Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox

Thread: how fast

Boolit Buddy

how fast

how fast can a PC'd bullet be pushed? I would like to try PC bullets in a 223 and my 357 rifle.
    BD

Boolit Master
    I've had mine a bit over 2500fps (.308 with gas checks). Plain base I limit to under 1500fps (eg, .357mag pistol) but others have done a bit more.

Boolit Buddy
    Charlie, 2500 fps is where I would like to be, I could then size them to .356 and use them in the 350 legend.
    thanks
    BD

I'm pushing my 223 Browning to 2710fps with good accuracy. I've tried my load in other rifes (Ruger and Savage) without success, however my Browning has a 1:12" twist

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Interesting how twist makes such a difference. How do the other guns preform at lower velocity? Better than at high?

Boolit Buddy
    Don't have a chrony but I shoot pc'd cast through my 35 rem using a top load of Leverevelution. Good accuracy, no leading.

I run Pc 10mm to 1600 fps without GC. 16” carbine.

Boolit Master
    The rotation rate and bullet dia are the two variables that will make a difference. Smaller dia bullets can spin faster without losing stability. Slower twist rifling means you can go to a higher velocity.

Boolit Man

Boolit Master
    I'm probably not the source of the best answer for top velocities in PC'd bullets, but I've pushed the .325" 200gr. Missouri Bullets for my 8x57mm Mauser up to just under 2000 f/s, without any sign of trouble. I remember that my shoulder called it quits before the projectiles did.
    Their PC'd 250 gr. RNFPs, which they specify being for cowboy action velocities, are apparently unaware of their speed limits, and I have pushed those to 1350+ f/s in a 7.5" Ruger Redhawk. I've pushed them faster than that, in my Rossi carbine. Still obtained excellent results.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Interesting how twist makes such a difference. How do the other guns preform at lower velocity? Better than at high?
    At a certain point every lead bullet or lead cored jacketed bullet will lose structural integrity if the rpm threshold is exceeded. It may be just a significant loss of accuracy or the bullet may totally disintegrate.

With the advent of doppler radar chronographs it has been proven that bullets at the higher end of stability rates maintain their BC better as distance. The 300 yard and under crowd at one time believed that bullets at the lower end of stability rates performed better. That may still be true today but I haven't been following short range BR for a while.

The ELR types and the doppler radar has changed some of the long-held beliefs.

For cast at HV the twists need to be slow enough that the bullets rpm thresholds are not exceeded. Larry Gibson has some good information if you search "rpm threshold".
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    There are a lot of factors to consider with regards to muzzle velocity. PC is not one of them. It will work well from low to high velocities. I do not know of anyone who has shot at 3000fps with PC. There may be some heat related issues at that kind of velocity.

Going slower is ok, but, you have the same factors that affect jacketed bullets. Slow means getting around the transonic issue. Stay above, stay below or find a bullet that doesn't care. Slow means more wind effects. Which is one reason why most people want more velocity from their bullets, jacketed or cast. Slow means higher trajectory, which means more accurate range estimate is needed. For hunting it means less terminal effect on target and more time for target to move before the bullet gets there.

My experience is limited but I have found that my most accurate targets are with muzzle velocities between 1800 and 2000fps (1:10 twist .308win). 2000fps will get one of my bullets (210gn) out to 500yd accurately as well (just above transonic). I have pushed a bit higher (2300fps) but the results are not consistent, ie, one day it is great, another day it is not.

In using the 357-8, 200 grain RCBS style bullet, both plain base and Gas Checked, PCed, Double coated PCed, plus the lubed with a gc I have found that sizing exactly to the actual groove diameter is advantageous to accuracy, SD and ES. Plus control of fouling.
    I have run the non coated lubed bullets to 1800 fps when very hard cast using Rooster Red lube and to 2,500 fps when double coated in an AR with a 358 MGP and a Remington 700 with the 35 Whelen and 350 Rem Mag.
    The plain base iron mould by Saeco is a copy of the old RCBS bullet, mold now discontinued by RCBS. It is a fine bullet for powder coating, sized after coating to your actual slugged groove diameter and no GC is necessary.
    I shoot, different twist rates in different .358 rifles, that I build 12, 14, 16 and a 20. I build to 1/2" group size for cast or hunting guns. Surprisingly, I have found that the 200 cast is not all that picky about twist rates, it is picky about hard consistent alloy and sizing to the groove diameter. I have shot the bullet for 40 + years in matches and have worn out three molds that RCBS replaced free of charge.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers