fun.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by T.R. View Post
    This is my fairly new Mossberg model 464 featuring 16 inch barrel, marine coat metal finish, and laminated stock. 30-30 is a keeper!

Attachment 310066
    I didn't know mossberg was making levers. Looks awesome

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    From personal experience , I agree with the advice to stay away from Remington made Marlins . My first marlin was bought new around 1977 and it was a solid rifle . It did not have the same level of quality that my fifties made or sixties rifles have . The new 1894CL I got new in the nineties was very bad , both of workmanship and factory support . A Remington made 1894 was almost to the horrible level of quality . I rather doubt the new owners of the Marlin brand will revive the quality of the sixty year old rifles .

I bought one of the Browning branded model 53 rifles and to me it looks like Browning shine and performs like old style quality . I don't know what the new Japanese made "Winchesters" are like but I think they are made by the same company that makes them for Browning .

I haven't tried a Mossberg lever rifle but the other Mossberg Bolt action rifles I've bought have been VERY accurate . As for Henry rifles , handing them at the gun rack , I like them just haven't got around to trying one out .

The new made Marlins are my last choice but other guys like them .

Jack
    Yeah unfortunately it seems the new marlins are a no go. I was hopeful they'd be good

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    My favorite by a wide margin was a Win 1895 .30-40 carbine with a serial number in the mid-5000s, built shortly after the conversion from the flat side to the scalloped frame. It had clearly been a wreck that someone with limited skills had rebarreled, restocked and refinished. For all that, some mechanical tweaks and some cosmetic changes made it into a dandy shooter. I once spent a long evening troubleshooting a circa 2000 vintage Win 1894 Trapper, and was less than impressed by the machining and quality control. I had to tear the gun down completely to get all of the factory grit out of the works and the edges of lever had been left sharp instead of gently rounded. The best modern lever action I have experience with was a Browning 1895 clone in .30-06.

Quote Originally Posted by Pereira View Post

RP
    Just like mine except it looks alot better. You ever have light strikes with yours? I had to replace the hammer spring and remove most of the rebound strut.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

No sir, I haven't had a single issue with it.
    So far.

RP

Awesome. Wanna double your money? FYI if you ever do have light strikes, apparently Winchester revised the hammer spring and it's stronger than the original. You can get it for a few bux from Midwest Gun Works.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Winchester mdl 94 from every decade they were made except for the 1940s. Have several form the 1970s, including a few of the "commemoratives". My favorite was made in 1979 and then customized by me in the 1990s into a "rifle" configuration with a Numrich bbl and extra fancy wood... It's best group was ¾" @ 200 yards. However, it eats brass, having neck cracks within about 3-4 reloadings. I won several long range matches with it. Wished I could still see well enough to perform as well as it's capable.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tang sight.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	310265

However, as I'm still competing in cowboy action shoots, my favorite match rifle is a 2014 Uberti made 1873, with an 18-½" half-octagon/round bbl, in 45 Colt. I put a short stroke kit in it, lightened springs and a Cowboy45Special carrier in it. (If you're unfamiliar with the Cowboy45Special, think a 45ACP length case with a 45 Colt rim). It was a fine rifle from the factory, just now it fits my competitive needs a little better! The C45S is a great smokeless round, and works fine with BP with less powder than needed to run the old Colt round. I'm still waiting on a special order 1860 from Uberti, also with an 18-½" bbl and a steel receiver. Before I get it, it'll also get a short stroke and the C45S carrier. I have no qualms about a new gun, or an older one! I also have no qualms about making a beat up old rifle like new again. Although I've kept a couple of my old "beaters" in the condition I received them in, as they're the result of the wear & tear the men who gave them to me wrought on them.

There is every possibility that you could be happy with an older gun or a newer gun. I won't presume what your intended uses might be, but let that be your guide in choosing any firearm.
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

I like new and I like older guns also. I probably enjoy the newer ones the best. Everyone has an opinion and here is mine on new rifles.

1. Winchester 92 in any caliber. Made as well as the pre 1964 Winchesters if not better.
    2. Ruger/Marlin, the 1895's seem to be on par with the JM Marlins if not better.
    3. Henry, they are doing things right on their center fire rifles.
    4. Rossi 92's- Never had a problem with one.
    5. Uberti 1873 are great rifles.
    Last edited by jstanfield103; 02-08-2023 at 02:34 AM.
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

Boolit Master
    FiField -

Howdy !

If you want a stainless rifle ( such as a Marlin M336 XLR ), you'd be going back less than 2 decades on gun age. Perhaps that qual's as " old " ?

IMHO - I don't think the Marlins made @ the peak of workforce' experience level @ their CT location will likely ever be rivaled. My M-336 XLR .35 Remington came from within their last 2yr of production in CT, and it is just stupid accurate.

With regards,
    357Mag

Boolit Buddy
    I can tell you that the new Rossis are worlds better than the ones from 10 years ago. The new winchesters are fantastic, aside from the hammer rebound, which some don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Awesome. Wanna double your money? FYI if you ever do have light strikes, apparently Winchester revised the hammer spring and it's stronger than the original. You can get it for a few bux from Midwest Gun Works.
    Well... I better hold onto it.
    Thanks on the spring info.

RP

You ever change your mind gimme a holler!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast