Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite cast bullet - Snub Nose 38 Spl

Boolit Buddy
    If you feel inclined to step things up a notch, I can recommend a S&W Model 60 (j-frame .357, 3”) using the Lee .358-158-RNF loaded +P. It shot well for me in two different revolvers. The Model 60 is comfortable to carry in a Simply Rugged pancake holster or a Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster. If I remember correctly the Simply Rugged can be ordered in a neutral drop, which makes it useful for either cross draw or strong side carry. I am only average size, but either holster gave good concealment with a vest or over shirt.

Boolit Master

Char-Gar I load the same 148 over 3.5 gr bullseye seated to standard depth it gets a little warm. Next time I load a batch I want to do more experimenting with hallow base wad cutters seated up side down. I'd like to try seating them out farther for a slower pressure spike.
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

Boolit Master
    For 38 special & 357 mag, I use the RCBS 38-158-SWC in my 2.75" Ruger security six. It just works.

Boolit Master
    I'd ALSO be tempted to look quite seriously at THIS design, if the sharp corner of the WFN would not inhibit reloading the revolver's cylinder. If it is a problem, a little work on the extractor star might put things right.

https://arsenalmolds.com/index.php?r..._id=213&page=2
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

And of course there is nothing wrong with full wadcutters in the gun and round nose in the speedloader.

Wad cutters in .38S & .357M, I like the Lyman 358432 Wad cutter designed by H. A. Nott, cuts very clean holes and is most popular for .357 Mag. and .38 Spec. cartridges. (PB, SWC, 160 - TP is 429)
    These are PC'd in a color I call 'Old Lead'...

My snubbie favorite is the Lyman 358430 Designed by John Leonard of Avon, Conn. Very accurate in the .38 Spec. (PB, RN, 150, 200 - TP is 430).

Cast from 10 ~ 11 BHN Isotope lead + a little tin sweetener, I shot it against an electrical box cover, light steel...I thought it might splatter & disintegrate and was surprised...

Once carried by the Police Departments around the US, they called this the 'Super Police Load' ... Cops universally referred to this cast round as the 'Pelvis Breaker' ... you will see why in this video ... it is a 'Slow Freight Train.
    The loads & chrono data are in the video below...

200g 38S Jug Busters _ Super Police Load of yesteryear

I was happy with the penetration on water filled milk jugs...it busted through 5 jugs and still had enough speed left to destroy itself in my steel lead catcher backstop.
    If I remember correctly...I think 'Gun Sam' on the Y-Tube says that penetrating a water filled milk jug equals about 2.5" of gel...so 5 jugs = 12.5" of gel @ 772 FPS.

EDIT: I was looking back in Gun Sams videos and found this one but he is testing a little bit different cast...still 200+ grains & low velocity but Sam does a much better video review than I...

Tumbling .38's! Old School .38 Super-Police VS Fort Scott Tui

Last edited by OS OK; 01-30-2023 at 10:17 AM.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

In a revolver, a RNFP is much easier to load/reload quickly. I use a Lee 158 RNFP cast of pure lead, loaded over 5.0 grains of Unique, or 5.4 grains if you want a +P load.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    Pettyplace and his VIRGEL app will show you what you need when it comes to defensive calibers and ammo. It is eye opening.
    I like the Lee 150 gr Wadcutter and is what I carry in my 38 Special pocket revolver.
    I only carry it at home though. If I go out with a revolver to carry which is most of the time now I carry either a 2.5 inch GP100 with 158 gr Mag ammo or a Smith 2.75 inch M69 44 Mag with a 245 gr loaded to around 750 fps
    I don't plan on being in a firefight. If I did I would carry a 1911 45 Auto or a Glock M30 with a New York reload.
    What is the URL for this Prettyplace?

ACC

Dead soft LSWHP @ +p vel. Forget a reload, in a fight, you wont have time, even with a speed loader.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Loudenboomer View Post
    Char-Gar I load the same 148 over 3.5 gr bullseye seated to standard depth it gets a little warm. Next time I load a batch I want to do more experimenting with hallow base wad cutters seated up side down. I'd like to try seating them out farther for a slower pressure spike.
    You will note in my pic, I crimped the case in the top lube groove, to give more room for the fire to do it's thing.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

I use this at 158 grains. If it expands fine, if it doesn't I can live with it.

Boolit Master

My Fav for my 1972 Charter Arms .38 Undercover in .38 ( the only thing I shoot in it) 3.8 grains of Red Dot under a store bought 148 grain DEWC. I get 775ft/pr/sec average and easy double action control one handed.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    This over 3.5/BE
    Is that the 148 gr. version of Lyman 358432 ?
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Well, historically in 38spl I was a big fan of the 358477 over 4.2gr of Unique. It has proven to be a very accurate load for me. And for target work, the H&G #50 (or Lyman 358495) over 3.0gr of Bullseye with only one lube groove lubed. Those two loads are superbly accurate in my guns.

However, after finally shoot up the remainder of my loaded ammo I decided to venture out and see what else I could play with. One thing I have gone back to is the 358311 over 4.0gr of Unique. This is an accurate, and mild recoiling, load that I find pleasant to shoot even in my air-weight like Taurus 85. I think I may bump up the charge to 4.2gr, but the first go with 4.0 made me happy. The other thing I've been playing with is the MP357-125-HP with Penta pins over 5.0gr of Unique. So far I'm just in the testing phase, and I'm using the data for the RCBS 125gr TC, but I'm liking it. It is very accurate in my S&W 65. Surprisingly, this seems to be a little on the hotter end. Going off memory (since I'm do not have my manual next to me) I think the Lyman data goes up towards around 5.7gr max.

But if you want to see some REALLY HOT loads, go check out the data starting on page 129 of the 44th Edition Lyman manual. THAT is some hot loads. The modern Lyman load for the 358242 120gr bullet tops out at 5.7gr of Unique for 1012fps. That old Lyman 44th Edition listed a 358242 up to 6.9gr of Unique for 1132 FPS, which is also their recommended load for accuracy (the max load that is). And up to 12.5gr of 2400 for 1120 FPS. I have no idea of Unique or 2400 have been reformulated over the years since the 44th was released. But I'll say this, that sounds like some very capable loads. If one were to work these up they might want to do so in a 357mag.....
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    Well, historically in 38spl I was a big fan of the 358477 over 4.2gr of Unique. It has proven to be a very accurate load for me. And for target work, the H&G #50 (or Lyman 358495) over 3.0gr of Bullseye with only one lube groove lubed. Those two loads are superbly accurate in my guns.

However, after finally shoot up the remainder of my loaded ammo I decided to venture out and see what else I could play with. One thing I have gone back to is the 358311 over 4.0gr of Unique. This is an accurate, and mild recoiling, load that I find pleasant to shoot even in my air-weight like Taurus 85. I think I may bump up the charge to 4.2gr, but the first go with 4.0 made me happy. The other thing I've been playing with is the MP357-125-HP with Penta pins over 5.0gr of Unique. So far I'm just in the testing phase, and I'm using the data for the RCBS 125gr TC, but I'm liking it. It is very accurate in my S&W 65. Surprisingly, this seems to be a little on the hotter end. Going off memory (since I'm do not have my manual next to me) I think the Lyman data goes up towards around 5.7gr max.

But if you want to see some REALLY HOT loads, go check out the data starting on page 129 of the 44th Edition Lyman manual. THAT is some hot loads. The modern Lyman load for the 358242 120gr bullet tops out at 5.7gr of Unique for 1012fps. That old Lyman 44th Edition listed a 358242 up to 6.9gr of Unique for 1132 FPS, which is also their recommended load for accuracy (the max load that is). And up to 12.5gr of 2400 for 1120 FPS. I have no idea of Unique or 2400 have been reformulated over the years since the 44th was released. But I'll say this, that sounds like some very capable loads. If one were to work these up they might want to do so in a 357mag.....
    Alliant still lists 6.0 gr Unique with a 125 gr lead bullet as standard pressure. https://www.alliantpowder.com/reload...d=8&bulletid=9

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mnewcomb59 View Post
    Alliant still lists 6.0 gr Unique with a 125 gr lead bullet as standard pressure. https://www.alliantpowder.com/reload...d=8&bulletid=9
    That’s only 0.3gr short of the Lyman load for the 358242. And almost a full grain shy of old Lyman load. Though it’s 0.7gr higher than the Lyman load for the Lee 125gr RF. Good to know for my 357-125-HP load though. I have some room to move up if I chose to… I probably should get a few newer manuals. I’ve always relied mostly on the Lyman manual since it had the most data for lead. But I fear they’re starting to fear attorneys, as there dropping certain powders and charge weights…
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    In a revolver, a RNFP is much easier to load/reload quickly. I use a Lee 158 RNFP cast of pure lead, loaded over 5.0 grains of Unique, or 5.4 grains if you want a +P load.
    It works!

Boolit Master
    I started with this load: "...or your generic cast 158 gr SWC. & 4.0 grs W231..." and never tried anything else. I have killed a few hogs and other varmints using this (although more of a coup de grace up close rather than a typical hunting scenario). The hogs were shot at close range - either in the head or behind the shoulders (the gun is a S&W 642 Air Weight). I'd say about half of the shots went all the way through and exited - the rest stopped somewhere inside the animal. In all cases, it only took one shot to finish them. I believe most anyone hit with a .38 lead SWC will go "Oooof!, that hurt!" unless they are wearing body armor, which is essentially what the FBI concluded.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Speed View Post
    What is your favorite cast SD/HD bullet and load in 38 Spl standard velocity for use in snub noses? Anytime type, SWC, RNL, DEWC, HBWC…

I’m leaning towards a classic 150gr - 158 gr SWC, Lyman 358477 for instance, or your generic cast 158 gr SWC. 4.7 grs Unique, 4.0 grs W231 or 3.5 grs Bullseye are working out well for me in the accuracy and controllability departments using both the bullets mentioned (Firearm S&W 442 1 7/8”).

I understand some people prefer a cast DEWC full wadcutter load. But these are difficult to reload with your standard speed strips or speed loaders. For my reloads I prefer a 158 gr RNL (Lyman 358311) with 3.5 grs Bullseye or 4.0 grs W231 in speed strips…quick to reload and they adequately penetrate from short barrels. I know I’ll hear that 158 gr RNL are ineffective but I hear other arguments to the contrary.

Overall, I think a standard velocity 38 Spl using 158 grs bullets is satisfactory for SD/HD.
    For me, through many years I was confident with a H&G 148gn wadcutter seated NOT flush (as for S&W Model 52) case mouth, but instead using the top lub groove for crimping -- to afford use of a speed loader -- propelled with 2.7 grains of Bullseye -- this in a S&W Model 60 2" .38. It was a true eye-opener on veggies and fruit at 12-foot range!
    geo

Boolit Buddy

Load for my j frame S&W chief's special. Two powder coated .360 rb stacked sized to .358, over 4 gr HP 38,1.325 oal with .oo3-.005 roll crimp. Carried in a vest inside on left side with two speed strip reloads. That is 140 grs of lead, making 10 holes. Vest has carry pocket on both sides for left or right hand. Am going to experiment more this spring with Bullseye powder. Tested this load at 7 yrds and found could keep all holes in a small 6-8 in circle. Round balls penetrate ballistic gel very well according to Fletchers testing. Also pocket carry in cargo pants pocket in warm weather. At 76 yrs old no speedy fast draws but always try to be aware of all things going on around me, avoid going to bad places when possible. Am quite comfortable with this load with my Chief's Special.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast