WidenersRepackboxLoad DataPBcastco
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Reloading 30 Cal carbine ??????

Boolit Buddy

Reloading 30 Cal carbine ??????

Reloading for my M1 carbine do I need to use a crimp die or a taper crimp die for this rifle. I crimp all my reloads for my semiautos. AR,AK M1,SKS. thank you.
    NRA Life member since 91
    Retired Guard 20yrs
    Shoot,Shovel,Shut-up

Head spacing on the mouth of the case, I'd think taper is the correct answer.

But I was the only boy with 3 sisters, what could I possibly know?

Boolit Grand Master

Taper crimp!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

If you happen to have a Lee 120gr RNGC give that a try. Our carbines well shoot those.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Never had a function problem with the old fashioned crimp. With straight and semi straight wall semi-auto cases it is important to have no significant flare at the case neck for consistent feeding.
    I never have had any problems with mine relative to primer ignition and using a crimp. A taper crimp would be better for cast bullets I think.

One can see that this case has a slight amount of tapper from .356 to .336. for a pristine new factory shell.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Head spacing on the mouth of the case, I'd think taper is the correct answer.
    Yes, this is correct. Also, trim length is critical so don't skip that step. The carbine does well with cast and my favorite boolits are the Lyman 311359 and the 311576, but the there are others (Lee) that work just fine too.
    Good loading.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161126_140819.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	309783

Boolit Grand Master

A taper crimp is correct. You can back the FL die (w/o the deprime stem if it has one) and adjust to taper crimp. That works just fine.

I've loaded thousands of cast bullets in the 30 Carine for use in M1 and M2 Carbines.

Name:	001 - Copy (4).jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	309784

Name:	DSC00357.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	309785
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I don't think I've ever seen nor even HEARD OF a roll-crimp die for .30 Carbine. It's been MY impression that all reloading dies for it were taper-crimp, only. I guess one can get most anything wanted on a custom basis.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Mold
    Yes for a taper crimp

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by avogunner View Post
    Yes, this is correct. Also, trim length is critical so don't skip that step. The carbine does well with cast and my favorite boolits are the Lyman 311359 and the 311576, but the there are others (Lee) that work just fine too.
    Good loading.

Name:	20161126_140819.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	309783
    Definitely trim your brass and taper crimp!

Larry...how do those beautiful LSWC HP's function and what sort of accuracy are you getting? Sizing to 0.310" has worked in several '03 Springfields for me...is that good for M1 carbines as well?

I've had a pair of carbines since the early 70's that have always been fed FMJ's...accuracy runs to ~3" or so a 100 yds. I've got Lyman's 311259gc as well as a cpl 0.314" .32 cal. molds but have always hesitated fearing lead infestation in and around my gas port/piston. What say you? Rod
    Rod

Boolit Grand Master

[B]Larry[/B]...how do those beautiful LSWC HP's function and what sort of accuracy are you getting? Sizing to 0.310" has worked in several '03 Springfields for me...is that good for M1 carbines as well?

Last time I shot them a 15 round mag went into 2 1/4" at 100 yards from my shooter scoped M1 Carbine. I size them at .309 for the M1 carbines. Functioning is 100% but I've polished the feed ramps on my shooter. Before that one occasionally would hang up on the feed raamp. Never had the problem in any M1/M2 with the 311359 cast bullet.

I've had a pair of carbines since the early 70's that have always been fed FMJ's...accuracy runs to ~3" or so a 100 yds. I've got Lyman's 311259gc as well as a cpl 0.314" .32 cal. molds but have always hesitated fearing lead infestation in and around my gas port/piston. What say you? Rod

I shot thousands of 311359s through numerous M1/M2 carbines and had problems with only one. That was with an M2 Carbine that had a burr on the gas port which led to leading past it. As to build up of lead/fouling in the gas cylinder, it's never been a problem. Even with M2s fired full auto.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Larry, Many thanks for the response...I'll give it a try. BTW, using that 311359gc in my two Krags was a revelation. Sized 0.310", they didn't lead whatsoever, and accuracy with the issue sights (and my eyes) was superb. 2" or less at 50 yds, if I spent some time inspecting them. Annealing the GC's helped as well, reducing 50 yd groups by 1/2". Oddly enough, that same bullet didn't perk as well in my '03s, which really liked 311291gc at 0.310". All of the above were wheel weigh alloy with enough tin to help fill out and air cooled. Best regards, Rod and thanx again.
    Rod