MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tinnitus

Boolit Grand Master
    Do you all get different sounds in each ear?
    Now I have crickets in my left and a swishing noise in my right
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Some times it's the only thing I can hear ! Wife has developed it in the last couple of years but I have had it as long as I can remember. See the swimmers in my eyes too. Not sure which is worse.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Buddy
    I have had it for years. Went years ago and had a hearing test and the hearing aids made it louder. My is a louder ringing in the left ear more than the right, and some days are worse than the rest. People have gave advice on cures, but none seem to work, for me anyhow.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    I have to sleep with fan on; if it is too quiet hard to sleep. When I travel I bring a fan with me or buy a fan if I do not check baggage when I fly.
    That's how I roll. I was a tanker in the Army. My ears have been ringing since 67'. In the summer I hang a small tinkling kinda wind chime from my bedroom ceiling fan adds a little extra help. I found a few years ago a small fan that runs on A/C and batteries for traveling out state hunting trips. Cheap motels never have fans.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master
    I have a high-frequency buzz. Been there for years. It doesn't affect sleep. I can't hear certain tones. It can be a real pain sometimes.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Ringing sound in the head /ear. I've had it for as long as I can remember. Sometimes it gets louder, sometimes don't even notice it.
    When I was younger I did try some things to treat it, but nothing worked. Old now so I notice it more when it gets loud. Anyone else have this? Anyone ever find a way to get rid of it? Doctors no help at all.
    Does the ringing in your ears ever seem louder after you eat, especially something sugary? Do you have a way to check your blood sugar? Does anyone you know have a way to check it?
    If you're a shooter, yer probably going to have SOME level of tinnitus. If it seems to be louder at certain times than others (except right after being on the shooting range), then it could be your body trying to signal that your blood sugar is too high. This isn't a HIGHLY CERTAIN thing, but it's easy enough to check, and you could be saving your body a WORLD of trouble, down the line.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Any little bit of background noise will often cancel it out.
    I've heard the ringing called the sound of silence.
    I've heard of people having a small fan running in the room, or one of those deals that look like a common clock radio,
    but they play a few different kinds of white noise-- water running over rocks, rain, stuff like that.
    Yea, white noise does it for me.
    My new to me hearing aids are Bluetooth compatible so I can play music on my phone "blue toothed" to those hearing aids.
    Even play those rippling stream/rain/ocean wave type sounds.
    I can double tap my ear to answer the phone via Bluetooth/hearing aids too!!
    I have an app on my phone for adjusting the hearing aids a multitude of different ways, volume of each ear, comfort, clarity, conversation, wind noise, base, tremble, etc.

My tinnitus is from wind noise riding motorcycles while wearing a full-faced helmet...
    I have been wearing ear plugs under my helmet for the last 10 years but it has been too little/too late.
    I have learned to ignore the tinnitus but have some friends who cannot, and it has led to sleeplessness and depression.

Regretfully, I have a tumor growing in my left ear canal and it is putting pressure on the 3 nerves in there.
    One nerve is for hearing, one is for balance, and the 3rd is for left side facial muscle control.
    So those other 2 nerves, not for hearing, are being affected too, and my balance has been deteriorating.
    They don't operate on anyone my age to remove that always-benign-tumor because of the risk of disturbing that facial nerve.
    So, added to the tinnitus, that tumor causes a constant feeling of pressure within my left ear now.
    Sorry for the bloviation about my hearing/tinnitus but I wanted everyone posting here to know about the Bluetooth hearing aids and what they have done for me.
    jmo,
    Last edited by Kenstone; 01-29-2023 at 01:49 AM.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    Does the ringing in your ears ever seem louder after you eat, especially something sugary?….
    I don’t notice mine until I’m half way through my first cup of coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post

My tinnitus is from wind noise riding motorcycles while wearing a full-faced helmet....
    I think that's my source, too. Over a quarter million miles and 20 years on an old BMW with a Vetter fairing that directed turbulence right onto my helmet. Only after I finally finally sold that bike did I realize that. Too late.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    I've had tinnitus for years, ear infections as a swimmer when I was a kid, loud work environments, plenty of gunfire, all the common causes. I did find that after I got my first pair of hearing aids ten years ago that they helped a lot. They amplify all those little sounds that go away with hearing loss, leafs rustling, paper moving, cars going past outside. All of that incidental background noise makes me overlook the tinnitus for most of the day. Not so much at night when it really is quiet.

Boolit Master
    Mine sounds like a woods on a summer night.....which makes listening for deer or squirrels annoying and frustrating, since the buzz sounds almost like what I'm trying to hear! It is the price of living a loud life.
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    I trace mine back to an incident that happened when I was about 20. I'll be 70 in March. Went shooting with some friends at a gravel pit. One of the guys discharged a .44 Mag about 3 feet from my ear. Hearing has never been right since. The least little bit of ambient noise and I am asking people to repeat themselves. Absolutely terrible in a restaurant.
    I feel your pain except it was a 12 gauge shotgun... mine is around 600hz which is dead middle of speech frequencies. Any background noise and I can't hear. Friends complain I have the TV to loud but this time of year I have the pellet stove running in the living room to stay warm and the fans are noisy...

For summer when I want to move cool air into the living room I found these little Honeywell turbo fans for $20 or so. On low they are almost silent! Have one in the bathroom pushing cold air to the living room(the warm air flows in behind it to heat that room) and I can't hear it running.

Boolit Master
    Thank God my is just noise and I can live with it. Migraines, noise and being sick is just a way of life, hearing is still good but sure can get fun. Ringing and buzzing, sounds I have to deal with.

Boolit Master
    Thank God my is just noise and I can live with it. Migraines, noise and being sick is just a way of life, hearing is still good but sure can get fun. Ringing and buzzing, sounds I have to deal with.

Boolit Master

Yup, mine has pretty clear causes: a couple fairly large bangs that I was WAY to close to in Iraq. It's pretty constant ringing, like the noise that they use in Hollywood movies when the main character gets blown up and it's silent except that high pitched whine. It never goes away but occasionally gets worse to the point that it is distracting. I teach high school and it will get to the point that I lose my train of though in front of the whole class or look for a source when it just suddenly cranks up to 11.

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    I can't remember a time when I didn't have this ringing in my ears.
    It can range from a straight monotone ringing to a high-pitched ringing in one ear and low tone in the other ear and all points in between.
    I couldn't really say that I've grown accustomed to it but, since it's ever present, I only notice it most when I think about it.
    You'd think that after all of these years of having this ringing in my ears it would have slowly evolved into a nice musical presentation of some sort.
    Most of the time it sounds like the high-pitched sounds of air leaking out of a tire.

HollowPoint

Boolit Buddy
    Mine varies, mostly depending on what I eat. Black pepper makes them ring loudly. I'm also allergic to eggs. In addition to making me feel sick, they make my ears ring.

Boolit Grand Master
    Since I've had it all my life, and thought it was normal, I don't really notice it unless I listed for it.
    Sometimes it sounds louder, sometimes I don't notice it.
    Might have been better off not knowing it was not normal.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve done everything I shouldn’t have regarding my hearing. Up until 2000, I could notice the hissing stopping. I didn’t stop abusing my hearing and now it’s always there. I usually don’t hear it if I don’t think about it, but now it’s back as I write this. They say you shouldn’t think that since you already have it, and don’t protect your hearing. It can get worse. There’s a lot of talk about ear plugs you wear around your neck until you need them. Some kind of springy plastic loop. Supposedly, they protect your ears more than the standard bulky over your ears type. I’m going to be looking into them. I usually use ear plugs these days, because the headset type interfere with putting my cheek on the stock when aiming.

I spent the last 15 years of my working life in and out of auto industry powertrain plants. Almost all of then supplied the EAR brand of foam plugs. Had to be rolled tight and then inserted, but they work the best of any of the foam type. Some come as a pair on a plastic string. Still have some around here. Used them when cutting wood with the chainsaw, as well as under my muffs when shooting. Too late, of course, by the time I was 45 the damage had already been done.
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast