Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on reloading the .410

Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    Sounds like me, I use the hulls down to a nub. When the 2 1/2 split I make light creepy critter loads without crimps, just glue in a home made card wad. I do have a question, how do you skive the hulls ? I mostly use H-110 because that's what I have, how do you like Lilgun. I have a pound but haven't used it yet. I have read it is tough on hulls, what's your experience ?

Dave
    Skive tool:

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Po...tinfo/0740012/

On Lil' Gun, it's one of the more popular 410 powders at the two skeet clubs I shoot at. I lean towards 296 because I've got a great 22 Hornet worked up, and it works well in the AA hulls I use. One less powder to keep in inventory is a good thing.

410's are more particular about column height then the other gauges where you can increase wad pressure to compress the legs on the wad to get a less than ideal component combination to fit in the case. The AA hulls were designed for 296.

Boolit Bub
    I bought some Magtech brass hulls have loaded some .410's for my contender, they seem to work good with very easy loading requiring only a shellholder for priming. Worked good enough for my grandchildren to shoot some rabbits with, and now I bought some others in other gauges that I use for rabbit and other hunting so I don't leave plastic wads around. [ I know, not a big deal, but I will use that excuse to experiment with] Good Luck and Good Shooting Chris

I use a MEC to reload 2 3/4 and 3" 410s. Probably the 410 is the most aggravating of all shot shells to reload. The 3" tends to buckel at the crimp stage, for no real reason, except it wants to do so. Even when you setup with 3" and tap the drop tube, the results can be iffy. I would rather load 100 boxes of 28s than two boxes of 410s. I use H-110 and 7 1/2 to load the 410s wih 7 1/2 shot and Unique in the 28s. I just do the 410s if we have a 410 only sporting clays match. We, the old timers, do, SxS , pumps, 410, etc., only matches just for fun. That is the only reason I have the 410 loader, other than that, I would not have a 410 loader or a 410 at all. If reloading, the 28 is a way better choice over the 410.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

I got a Hornady DL266 first, and being a single stage it was a little slow for the volume of shells I was shooting in my Quest for Skeet Nirvana. I now have a DL366 Progressive and whereas it is faster it also is much more finicky. After Hulls have been fired 3-4 times they get a little problematic to load on the Progressive, If one station muffs it's function it creates a mess and you get to start all over after you clean up the mess. So I cycle them back to the Single Stage so I can get a few more reloads out of them.

The going price for once fired Win AA .410 Hulls is between .15 and .25 cents each so I want to get as many as possible out of each one. Try www.trapshooters.com for hulls.

All that said a MEC 600 in .410 will make much nicer reloads than any hand tool ever made, so that is something to consider. The good thing is if you decide you don't want it any more, you can easily resell it here for whatever you've got in it or more!

There is a bit more of a Learning Curve with .410's than the bigger gauges, but once you get it tweaked right it is pretty trouble free.

Randy.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

A Ponsness Warren is probably the best for 410, I had one in 12 gauge and it made incredibly nice reloads, several friends who have .410 P-W who swear by them. But they are pricey. I sold mine simply because I had 5 MEC's and didn't need an odd man out. Or two 12 gauge re-loaders.

It all boils down to thickness of wallet, number of boxes per year and how much time you want to spend reloading .410.

Number of boxes per year probably the most important number.

And the Lee style loaders were designed when the predominant hull material was paper. The Lee loaders excel with paper hulls. First and second Federal paper hull reloads could pass for factory loads most of the time.

Plastic, they are just OK. I even built a little wood framed arbor press to finish the crimp when using plastic hulls.

Quote Originally Posted by poorman View Post
    That is all kinds of neat right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

410's on a progressive press are much slower; I would average about 175 shells per hour with 410 and between 350 & 400 for 12,20,28 ga. One issue the punches do not always line up with the mouth of the 410 hulls so that slows you down. Seems like a lot of AA's in 410 get a curve in them after firing. If something messes up on a progressive you need to stop and clean up everything up or it will cause you so much grief. Fine ball powder makes you invent new words when it spills on the platen and starts binding up.

I can get 150 to 175 12 ga shells loaded in an hour on my DL-266. I have a DL-266 in 410 it is slower than the 12 ga as the primer drop is not automatic like the 12 & 20 ga are. Primer drop tube is too large to fit inside 410 hull. The DL-266 is faster than my Mec 600 JR (410 vs 410) I can do 100+ / hr pretty easily with the 266 and probably 80 per hr with the 600 JR.

Unless I need two flats of shells I tend to use my 266's rather than progressives even with 12 ga especially 410.

Boolit Master

Here is one way I load it.

https://youtu.be/KsjiR-hba60
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    Sounds like me, I use the hulls down to a nub. When the 2 1/2 split I make light creepy critter loads without crimps, just glue in a home made card wad. I do have a question, how do you skive the hulls ? I mostly use H-110 because that's what I have, how do you like Lilgun. I have a pound but haven't used it yet. I have read it is tough on hulls, what's your experience ?

Dave
    You can buy a skiver tool from Ballistic Product or just make one. Take a 1/2" wooden dowel and rasp it down to a point on one end, drill a hole and glue and insert a 3/16" bolt shaft, spray glue a pie shaped piece of emery cloth to it. Put it in your power drill.

Boolit Bub
    Great information guys! I REALLY appreciate it!

Boolit Master
    Load 410 on a 20 ga MEC 600 I got for free using a conversion kit to 410 that also came cheap. Used to reload it a lot but when I moved four years ago the club here is not into shotguns. Since moving here have shot a whopping two rounds to dispatch copperheads in the yard. Back in WI shot a lot of sporting clays as well as other clay bird games, and if there is a nicer to carry grouse gun than my SKB O/U. Choke is unusual, per the spec sheet with it the lower barrel patterns 45% and the upper barrel 60%. Odd chokes but deadly on grouse and did well on skeet also.

Sitting on over 500 2-1/2 inch once fired AA hulls, 1200 wads and enough primers, although a little low on #9. Almost all my shooting is the shorter hull, used factory 3" for hunting. Unfortunately if there are grouse here in KY they aren't around my area nor is there a skeet range in reasonable distance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12