Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Snyders Jerky

View Poll Results: Must chili contain meat?

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

85 70.25%
  • No

36 29.75%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poll: is it chili if it has no meat?

Boolit Master
    I grew up in San Antonio - chili was invented there. The basic recipe is ground or cubed meat with red chile peppers, salt, black pepper and a little garlic - nothing else. I add a can of Rotel tomatoes and roasted jalapeños but that’s just me.

With regard to beans, most of the Hispanics I know will tell you to make all of the side dishes separately then serve. That means a pot of chili, a pot of beans and a pot of rice on the stove - but they don’t get mixed until in your belly.

I’m getting hungry, might be time to make a batch.

Boolit Grand Master

Chili = MEAT! and NO BEANS!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Chilli ain’t chilli without meat ! No way no how !
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Buddy
    I have ate Chili that my mother in-law called it with out meat… didn’t care for it, at all.
    But I told her it was good.
    Now as far as my wife’s cooking, my father told me the dad I got married. He said if my wife made anything you don’t like, you better tell her you don’t like it or else you will eat it the rest of your life..
    The Soldier that Volunteers, fighting for his Country and his rights,
    makes the most reliable Soldier on Earth.

Boolit Master
    I got threatened with fire ants last time I got involved with a chili discussion. i think it requires meat, but no comment on any other ingredients.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    No meat = No Chili. But I'm also a purist about beans. No beans in my chili (except back in college, when we threw everything in it).
    Gota have beans in it, try filling up, 4 growing boys with gravy and a little meat ???

Boolit Master

I grew up eating it both ways. Been eating it for 65yrs so far. When I make it myself it has beans, 'cause that was Dad's recipe. Just can't seem to convert the recipe to no beans. Never comes out right.
    I buy Wolf brand Chili NO MEAT for Chili dogs and burgers.

Anybody that puts kidney beans in Chili should be keel hauled, TWICE. Probably new yorkers,
    they ruin everything.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    If it doesn't have stewed tomatoes, I am HAPPY AS CAN BE!!! Don't care if it's got beans, meat, chicken, happens to be white somehow. Keep the chunky cooked tomatoes out of it and I'll eat it and be happy.
    “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    It's your wife, you had better figure out how you are going to get along with her.
    I am almost 72, I learned you have better like everything your wife cooks, whether you like it or not.
    To add to that, you better be prompt to the table.
    In my early days of marriage, I was watching a Charles Bronson movie I had never even known existed.
    My wife called me to supper (that's dinner to city folk) I was so ingrossed in the movie I didn't come to the table quite as fast as my wife expected me to.
    I will never forget a scalding hot roast chicken flying across the room at me, the flight of the Phoenix.
    Something I will never forget, I learned my lesson.
    Better like everything she cooks and scamper to the table at a bellowing call?you might as well hand in your man card cuz your a wuss! lol

Quote Originally Posted by barnabus View Post
    Better like everything she cooks and scamper to the table at a bellowing call?you might as well hand in your man card cuz your a wuss! lol
    Well, I guess you should know. LOL

It is a give and take thing.
    At one point she told me I had to get rid of my guns.
    I told her she knew I had them when we got married.
    So, if she didn't like it, not to let the door hit her in the butt on the way out.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJBCS View Post
    Chile (chili is anglicized) refers to the chile peppers and can make a soup/gravy all by itself, so you cna put in whatever you want. That being said, it all depends where you are from and what has been deemed holy! Haha. Being from south Texas, meaning it is Tex-Mex chili, most purists will tell you it is beef, maybe some pork, onion, garlic and chile and nothing else! No beans and certainly not red beans or kidney beans. Pinto beans are what the natives like!
    What, no cabrito in the chili?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master
    Chili without meat?
    no way Jose
    all I call that is chili sauce
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Moderator Emeritus

To my way of thinking it is vegetable soup....absolutely nothing wrong with that especially if ya got some cornbread to go with it!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

I ordered cabrito in Argentina, just once, a fellow hunter told me it was great, as a joke. I am not a real fan of goat in any fashion, born or unborn.

Chili needs both the meat and the beans in my cooking. Washed beans added in the cooking of chili thickens the chili, as they simmer in the chili. I add Thai peppers after I cook the chil just to my bowl only.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    The proper name of the dish is chili con carne (chilis with meat). How can it be chili without carne?
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    I agree we need meat,even hotdog chilli has meat.So if your eating chilli without meat you have spicy tomato sauce with Beans
    tomato? In real chili? HEATHEN!

Moderator Emeritus

Texas Red aka the real deal chili

Hand chopped chuck, pieces about the size of you little fingernail
    Chopped onion
    Chopped garlic
    mild chili powder(1/4 cup per pound of meat, can cut back for wimps)
    hot chili powder(to taste)
    beef base(better than bullion, to taste, adds salt)
    Beer just to cover

Brown meat in bacon fat with the onion, add garlic towards the end to not burn it, add mild chili powder and stir until fragrant(this is key, it releases the oils in the chili powder), add beer, beef base and cover and let simmer until meat is tender. Add hot chili powder anytime from 15 minutes before done to right at the end, longer you wait the rawer the pepper flavor will be. Can skip this for heat wimps!

no veggies, no beans, no tomato... chili made the way the chuck wagon cook would have on the trail.

Chili needs meat, Period !

Boolit Master

It should meat with no beans, but my wife usually adds beans to stretch it. She often mashes the beans so they aren't seen as easily, but if properly seasoned the beans can't be tasted. She also once made a pot of 15 bean soup and called it soup, but it tasted like chili.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    the question should be, what is the best cut of meat and the best way to cut it up for chili.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast