Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guess I can make fun of the French anymore

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    Desert Storm. Sort of. The politicians pulled us out before it was really won, or we wouldn't have had to go back for much of the next 30 years.
    No, you are right. The Gulf War was a win for the USA. It gets forgotten too often due to what happens after 2001. Just goes to show wins and losses aren't everything.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    As I recall, the UNITED STATES wasn't involved in that one. It was Great Britain and France.
    I agree.

Boolit Master

The French helped us win our Revolution. We bailed them out in two world wars. I figure we should be even.
    At the end of WW2 the US made it clear we weren’t going to support colonialism, but backpedaled on that in SE Asia to help the French hang on to Vietnam. WW2 left France so devastated they had to use the defeated Japanese army, that had overran French Indochina, to control these territories.
    The US also engaged in a form of benevolent colonialism ourselves to stop the communists from taking over the Philippines. War truly makes for strange bedfellows.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TurnipEaterDown View Post
    The French used to win a lot of wars. Thankfully they helped the rebelling colonists in NA against Great Britain near the end of the 18th century, w/o the French there would be no United States. That was a winning war for them.
    Also, look at the royalty of GB, Norman. Normans come from Normandy.

The bitter stubby little man Napoleon sort of put them on a bad path by getting the physically better slice of their male population exterminated. I saw a paper written on that a few years back. His massive losses shifted the overall genetics of France.
    The Normans were Norse - second generation from settling in France. Yes, they adopted the language, but that doesn't make them exactly French.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    As I recall, the UNITED STATES wasn't involved in that one. It was Great Britain and France.
    The French-Indian War was only a sub part of the Seven Years War. There were 15 European countries involved(Russia switched sides during it), 10 Asian countries, 4 South American countries, plus 19 North American colonies/tribes.

Took a couple of peace treaties to end it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by perotter View Post
    The French-Indian War was only a sub part of the Seven Years War. There were 15 European countries involved(Russia switched sides during it), 10 Asian countries, 4 South American countries, plus 19 North American colonies/tribes.

Took a couple of peace treaties to end it.
    I think his point was that this happened in 1753 to 1763. It ended more than 10 years before the USA was even a country.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    The Normans were Norse - second generation from settling in France. Yes, they adopted the language, but that doesn't make them exactly French.
    The Northmen settled and integrated with the native peoples of northern Kingdom of Francia. Normandy wasn't just a piece land occupied only by Vikings. I think when people decide to move and live elsewhere then that is what they are regardless of their ancestry. The Normans were not exactly French because they were their own duchy but their culture, language and religion was very French by the time they conquered England. At one time the Franks were just a German tribe that conquered Gaul that pushed out the Celts of that region. It gets convoluted when you look at how the diaspora of the Germanic tribes conquered all the former Celtic lands. I think the argument can be made that Normandy was not France but they were a French duchy.
    Last edited by RSAPD; 02-04-2023 at 12:48 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnipEaterDown View Post
    The French used to win a lot of wars. Thankfully they helped the rebelling colonists in NA against Great Britain near the end of the 18th century, w/o the French there would be no United States. That was a winning war for them.
    Also, look at the royalty of GB, Norman. Normans come from Normandy.

The bitter stubby little man Napoleon sort of put them on a bad path by getting the physically better slice of their male population exterminated. I saw a paper written on that a few years back. His massive losses shifted the overall genetics of France.
    THe assistance they provided wasnt particularly of the greatest.

A few warships, notably The Bonhomme Richard, sold because it was already past its useful life span and was slated to be sent to the ship breakers. Sold to americans to save the cost of unloading it. Cannons so old and unsafe that many actually explored during the famous fight.

Muskets that were completely outdated and were actually consigned to the scrap bin when the french and indian war ended.

Do not forget that once america had gotten rid of the british, the french started a naval war with the USA in an attempt to force it under french colonial rule.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    France catches a lot of crap. To get a different perspective, read "Verdun", about their fighting in WW1.
    The french military in ww1 is not something to waft poetic about.

However the only REAL military accomplishment of France after Napolean was deposed, was their victory of the Tripoli Pirates of north africa.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12