Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
PBcastco Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stump Remover Chemicals

Boolit Master

Stump Remover Chemicals

Anyone had success with commercially available Stump Removers? We have a fresh pal. Tree stump fifteen inches diameter. It’s seven inches above where I want it to be. A stump grinder isn’t in the cards, too many things that would get in the way or damaged.

Boolit Master
    I think "Stump Killer" is pretty much pure Salt Petre (potassium nitrate), which I view as far too irreplaceable in "other processes" to be poured on a stump.
    Do you have a power drill and a spade drill bit of any width? I think I'd drill some holes as deep as you can and situated in a way similar to the numbers on a clock (not the digital ones). One should be in the center of the "watch face", and the others should be midway between the center and the outer edge of the stump. Pour DRANO or dry sodium hydroxide pellets in the holes and pour water in the holes (NOT needed with liquid DRANO). Forget about it until next weekend, then check & see if the wood hasn't loosened up considerably.
    You'll probably find that it can be chipped away from the center & surrounding holes. If nothing else, it should be easier to attack this way, than going at it from the outside with a bow saw or other wood-cutting implement.
    Last edited by Kosh75287; 01-27-2023 at 10:28 AM.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    Get some firewood and start a camp fire on it. Cook some hotdogs and make some smores...

How I take care of em.

I've got a twenty five pound keg of black powder, plenty of cannon fuse, and prolly a hundred small CO2 empty cartridges. I'd have to have some fun. Matter of fact I'm getting ready to make a stump about the size that you mention.

Now look what you've done. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Grand Master

I used it on a stump grown through a chain link fence. Some 20 years later it is mostly still there.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    C3h5n309

I cut mine down low using a carbide chain, then drill holes and pour some diesel in the holes let it soak for a week or so then pour on more diesel and place scrap wood on top and burn it. This has worked well for me on smaller stumps 12 to 16" dia. Not so well on a 48" Silver Maple stump. I ended up renting a large grinder for two large silver maple stumps. I did use vegetable oil and charcoal on a tree stump in our flower bed and that also worked. It took 4 yds of dirt to fill the holes where the large stumps were ground out.

Boolit Master
    I have cut stumps as close to the ground as I could, a couple about 36" + or so, then dug a little out around the stump, local feed store has some stump killer, poured it on, if I have time it will be dead in less than a year and well-rotted, if I am in a hurry, I pour on the stump killer and let soak in for a few days, kills the routs, then I drill holes all over the stump and pour drain oil on and let it soak in for a week, then pour on more drain oil, and let it soak in, then a little diesel, pile on some scrap wood or charcoal and light, will burn itself out in a few days well below ground.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JRLesan View Post
    C3h5n309
    Most people are not versed in the use of this.....

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JRLesan View Post
    C3h5n309
    Do you mean C3H5(NO3)3?

Boolit Master
    I drilled 1" holes and filled them with muriatic acid. It took a while but worked.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Boolit Grand Master

There are two "free" methods that I've used successfully. The first step in both is to dig around the stump with a shovel and pick axe/mattock to expose the main roots. From there you can either cut the stump off as flush as you can with a chainsaw, then bury it under dirt. The other way is using an axe, cut the main roots as best as you can. Expose around the stump so you can wrap a chain around it. Pull it out slow and steady with a tractor or truck. Use chain, not recovery straps.

No, I've never seen a store bought chemical that eats up stumps in any reasonable amount of time. Burning them does work if you have a full weekend to watch the fire.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 36g View Post
    Do you mean C3H5(NO3)3?
    Makes a nice little boom

Boolit Grand Master

C3H5(NO3)3 AKA Nitroglycerin is hard to come by.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    C3H5(NO3)3 AKA Nitroglycerin is hard to come by.
    And there's a reason for that...

Boolit Master
    I cleared my back acre in 1995 .....drove the stumps into the ground with a pile driving weight........two years ago ,I decided to build my retirement hobby shed there ,the excavation for the slab kept digging up stumps .......as it had council building permits,location couldnt be moved,so I had to get in a guy with a radar and dig out each stump,then backfill and compact the hole.

Boolit Master
    Nitrogen, ammonia nitrate is the ticket for getting stumps to rot quickly. The micro organisms that break down cellulose need the nitrogen. If I need it gone quicker than nature, I dig around it, drill a hole down the middle, and burn it out. Different woods have different difficulties both ways.

If you’re patient, I hear stump rot works. I’ve always needed a stump gone when I wanted it gone so I would dig it up. I would dig a bit, chop the roots, pry the stump up, then bury the hole. It didn’t take too long.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

I've seen video of a guy who used a bag of charcoal in winter.

Drilled a central hole in stump then drilled a couple of smaller air holes into that from the sides to allow air to get in.

Fill the cavity with charcoal and light it up. After a day repeat only now the cavity will be much bigger.

The video I saw I think he filled it 3 times, the last time there was virtually nothing left.

I think he covered the stump with a piece of tin laid on loose to keep wind from blowing sparks.

I have a big cottonwood stump I may do that with next year if I find some ambition.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Bub
    I've got a 55 gallon drum with both end cut out.
    I put it over stumps and ad a bit of kerosene, lots of brush and burn it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast