Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New vs old

Boolit Bub

New vs old

What's a better choice for quality and reliability, old tried and true lever guns (insert preferred manufacturer here) or trying my luck eventually with a new marlin or another manufacturer that's pumping them out today

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    My newest lever action is 20+ years old. They all work well. Even the pistol caliber carbines that are tweaked to run fast.

The "worst" one I had was an older .357 Rossi 92 clone. Just not as smooth as the others and I sold it. But plenty of people like the Rossi so either I got a bad one or I got spoiled with the higher end offerings.

I would steer clear of the Marlins made by Remington as reports are less than stellar but I have no first hand experience with them.
    Don Verna

Wow, that’s a loaded( no pun intended) question. As far as metallurgy and computer generated parts a quality modern gun will win out. Problem is that quality isn’t as common as it used to be. The Japonese Winchester’s are well made, but just don’t have the traditional charisma as a pre-64 . The new Ruger made Marlins are getting great reviews, but I still like the originals. That said, many don’t. Henry makes some nice guns, but they just don’t have the feel as a Winchester or Marlin. I probably confused you more than when you asked, but it really does come down to that old Ford vs Chevy thing.

Boolit Master

I am an old man and I like old guns. Most of those old guns were fairly new when I bought them years ago.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master

A quality used lever gun is always 1st with us. Good barrel and function always outshines looks...
    But some new made carbines are great Our Henry .41 Mag (under $600) shot our 1st load tried into a 1.5" cloverleaf at 50 yards. Functioned perfect with a WFN 265 FNGC and every cast except a WC. That one needed to be seated out to the 1st groove.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

For me, the only good reason to get a new/modern levergun is if the buyer wants a chambering that wasn't available in the older guns.

The older guns were made by seasoned employees that took pride in their (excellent) work more than modern/union folks seem to do..

The new Marlins made by Ruger will most likely turn out to be an exception to the above.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    If I was going to spend the kind of change required for a nice lever action today, Henry all the way and probably Ruglin once they get here. None of the USA Winchesters or pre-Ruger Marlins have any kind of warranty or factory support. This wasn't a big deal when used lever actions were cheap, but now they are not and these guns tend to be pricey to fix compared to say bolt actions and AR's. I love old levers as much as anybody else but I've been down the road of trying to get one running properly before and don't have the money or patience to do it again.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

All of my lever guns (Winchester) are over 100 years old and still shoot a well as the day they were made!
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

I have all sorts of lever guns made from 1886 to 2022. The ones that work the best are from the 1920's to the 1950's. These later 20's to 50's Winchesters are in great shape, appear to be little used and have perfect bores, smooth actions and are very accurate. AND, in many cases are cheaper than what's made currently.

Boolit Grand Master

I prefer to buy and shoot older PROVEN rifles, rather than the new crud made today.
    Last edited by stubshaft; 01-29-2023 at 05:45 PM.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I prefer the older ones, but I do own a few newer ones.
    Oldest was made in 1899, the newest is a 2016 41 mag Henry.
    Most are Marlins, then Winchesters a couple Rossi M92's and a couple Henrys.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Buy quality. Older Marlins and Winchesters. They'll hold their value and are true American.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Fifield92 View Post
    What's a better choice for quality and reliability, old tried and true lever guns (insert preferred manufacturer here) or trying my luck eventually with a new marlin or another manufacturer that's pumping them out today

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    with a review like this one.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ins-from-Ruger
    I'd suggest placing an order for one in my favorite caliber, at the LGS.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ass Wallace View Post
    All of my lever guns (Winchester) are over 100 years old and still shoot a well as the day they were made!
    mine are not all old but initial manufacturing faults aside they all work fine ---doubt I could afford enough ammo to wear even one of em out

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I prefer old but the Japan Winchesters as well as most of the Italian made ones are top notch that I have seen. The Rossi's have always been hit or miss out of the box but I have not seen one that couldn't be tweaked to work correctly and I've not seen one that was not a good shooter.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

It's a tool. If it was made good, it's good. New/old does not mean quality. Assume you are considering purchase. If I can handle/shoot before purchase, I can decide. If not, there is a chance. Lots of reasons for used guns to be on the market.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    It's a tool. If it was made good, it's good. New/old does not mean quality. Assume you are considering purchase. If I can handle/shoot before purchase, I can decide. If not, there is a chance. Lots of reasons for used guns to be on the market.
    This 100%. People are hanging on to lever actions these days. If you see one for sale there is a better than average chance something is wrong with it. I bought a functional but total beater 94 a couple of years ago for $200.00 knowing full well it would be a project. I'm just now getting to the point where it works as well as my nicer rifles. I would be pretty upset if I bought a nice looking rifle for some serious change only to discover I had alot of work ahead of me and/or had to lay out even more for parts.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Bub
    This is my fairly new Mossberg model 464 featuring 16 inch barrel, marine coat metal finish, and laminated stock. 30-30 is a keeper!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hog 6.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	310066

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    From personal experience , I agree with the advice to stay away from Remington made Marlins . My first marlin was bought new around 1977 and it was a solid rifle . It did not have the same level of quality that my fifties made or sixties rifles have . The new 1894CL I got new in the nineties was very bad , both of workmanship and factory support . A Remington made 1894 was almost to the horrible level of quality . I rather doubt the new owners of the Marlin brand will revive the quality of the sixty year old rifles .

I bought one of the Browning branded model 53 rifles and to me it looks like Browning shine and performs like old style quality . I don't know what the new Japanese made "Winchesters" are like but I think they are made by the same company that makes them for Browning .

I haven't tried a Mossberg lever rifle but the other Mossberg Bolt action rifles I've bought have been VERY accurate . As for Henry rifles , handing them at the gun rack , I like them just haven't got around to trying one out .

The new made Marlins are my last choice but other guys like them .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. View Post
    This is my fairly new Mossberg model 464 featuring 16 inch barrel, marine coat metal finish, and laminated stock. 30-30 is a keeper!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hog 6.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	310066
    Those 464's we're really good guns, certainly no worse than Remlin or the last few decades of USA Winchester. It sucks that Mossy dropped them. In the end, I think it's just a case of most people will never take Mossberg seriously other than shotguns.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast