Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thin rims with a File??

Boolit Master

thin rims with a File??

Got a 45/410 barrel here that will Not accept converted 303 brass due to fat rims. Nothing New there... but, want to use this brass in this gun!
    Thinking of turning brass with drill, or lathe... got it in my head that a Bastard file without "teeth" on the edge, yea, they prolly gots a name... but...IDK. Anyway want to trim from case side...Not head, as I do Not want primers proud.
    If anyone done this...LMK yer experience please...
    yes, could just do it with lathe... but.. A File seems actually Easier.. with my current eyesight and hand eye coordination... I will probably end up with some Rimless with the lathe!!!

Boolit Grand Master

If you have accesss to a lathe then forget the file and set up cutting tool and face off what you need to. It will be much more accurate and consistent then the safe edged file.

Here is how I would set it up. I would pressure turn them on a mandrel and center. Turn a mandrel in the chuck to snugly fit the neck and long enough to reach the case head plus a little length. radius the end close to the cases. do not remove the mandrel until cases are all finished. Grind a HSS lathe tool with the lead edge close to straight/parallel ans the face edge around 45*, you want to be able to run right up into the relief groove or corner. Make a adapter for the live center, a flat face with a large center to fit on the live center.

Set up glue the adapter to the lathe center. insert case on the mandrel and back with medium to heavy pressure with tail stock live center adapter. lightly touch tool to rim face and set to cut to thickness, face rim into corner relief groove. Lightly deburr the sharp edge.

either set up an indicator to the carriage and use he carriage or turn the compound 90* and use it and the dial. At 45* the compound will read 1/2 of its graduations.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    If you have accesss to a lathe then forget the file and set up cutting tool and face off what you need to. It will be much more accurate and consistent then the safe edged file.

Here is how I would set it up. I would pressure turn them on a mandrel and center. Turn a mandrel in the chuck to snugly fit the neck and long enough to reach the case head plus a little length. radius the end close to the cases. do not remove the mandrel until cases are all finished. Grind a HSS lathe tool with the lead edge close to straight/parallel ans the face edge around 45*, you want to be able to run right up into the relief groove or corner. Make a adapter for the live center, a flat face with a large center to fit on the live center.

Set up glue the adapter to the lathe center. insert case on the mandrel and back with medium to heavy pressure with tail stock live center adapter. lightly touch tool to rim face and set to cut to thickness, face rim into corner relief groove. Lightly deburr the sharp edge.

either set up an indicator to the carriage and use he carriage or turn the compound 90* and use it and the dial. At 45* the compound will read 1/2 of its graduations.
    Fixes at least one of my fears...needing to find center on each case... Had me Going!!!
    Thanks

Boolit Master

I make a lot of cases and use the lathe for many operations - including thinning rims. It is much easier than using a file. This is one of my videos, its about making .25 Stevens rimfire from .22 Hornet. At about the 9:40 point I start the rim thinning operation.
    https://youtu.be/y_9G-FqDdKk

Boolit Master

I made some 410 brass from Berdan 303 brass and modified the primer pocket to use 209 primers.
    I used a live center in the primer pocket when I thinned the rim and reduced the outside diameter.
    I was not satisfied with the results, the brass did not expand completely to the head of the case even after multiple annealing and fire forming.
    The firearm used is a Ranger tube fed bolt action so I did not want to make the load too hot.
    Last edited by deltaenterprizes; 01-27-2023 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Got a 45/410 barrel here that will Not accept converted 303 brass due to fat rims. Nothing New there... but, want to use this brass in this gun!
    Thinking of turning brass with drill, or lathe... got it in my head that a Bastard file without "teeth" on the edge, yea, they prolly gots a name... but...IDK.
    Look up safe edge files. That give you one edge of the file with no teeth so you can file up to a corner without damaging the other face.

Yep, the lathe is the way to go. Worked great when making cases for my 45-60 Winchester.

Boolit Grand Master

Was just thinking in this some more.
    If you reverse the case in the set up it may be faster, and easier.
    Turn the mandrel with a center in one end to use with the live center. again fit one end to the radius of the case head inside the case use a piece of 1" round stock 1" long face and bore square bottomed hole to match rim dia.
    This has the advantage of since you are locating on the face of the rim, once thickness is set you should be able to lock the carriage and face them all to the same thickness.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't have a lathe but I do have many files , on the PPU brass it only takes about 12 pulls the case to get it to chamber ,I hold the file flat on my leg then pull the case from front to back one direction only ,with a good file takes very little effort . You might try some PPU 9.3x 74R brass it has a bit thinner rim than the 303 and makes a 3 inch shell instead of a short 2 1/2 , Graph & Sons has them in stock for 60.00 bucks for a 50 count bag
    With all this being said I wish I did have a Lathe ,but for now poor boys have poor ways .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Look up safe edge files. That give you one edge of the file with no teeth so you can file up to a corner without damaging the other face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
    I don't have a lathe but I do have many files , on the PPU brass it only takes about 12 pulls the case to get it to chamber ,I hold the file flat on my leg then pull the case from front to back one direction only ,with a good file takes very little effort . You might try some PPU 9.3x 74R brass it has a bit thinner rim than the 303 and makes a 3 inch shell instead of a short 2 1/2 , Graph & Sons has them in stock for 60.00 bucks for a 50 count bag
    With all this being said I wish I did have a Lathe ,but for now poor boys have poor ways .
    Thanks to both of ya's.. I think I will at least give it a Go with said File... My Lathe is In a Very cold barn, and my friends is only slightly warmer...
    Becoming more and More allergic to Cold, I will start in my Shop!!!
    Later when Warmer, I will prove to myself If I should have simply waited out Lathe access...

Boolit Master
    I can understand want to take the material off the neck side not the breach face side but if for some reason it would be more convenient to take the material off the breach face side you could use large pistol primers so that the primers would not be proud. They are shorter. Should be fine for 410 pressures.

Just a thought.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    I can understand want to take the material off the neck side not the breach face side but if for some reason it would be more convenient to take the material off the breach face side you could use large pistol primers so that the primers would not be proud. They are shorter. Should be fine for 410 pressures.

Just a thought.

Tim
    Very...very astute...Thank you for bringing that to my attention..

I don't have a lathe either and feel the need to apply innovative measures on occasion. A wrap of scotch tape or thin packing tape where you don't want material removed is very useful to protect the brass. I'd wrap the cartridges at the base and maybe use a strip of coke can to protect where I don't want to remove brass.

Clean your file frequently on the edge you want to cut and go slow.

If you can figure a way to effectively spin the case, you might be able to use a Dremel one-sided sanding disc. I'm guessing that you don't need to remove much metal. Take your time and it will work out fine.

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=ndnchf;5524660]I make a lot of cases and use the lathe for umany operations - including thinning rims. It is much easier than using a file. This is one of my videos, its about making .25 Stevens rimfire from .22 Hornet. At about the 9:40 point I start the rim thinning operation.

Two questions - the parting tool you're using. HS steel or carbide?
    Secondly since your drilling out the primer pocket for the acorn blank could you not thin the rim by facing it off?
    Still getting used to all this lathe stuff.

thin rims with a File??

Which brand of .303 brass are you using? European made brass will be within spec for .303 Brit. Whereas Rem and especially Win brass is always smaller/thinner.

Win vs PPU

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fred2892; 01-29-2023 at 04:29 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    Secondly since your drilling out the primer pocket for the acorn blank could you not thin the rim by facing it off?
    The OAL case length will be shorter by the amount removed from the rim if you cut from the headstamp side plus you lose the headstamp.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=Shanghai Jack;5525578]
    Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    Two questions - the parting tool you're using. HS steel or carbide?
    Still getting used to all this lathe stuff.
    That is a carbide tool, but HSS would be fine too. I just happen to have that one set up in the quick change tool holder. I modify a lot of different cases and when the rim needs thinning, I always do it from the neck side. I make some .25 Stevens centerfire too.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by muskeg13 View Post
    I don't have a lathe either and feel the need to apply innovative measures on occasion. A wrap of scotch tape or thin packing tape where you don't want material removed is very useful to protect the brass. I'd wrap the cartridges at the base and maybe use a strip of coke can to protect where I don't want to remove brass.

Clean your file frequently on the edge you want to cut and go slow.

If you can figure a way to effectively spin the case, you might be able to use a Dremel one-sided sanding disc. I'm guessing that you don't need to remove much metal. Take your time and it will work out fine.
    Good Stuff...Thanks
    will try

Quote Originally Posted by fred2892 View Post
    Which brand of .303 brass are you using? European made brass will be within spec for .303 Brit. Whereas Rem and especially Win brass is always smaller/thinner.

Win vs PPU

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Most of mine is WW
    , but, Note; the bit of European brass in the mix fireforms in one or two shots with no "waist"

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    The OAL case length will be shorter by the amount removed from the rim if you cut from the headstamp side plus you lose the headstamp.
    Should Not be an Issue... the OAL is too short with 303 to start. a bit more sure ain't gonna matter... Headstamp??? maybe make our Own...401 Hickerbilly??

I’ve used a drill press and a HF mini mill to shape/thin brass over the years. Never thinned rims from the neck end but probably could build a jig and bearing to do it. Mini lathe would be the best though.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Thinking of turning brass with drill, or lathe... got it in my head that a Bastard file without "teeth" on the edge, yea, they prolly gots a name... but...IDK. Anyway want to trim from case side...Not head, as I do Not want primers proud.
    If anyone done this...LMK yer experience please...
    yes, could just do it with lathe... but.. A File seems actually Easier.. with my current eyesight and hand eye coordination... I will probably end up with some Rimless with the lathe!!!
    Thinned the rims on 50 cases by chucking empty case in large Variable Speed drill , clamp drill in bench vice and then used Swiss Needle File to thin from back side , less material to remove and keep checking with calipers .
    Not all of us have completed outfitted machine shops ... or any sort of lath .

Cajuns have to make do .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast