WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tinnitus

Boolit Grand Master

Tinnitus

Ringing sound in the head /ear.
    I've had it for as long as I can remember.
    Sometimes it get louder, sometimes don't even notice it.
    When I was younger I did try some things to treat it, but nothing worked.
    Old now so I notice it more when it gets loud.
    Anyone else have this.
    Anyone ever find a way to get rid of it.
    Doctors no help at all.

Boolit Master
    Mine started three days after I had an "injection." It won't go away. The trick is to push it into the background of your brain.

Mine is so bad I feel like I'm on the bridge of the "NCC-1701"

Boolit Master
    I have some of that. I hear a constant whirring sound, sort of a small electric motor running.

Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    I have some of that. I hear a constant whirring sound, sort of a small electric motor running.
    I wish that was all mine was!

Boolit Master
    I sometimes ask my wife if she can hear my ears ringing. We didn't know about ear protection when we were younger. Shooting did not do me any good but I think all most 50 years in a furniture machine room was worse. I wore protection but I think it accumulates over the years. I have learned to put it on ignore.

Mine's a high pitched constant ring/buzz sound. It never stops-I don't care anymore. Had hearing aids-they did a perfect job of irritating me more than the ringing. It gives me a great opportunity to ignore people.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Boolit Buddy
    Mine has been going on for a couple of years. Most of the time I don’t hear it unless I think about it. Running too much heavy equipment in my younger days is what I believe is the cause. Bothers the most when I try to sleep. Needless to say I don’t sleep very good either.

Boolit Master
    Even worse, I used to get a terrible pain in one eye when I drank coffee. Drove me nuts. I finally found a doctor who cured me: "Take the spoon out of the cup."

Quote Originally Posted by truckerdave397 View Post
    Mine has been going on for a couple of years. Most of the time I don’t hear it unless I think about it. Running too much heavy equipment in my younger days is what I believe is the cause. Bothers the most when I try to sleep. Needless to say I don’t sleep very good either.
    Doesn't bother my sleep a bit, within 10 minutes of hitting the pillow, I'm out for a good 4 hours until I gotta go pee, then another 2 hours sleep till I'm ready to get up. I usually take a mid afternoon nap...
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    Mine's a high pitched constant ring/buzz sound. It never stops-I don't care anymore. Had hearing aids-they did a perfect job of irritating me more than the ringing. It gives me a great opportunity to ignore people.
    Dittos on the hearing aids! Expensive failures.

I've had a very high pitched sinewave sound for at least 25 years now. It's grown so that telephones are hopeless. I've told the (adult) kids to use email. Grandkids' high pitched voices are totally unintelligible. At the doctors' offices I ask people to pull down their masks so I can lip-read. Speaker at the drive-thru? Just white noise.

Last fall it took on a new tone - I kept hearing a low rumble, like a refrigerator running, but only at night in my bed. Tried for weeks to find the source. Finally pulled the main breaker on my panel to stop everything - still there. Took another months to convince myself that it wasn't coming from an industrial plant a couple of miles away.

Nothing can be done except learn to ignore it, and cope with the disability.
    Cognitive Dissident

Any little bit of background noise will often cancel it out.
    I've heard the ringing called the sound of silence.
    I've heard of people having a small fan running in the room, or one of those deals that look like a common clock radio,
    but they play a few different kinds of white noise-- water running over rocks, rain, stuff like that.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I have to sleep with fan on; if it is too quiet hard to sleep. When I travel I bring a fan with me or buy a fan if I do not check baggage when I fly.

I've worked in industrial - type environments since I was 13. Step dad took me to work with him. The last 25 have been at the RRd. I've had tinnitus for decades.

As someone else mentioned above, I can't hear people talking quite often especially when there is background noise. That's OK. Most of the time I don't want to listen to their drivel anyway and I've learned to ignore the ringing. It's been going on so long I don't even notice anymore. I don't watch TV so that's not a problem either.

Boolit Master

Been hearing it for about 65 years. Most times just a high pitched constant ringing, but sometimes for a few seconds sounds like the ringside bell of a boxing ring or similar. Sometimes a little louder but never goes away. Started when I was 7 years old after having a fever of 104 caused by strep throat.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Bub
    I have had it for about 40 years. I learned to ignore it. BUT then I got this new virus (can't say the name) which was pretty bad...darn near killed me. Since then it's so loud I feel like I am standing next to a jet engine. I did some research on it and the best explanation I found is that the new epidemic is caused from spike proteins causing the tiny blood vessels in the brain to leak and cause swelling in the area that can affect this neuro transmission. That is what causes the same swelling in the front of the head (sinus area and such).
    I have been experimenting with many of the newly discovered supplements. Some may help but I can't say for sure at this time. I do believe however that loratadine and tylenol make a bit of difference. I don't take them for tinnitus but frequent sinus pressure and it seems to help with the constant whine.
    I also tried to frequency blocking. You can find stuff on youtube about wearing headphones piping in a "sympathetic frequency" that some people say will make the noise go away for several hours. I haven't played with that enough to say. Here is a link to one of the tinnitus frequency test pages in case you want to give that a try:
    https://www.tinnitracks.com/en/matching

Mine comes and goes, often years between episodes, a very loud high pitch whine, that fades in...and fades out. Usually lasts no more than 5 minutes. I beat up my ears when I was young, but I've never heard of part time tinnitus.

Boolit Master
    I've had it for so long I can't remember when it started. I have good quality hearing aids and absolutely love them! They are not what God gave me, and they are not perfect, but they are worth every penny I paid for them! No problem sleeping, and it doesn't real impact me in any meaningful way.

Boolit Master

I have had it for as long as I can remember. I am not able to hear some things well if the frequency is close to the ringing. On the bright side, when the locust come out in the spring and drive people crazy, I am not bothered because that is what I hear all the time.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Doctors receptionists are the worst ,I find.......they twitter like tiny birds ,and I cant even guess what they are saying.........result of shooting without ear protection when young ,then operating earthmoving machines,some without mufflers.......some didnt even have exhaust pipes.............I didnt even know there were such things as earmuffs till I was around 30.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast