Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45 ACP Knockdown Power

Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    35W,
    nice looking 6 gun
    Thanks!

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    The OP's post, describing the "post-impact flight trajectory" of the chronograph sorta points up one of the attributes of the .45 ACP that, I believe, makes it such an effective fight-stopper. It takes a considerable amount of momentum to launch a "newly ventilated" chronograph 15 feet or more, into a target stand. Other rounds made before and after the .45 ACP have more kinetic energy, but a great many don't have its momentum, nor the broad surface over which to transmit it to a target.

I don't want to light off another endless debate about K.E. vs. Bullet weight & Bore area, or "energy dump" dynamics, but I truly believe that bullet weight, moderate velocity, and bore area are major determinants of fight-stopping capacity.
    Pushed to the absolute limit of +P chamber pressure, a .38 Special can launch a 200 gr. flat point at about 800 f/s. With somewhat more ease, a .45 ACP can launch a 200 gr. LSWC at the same velocity. Both rounds have the same K.E. and momentum, but I'D trust the .45 ACP more in a fight, because it transmits both over a broader area (by 60%).

Okay, I don't want to drift this thread, but I thought it might be worth the time to point it out.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Buddy
    While I'd love to have a Labradar the budget won't support that at this time; maybe sometime in the future. I ordered a replacement today, same model that I had. Its supposed to be delivered on Feb 6. I couldn't find an for one made out of kevlar; so there's always the possibility of chapter 2.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    I don't want to light off another endless debate about K.E. vs. Bullet weight & Bore area, or "energy dump" dynamics, but I truly believe that bullet weight, moderate velocity, and bore area are major determinants of fight-stopping capacity.
    Pushed to the absolute limit of +P chamber pressure, a .38 Special can launch a 200 gr. flat point at about 800 f/s. With somewhat more ease, a .45 ACP can launch a 200 gr. LSWC at the same velocity. Both rounds have the same K.E. and momentum, but I'D trust the .45 ACP more in a fight, because it transmits both over a broader area (by 60%).

Okay, I don't want to drift this thread, but I thought it might be worth the time to point it out.
    I was trying to play on the "caliber wars" when I came up with the title of the thread, but that was an attempt to get you guys to read it; not really having any thing to do with the different calibers.

But; maybe you guys would like to offer me your opinions on a decision I'm trying to make. There was a time when 45 ACP was a daily carry for me. One day I was at a gun show, had been thinking about picking up a DA/SA 9mm when my hand discovered the CZ PCR (its 9mm). It was love at first touch and I've been carrying it ever since (about 8 years now). When I first got it, folks warned me about possible problems racking the slide do to the reduced amount of real estate. I checked, didn't have a problem, so I began carrying it. Several months ago I discovered I couldn't rack the slide if the hammer was down in DA mode. (I have a preference for hammer fired guns and can only think of one model that I own which has a striker.) Last week was my birthday (the site sent a nice birthday message), I'll be eligible for medicare next year. I'm trying to figure out what I need to do so I can operate the gun I carry, hopefully not spending a bunch of money to do it. (There's also the old eye problem.)

So I guess this is more of a which gun rather than a which caliber question. One solution I've thought about is to put a red dot on the CZ. That would involve a mounting adapter (it replaces the rear sight) and the optic itself. The other options are the Beretta 92FS, a Bersa Ultra Compact 45, or the above mentioned P-220. I control the 9mm recoil better than I do the 45, but that might just be a training issue. The CZ mags hold 14 while the Beretta's hold 18. The Sig holds 8 but 10 are available and the Bersa holds 8. I don't have any issue racking the Beretta or Sig.

I've been playing with various grips on the Beretta and haven't yet found the "right" one (I think I'm getting close though). The CZ is a perfect fit. The Sig fits pretty well also, seems to point naturally and comes on target easily. Its been many years since I've put my hands on the Bersa and haven't started the process with that one.

I have a 9mm mold but haven't started casting for it yet. If I'm understanding the pressure issue correctly, 45 ACP should be easier to deal with.

So, whatdaya think and why?

Boolit Master
    Pettyplace and his VIRGEL app is where you need to go. It will provide everything you need to know on calibers, wounding mass and penetration. It is the last word on self defense cartridges and the bullets thereof..

Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    There are two kinds of shooters. Those who have shot their chronograph and those who are going to shoot their chronograph. I belong to the first group.
    Nope
    Lab radar!! Problem solved!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by billmc2 View Post
    ...So, whatdaya think and why?
    I understand about money and the Labradar. I had to 'save up' for a bit before I got it but it was really worth it to me.

One of the problems I always had with the CZ type is the lack of surface area to pull the slide.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/ti...-the-cz-slide/

And a solution for competition.

https://cajungunworks.com/product/cg...-racker-sight/

At one time there were smaller versions of this for the 1911. My HK vp9 has small vertical 'bumps' that can be installed to help with the slide.

PS it is harder to control the .45 than the 9mm, especially in a small pistol. I also understand the sight issue. I use progressive lenses in my glasses and have had to 'adjust' my head 'tilt' to get the correct wight picture. Looks funny but works. Red dots are nice but have a learning curve. Don't expect them to be 'easy' right out of the box. Once you learn to use them it is hard to go back

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I understand about money and the Labradar. I had to 'save up' for a bit before I got it but it was really worth it to me.

One of the problems I always had with the CZ type is the lack of surface area to pull the slide.

At one time there were smaller versions of this for the 1911. My HK vp9 has small vertical 'bumps' that can be installed to help with the slide.

PS it is harder to control the .45 than the 9mm, especially in a small pistol. I also understand the sight issue. I use progressive lenses in my glasses and have had to 'adjust' my head 'tilt' to get the correct wight picture. Looks funny but works. Red dots are nice but have a learning curve. Don't expect them to be 'easy' right out of the box. Once you learn to use them it is hard to go back
    My Bifoculars cause me to need to "cock my head" as well... but, whatever Works!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post

Thanks, I'll look into that piece from Cajun. I also have the progressives and my head tilts back so I can look out the bottom. As for the Labradar, maybe in a year or two but not now.

Boolit Master
    I'll tempt fate. Have not shot one so far but did have one wear out on me. New one has blue tooth which I could give two about.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    There are two kinds of shooters. Those who have shot their chronograph and those who are going to shoot their chronograph. I belong to the first group.
    3 types. Those who have, those who will, and those that take great care when they have several hundred dollars in front of their gun.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Yep. Kinda makes you "think" about the soldiers whoa have to advance under covering fire.

Boolit Buddy

Yes, we do feel your pain. I put one of mine to rest with a .450/400, several years ago. I'm more careful now.

35W: What I learned was that the opposite is true. With most chrono's there's a zone from about half to three fourths of the way up from the sensors where the bullet is best detected.
    Never suspected that...and I've been chrono'ing for 20+ years now. Full disclosure: two PACT screens and one stand...using a Pro now. Best regards, Rod
    Rod

Boolit Buddy

mine got blasted by a 325gr from a 480. Dead in tracks. Fortunately a new sensing unit was not that much $. I did put 1/8 inch wood dowels in and had them hit once with no damage to sense unit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12