Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Components storage

Quote Originally Posted by challenger_i View Post
    Obviously, this isn't for everybody...

Primers are sorted by type and stored in individual G.I. ammo cans. Powder is stored in an old refrigerator. Both are kept (well separated!) in a 20ft CONEX out back of my shop. I keep only enough of each at my loading bench to fill the current loading project.
    Ok, I bite, for us uninformed idiots, what in the heck is a "CONEX"? I take it is some kind of environmentally controlled storage facility.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    AKA "shipping container"...
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Tread lightly when asking the authorities questions like this, especially depending on where you live. Use common sense on safe storage and don’t advertise what you have. Just saying........
    Saw someone on FB asking for information on 3d printing undetectable firearms. Could it be an ATF sting operation?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    Having been in a room with 100 million primers, another with 500,000# of smokeless powder , and another with millions of loaded rounds ....... Cans on open shelves will be fine .......but . NFPA recommends 35# of powder in a nominal 1" wood cabinet as a maximum . Another may be placed at a distance of 25' or 10' with an 8' fire wall between . It doesn't say in total how much .
    Primers should be stored separately no closer than 5' to a powder cabinet if canned it should be in nonpropagation packing, a fancy term that means 5000 CCI commercial packed in 5 boxes with equal layers of corrugated cardboard between boxes , ends , sides , top and bottom in a 30 cal can .

Except powder I keep all of the components and most of the ammo canned . The powder is mostly in the 12x18x34" locker , its right at the fringe of overstock and a couple on on the top of the cabinet.....I should move some stuff around I emptied that 15# keg of Unique , there's probably room for the rest inside now .

Dies and tools are shelved over the bench .

I need a 12×14' room with 40' of 18" deep bench top and 40'×3' each of 8&12" deep shelves with an island 34" tall and 4×6' with cabinets 3×5 under and shelves at 16"×5' on top . That would get everything in proper order .
    Thank you for the details

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Tread lightly when asking the authorities questions like this, especially depending on where you live. Use common sense on safe storage and don’t advertise what you have. Just saying........
    Yeah not really fond of the idea of tipping off authorities what I've got

Boolit Master

Don't ask authorities about powder/primer storage. ask about ANY/ALL hazardous material storage requirements, such as gasoline and all other flammable materials.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    ask about ANY/ALL hazardous material storage requirements, such as gasoline and all other flammable materials.
    I wouldn't even do that.

In our modern and enlightened age- all the building code and city ordinances kind of info. the govt. types could quote you is available on line.
    There's a national code thing the federal govt. came up with and almost all of the state/city/county govts. just adopt and enforce it.
    Plus, if they told you something that wasn't correct- it's like getting tax info. from the IRS help lines- they aren't liable if it's wrong.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    in the heck is a "CONEX"? I take it is some kind of environmentally controlled storage facility.
    It's the common name for those secure and (basically two) standardized size Steel shipping containers you see all over.
    They are made to standard sizes so all the places/ships/trucks that handle and transport them
    have the same gear to secure and move them around quickly.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

This topic/rabbit hole can be as deep as you want it? Personally,I don't want the handloading "stuff" anywhere near our shop. Two wholey different atmospheres. Generally most folks are way under utilizing vertical stowage.... and go straight to horizontal. Then clutter it all up. Then,have this notion that "one day" they'll clean it all up and that's it.

Organization in a shop environment is an ONGOING process,not a clean it up once a year thing. Our working shop can get pretty bad in the middle of big jobs... the handloading room is a way for me to get the heck away from that busy,busy "mess".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20230206-035644_Gallery.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    One thing to consider is storing your powder on the other side of the room and only have one type of powder on or near the reloading bench. This will keep you from accidentally mixing up and using the wrong powder. Ask me how I know. I had to break down twenty 45/70 rounds because I wasn’t sure which powder I had put in and throw away the powder.

this is how I do it Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0368.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	310206
    "Hollow Points"-"From Those Who Care Enough To Send The Very Best"

Boolit Master
    You don’t actually have to ‘talk’ to anyone to find out local restrictions or ordinances, any info you want is available online. So the idea someone is blabbing about your business is a moot point. Whether you follow these things is up to you. Personally I can care less what anyone does, the Insurance company on the other hand may have other ideas in the instance of a fire. Just food for thought.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    Don't ask authorities about powder/primer storage. ask about ANY/ALL hazardous material storage requirements, such as gasoline and all other flammable materials.
    Good point

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    One thing to consider is storing your powder on the other side of the room and only have one type of powder on or near the reloading bench. This will keep you from accidentally mixing up and using the wrong powder. Ask me how I know. I had to break down twenty 45/70 rounds because I wasn’t sure which powder I had put in and throw away the powder.
    Yes that's one thing I've been very conscious of. Could be a disaster mixing up powders

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Shopdog View Post
    This topic/rabbit hole can be as deep as you want it? Personally,I don't want the handloading "stuff" anywhere near our shop. Two wholey different atmospheres. Generally most folks are way under utilizing vertical stowage.... and go straight to horizontal. Then clutter it all up. Then,have this notion that "one day" they'll clean it all up and that's it.

Organization in a shop environment is an ONGOING process,not a clean it up once a year thing. Our working shop can get pretty bad in the middle of big jobs... the handloading room is a way for me to get the heck away from that busy,busy "mess".
    Good point utilizing verticle space

Boolit Bub
    Ask authorities? Brother, I won't even ask them for the time of day. I simply refuse to talk to them beyond invoking my right to remain silent, I want an attorney and am I free to go?

Boolit Master
    here is what alliant has to say about storing smokeless powder
    https://www.alliantpowder.com/gettin..._handling.aspx

Boolit Master
    "ORGANIZED"?!? What's THAT?
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12