MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Components storage

Boolit Bub

Components storage

How do you guys stay organized? Looking to upgrade my organization for powders and primers. Open shelves? Cabinets? Share your set up to help me with ideas

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Open shelves.

Boolit Master
    Afraid I'm not much help. When I set up my reloading bench, it was to occupy only a small corner of the basement, but now, after adding bullet casting to the mix, the whole thing occupies nearly a full 1/2 to 3/4 of the basement. Although recently several pounds of seldom used powder got moved to a spare, large sized rural mailbox out in the shop.

I have both open shelves and drawers and cabinets. There is no such thing as enough space.

Boolit Grand Master
    This is not a good question. Are you storing enough to load 10,000 rounds, 100,000 rounds or more?
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Powders and primers I keep in powder crates. I have a steel crate made just for powder, and a plastic footlocker I use. The steel one is kind of small, and the plastic one is kind of inconvenient. I may build a couple wood ones this year. Open shelf is convenient, but does not offer any protection from heat, sun, or fire. I think a big steel cabinet would be great, but I would rather use it for other things.

You can find plans for legal powder crates online. I would put casters on them for convenience.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 01-28-2023 at 08:44 PM.

I'm big on cabinets and old refrigerators since there is always dust, saw dust, dirt, welding smoke, etc. flying around.
    I have open shelves too, but nothing on them that I'd mind if it got dirty/dusty.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Primers I keep in the house with just enough in the shop for what I'm doing. Got a cheap Home Depot thick plastic storage cabinet 6' tall and about 2' wide for powder stored in the shop. Has double doors that I keep locked to keep out the curious.

I have a metal shelf I keep powders on. They are lined up like you would see on a retailer's display, with the newer pounds behind the older. On the 4lb jugs, I keep them turned to take less left-to-right space and mark the type with a silver sharpie to see what they are.

Primers are stored in an old wall-mounted wooden cabinet.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Having been in a room with 100 million primers, another with 500,000# of smokeless powder , and another with millions of loaded rounds ....... Cans on open shelves will be fine .......but . NFPA recommends 35# of powder in a nominal 1" wood cabinet as a maximum . Another may be placed at a distance of 25' or 10' with an 8' fire wall between . It doesn't say in total how much .
    Primers should be stored separately no closer than 5' to a powder cabinet if canned it should be in nonpropagation packing, a fancy term that means 5000 CCI commercial packed in 5 boxes with equal layers of corrugated cardboard between boxes , ends , sides , top and bottom in a 30 cal can .

Except powder I keep all of the components and most of the ammo canned . The powder is mostly in the 12x18x34" locker , its right at the fringe of overstock and a couple on on the top of the cabinet.....I should move some stuff around I emptied that 15# keg of Unique , there's probably room for the rest inside now .

Dies and tools are shelved over the bench .

I need a 12×14' room with 40' of 18" deep bench top and 40'×3' each of 8&12" deep shelves with an island 34" tall and 4×6' with cabinets 3×5 under and shelves at 16"×5' on top . That would get everything in proper order .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    I have a steel crate made just for powder,

Keeping powder in a steel case is not a good idea, you have basically constructed a bomb!
    ukrifleman

Boolit Master
    Components are stored in large wooden cabinets in my reloading room.

Boolit Grand Master

A stable temperature and out of the direct sunlight is good. For years I stored my primers and powder on open shelves. The window in that room faced North so direct sunlight wasn't much of a problem and the shelves were turned in such a way to minimize it even more. The primers and powder were on different shelves a few feet apart.

Since we've moved I have a whole bedroom for a loading room and I keep my components in the walk-in closet on shelves. Thats even more protection from the sunlight. Once again, the primers and powder are on different shelves separated be several feet.

Boolit Buddy
    It depends on how much powder you have. <20 lbs? 20 to 50 Lbs? >50 lbs?
    NRA Training Counselor - Instructor
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
    FWC Hunter Safety Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Primers are in 50 cal cans in the bottom drawers of my metal base reloding benches, powder in two wooden powder magazines. The powder magazines are old ammo boxes, the smaller holds 15 one pound factory plastic bottles, the larger holds 4 or 5 of the factory 4 and8 pound jugs.
    Only primers not in the reloading benches are the open cartons in use stored in another 50 cal can on a shelf.

Boolit Master
    Check with your local regulations on approved storage methods. Also check on allowable amounts of powder and primers. Exceeding regulations can lead to nullification of insurance coverage in event of a catastrophe such as a home fire.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Obviously, this isn't for everybody...

Primers are sorted by type and stored in individual G.I. ammo cans. Powder is stored in an old refrigerator. Both are kept (well separated!) in a 20ft CONEX out back of my shop. I keep only enough of each at my loading bench to fill the current loading project.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Tread lightly when asking the authorities questions like this, especially depending on where you live. Use common sense on safe storage and don’t advertise what you have. Just saying........

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Good advice, sir!
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Tread lightly when asking the authorities questions like this, especially depending on where you live. Use common sense on safe storage and don’t advertise what you have. Just saying........
    Good advice. The area I live in it would only encourage envy and possibly loose talk, which might encourage illegal curiosity.
    John
    W.TN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast