NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tom View Post
    a pound of C6H2(NO2)3CH3 will do the trick
    If only subscripts would work...

Boolit Master
    Yes, all the organo-nitrates are very convenient substances for stump removal. It's the OBTAINING of them that is problematic. And any who try to make their own fully deserve the trouble that will eventually visit them.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Bub
    Ive heard drilling holes in the stump and filling it with buttermilk will work. The bacteria in buttermilk is supposed to eat away the wood

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I've seen video of a guy who used a bag of charcoal in winter.

Drilled a central hole in stump then drilled a couple of smaller air holes into that from the sides to allow air to get in…..
    I like this idea. Sold my last chainsaw 15 years ago, at my age there won’t be another. Ditto for the JD 410W and chains. Don’t have room in the garage for them.
    I’ve been thinking of using a skill-saw to cut 3” deep slots 3/4” apart across the top of this stump, north to south and east to west. Still have a 15 lb electric demo hammer and a 2” chisel point. Starting 3” down from top of the stump I can cross-chisel the wood sticking up between the sawcuts. Go across the whole stump to take 3” off the top and start the process over again.
    But it would be way less labor intensive to go with the charcoal method. Just need an old shallow metal pan with holes for a cover. Or an old pot lid.

Boolit Master

Here in Florida, if you drill as many 1 inch or bigger holes in the stump as you can then the water from the rains will do the rest. This method takes about a year but you can speed it up by drilling more holes of any size after it rains to let in more water.

Getting water in the stump is the key things. I have removed about 6 stumps using this method.

I used ammonia fertilizer on a couple small stumps, worked by enticing termites to devour them. Can't burn them in the city. Depends on the type of tree. Maul and wedge will work on old wood, not so easy for green stuff.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Charcoal brickets are the simple and the Fastest. Five bags on top. Stump is Gone
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I burned a big stump out a few years ago. Set it on fire in November, was still smoking in March!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I burned a big stump out a few years ago. Set it on fire in November, was still smoking in March!
    You are supposed to bury them when you are done.

Boolit Master
    I used 1/2 stick of dynomite to take out cherry tree stumps in the orchard. Round steel bar bigger than sticks to make hole under stump then set it of . Planted new tree in spring.

Boolit Master
    Blowing stumps was pretty common in the day you could buy a couple of sticks of gelignite ,caps and fuze at the local hardware store.

The commercial products are not much faster than Mother Nature. There are some YouTube videos on burning them but black powder is a lot more fun.

Boolit Grand Master

If you burn them a fire ring around them and a shop vac set up to blow ( most allow the hose to be plugged into the exhaust) into it really increases the burn and speed.
    We did it this way. Let stump dry for a month or two in the sun. drill holes 3/4"-1" as deep as you can and as many as possible. soak filling holes with diesel fuel old oil mix and covering for a week soak as needed. Charcoal, brush, we used stoker coal a few times fire on top and around sides. get going good and turn blower on. Have everything back a ways when the blower goes on it is going to get very hot.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a couple of small stumps I want to get rid of.
    When I chopped it down, I drilled holes in it and filled it with Round up.
    It killed the tree stump, but didn't do much of anything else.
    Can't burn it.
    No open fires allowed in this idiot state.
    I've read that those stump removers take a long time, if they work at all, to eat the stump.
    Be watching this thread to see if anything comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    I have a couple of small stumps I want to get rid of.
    When I chopped it down, I drilled holes in it and filled it with Round up.
    It killed the tree stump, but didn't do much of anything else.
    Can't burn it.
    No open fires allowed in this idiot state.
    I've read that those stump removers take a long time, if they work at all, to eat the stump.
    Be watching this thread to see if anything comes up.
    You can remove alot of wood volume using a chain saw with a carbide chain. Just be extra carful plunging in with front of bar and know where the upper front quadrant is on your bar to avoid a nasty kickback. If you hit some dirt with carbide will not dull it like a steel chain will dull. Eventually it will, avoid rocks and steel it will break the carbide inserts.

Boolit Master
    I use a John Deere 500 back hoe. It takes a couple of hours and leaves a big hole. Still a lot faster than days of burning or a year of stump remover.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12