Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: P17 Eddystone sporter project

News to me, I've had 4 Remington 700's in my life. 4 of 4 problem children so I never paid that much attention to them. Always thought the Safari's were a different action.

1st 700 was a .243 I bought new from Cabela's 20+ years ago. I could not get that thing to shoot under 3". I did a chamber cast and the rifling on one side started an inch further forward than the other side.

I took it back to Cabela's and told them it was defective and I wanted my money back. Handed them my target with the grapefruit size group. Was told it was my scope. Told him I used a 6.5x20 Leupold. He still insisted that it was the scope. Target #2, same group. 36x Leupold. Well, maybe it isn't the scope but it's not a defective rifle. It's your shooting and reloads. Target #3, 5/8" group from my 220 Swift. It's still not a defective rifle. Pulled out the chamber cast. Well, it does appear to have a small problem. Told him my next conversation was going to be with my lawyer. They consented to trade me for a new identical model in the box.

Took rifle #2 and a box of Remington Premiers. Group was now baseball size. I then wrote a nasty gram to Remington. They sent a box and a pre-paid shipper. A week later I get an email stating they found a problem with the barrel. Two weeks later I get rifle #3. It shot ~1-1/4" with what was left of the box of Remington Premiers. But coppered so badly, after 40 rounds you could see chunks of copper hanging on the rifling. Cleaning every day for a week is not my definition of a usable rifle. After about 4000 rounds the coppering kinda sorta went away. Right about the same time as the throat. Need to Re-barrel that. Just have to decide what caliber.

Rifle #4 was a Classic in 221 Fireball that I trade a buddy for. He wanted my 94 Trapper in 45 Colt for his grandson. He warned me that it was squirrelly but he had only shot a couple of boxes of ammo through it. That rifle will shoot beautifully for 5-10-40 rounds with no problems. Then completely disintegrate the primer. Or just flatten it mildly. This is with loads at the very bottom of manual listed loads. Cases trimmed below minimum length, necks turned to almost paper thin to make sure I'm not pinching the bullet. Different primers, powders, bullets seated waaay below max. Same loads I shot out of a Contender all day long with nary a problem.

Still have that and don't know what to do with it. I had two different gunsmith's look at it, including a "certified" Remington repair station. To them there is not a single thing they can find wrong with it.

Don't want to do a Cabela's, rifle #1 in this long winded diatribe ended up on the used rack at Cabela's the following week I "traded".

The moral of the story is I don't pay much attention to Remington 700's.

I had seen problems #1 & #2 that you mention on Remingtons, clear back to later 1980s. Early 90s a friend also got a new 220 Swift VS with a crown so bad that (in a rush for a PD shoot trip) he hand lapped it to cut 100 yd groups under an inch and then called it good to go.

Really, I think all these are QC defects, and not design though.
    Kenny Jarret built his "Beanfield" rifles on 700s until the tooling on the receivers got so worn that it was just better to move on to niche manufacturing. (My understanding.)

Running a mature business like Remington is comes with some significant cost problems, and my guess is that they just couldn't figure out what to do, couldn't face doing it, or couldn't capitalize the equipment changes necessary to turn it around. I guess we see the result now. The old company is gone, product under same name made by someone else (my recollection is that they were bought out somewhat recently).

Boolit Master
    Finally got the bore pics, work has been crazy, I now know why we had 3 people quit in the last year....

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Oh... I would call that Ugly!!
    Have a Mauser that had a bore like that... but since it was a 7mm in a Large Ring, I thought it Odd enough to save..
    Now... I do Not like this method... But for Me...it worked.. 8 or so, grains of Red Dot, a wad (I used Cardboard Beer Box, but I think grocery store meat counter or egg carton Foam, might be better) over Powder, then fill to Neck with Corn Meal.. cast boolit, no need for gas check... do Not let these sit around and "Cake"... get to shootin 'em... The Barrel will, after some 20+ rounds, be about a good as it will get by "cleaning"
    Load as you would for a Shiney barrel...after another 20-50 rounds... it will either "come around" or... Maybe ya gotta give up on it..
    Did the above on both that 7mm...which did Not come around, and with an 8X57 that came around Nicely...Not shiney...But shoots Quite well indeed... Or... for instant gratification??? IDK

Rifling looks strong to me.
    Years ago I would have been scared by the apparent frosting, but I wouldn't be now after seeing what I have since buying a borescope and using it on some old rifles of mine that do function & shoot OK.

I'd start with a patch wrapped on a brush correct for caliber, smear JB compound into the whole patch, use a little light oil or hoppes on the bore beforehand and start scrubbing to see what happens. Just some time and effort. It is possible that it might be brought to a point where it can shoot reasonably well.

Earlier in thread there was comment on headspace being long. As noted, you can form to chamber and set dies appropriately (as long as the reason isn't excess case head exposure due to botched assembly or rebuild) or rechambering a 30-06 to something like 30 Gibbs is reasonable too, and is less of a change in chamber dimensions than going to a belted magnum.

Quote Originally Posted by Remiel View Post
    Finally got the bore pics, work has been crazy, I now know why we had 3 people quit in the last year....

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Remiel : There are several alternatives to going full on Belted Magnum which is going to be a PITB to get to feed right. Those alternatives are well documented, have JES Re-bore the barrel to any of the following .

.35 Whelan, .375 Whelan, .400 Whelan. On the .400 do a little Research as cases made from .30-06 cases will not headspace correctly. Quality Cartridge makes proper cases with the correct Head Stamp, also the Chamber has to be done correctly. Reading up on Michael Petrov's experiences with that caliber will aim you in the right direction. (Google Michael Petrov/.400 Whelan.)

All of these conversions are done by simply re-boring and chambering the barrel, nothing more. Then I would expect to do something creative with that stock. (Burn it!) Like get one from Boyd's or someone else. You'll end up with a unique Rifle. And it will be Cast Boolit Friendly!

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 02-11-2023 at 03:21 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

15M are you getting any "Lake Time" in this year? Sounds like everything is froze solid up your way. Tales of the Ice Boat are welcome.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Also 338/06 either standard or improved. If it were mine would first de-copper the bore (if you haven't already) and then go the bore snake and Turtle Wax route to see how it cleans up. Then test fire and determine if it is worth keeping as is or re-boring to another caliber. I would opt for 35 Whelan as there is a wide variety of molds and J bullets available.

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    15M are you getting any "Lake Time" in this year? Sounds like everything is froze solid up your way. Tales of the Ice Boat are welcome.

Randy
    I'm too far south, I typically sail on the west end of Lake Erie, right at the Michigan and Ohio line. At Christmas time it froze up but got dumped on with snow. Last week we had a Hollywood plate of ice in the bay another 24 hours and we would have been sailing. Then 25 mile an hour winds broke the plate in half and sent it towards Buffalo. Next day wind did the same with what was left. Fishermen are going out in boats as I type. Low 50's yesterday with lots of sun, 40ish today with almost as much sun. Wisconsin has had great ice, From Ludington on up is supposed to be great ice. 4 hour drive or more.

May have to load up a boat on the trailer and chase ice. Traverse City Ice Yacht Club usually hosts a fun regatta towards the end of the season.

My mid-sized boat on Hollywood Ice:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220118_151428_resized.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	310289

My most favorite Iceboat photo:

Name:	20220208_173003_resized.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	310290

I have one of these, 80% complete on the restoration, backbone we think dates to the 30-40's perhaps the plank also. Mast is 1970 vintage. 99% of the hardware has been updated.

Me, sailing my buddy's boat, last winter. Hope mine looks this good when I'm done. And yes, Iceboaters buy epoxy and spar varnish by the gallon.

Name:	received_(1).jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	310291

I'll have to dig out the newsletter article and photo about the Coast Guard chopper that was dispatched from Detroit to rescue one of the club members on Maumee Bay(Toledo). By the time the CG got there, I think Sam was on beer # 3 and trying to figure out what all the commotion was about. Toledo police, Ohio DNR, local fire department and the Coast Guard was called because a stay parted and dropped the mast.

The story is quite a hoot. Within the club, there is an annual trophy awarded for the biggest screwup/most damage/tallest tale. Sam got it for the Coast Guard.

I only performed minor rhinoplasty on my old DN to get the Bomb Award in 2014.

Name:	2014-03-09 14.30.01.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	310292

Dumbest sport ever invented.

And I love hijacking threads......
    Last edited by 15meter; 02-09-2023 at 10:27 AM.

Banner Sponsor

35 Whelen with CFE223 and Speer 250s will push 2800fps from a 26" barrel. Speer has load data published that beats 358 Norma with older powders.
    Last edited by lar45; 02-08-2023 at 07:08 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234