Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Be Patient Waiting On Reamers...

Vendor Sponsor

Be Patient Waiting On Reamers...

Dave Manson is swamped with work, he does all the resharpening, I sent a 9mm throater a couple weeks ago to be sharpened and I have no idea when it will come back, I was told a couple of weeks by the staff, not Dave, and he is so busy I can't even get a call back from him, so if you are awaiting a reamer, give it plenty of extra time. I will try and get an idea tomorrow, and may have to invest in a new reamer that is less time consuming to put the live pilot nose on to speed things up.

Don't get impatient and go order one from Brownell's, unless you are ordering the piloted reamer and the pilots. The solid nose reamer has a fixed pilot on it that is several thousandths smaller than the lands, you might as well not have a pilot at all, there is NO way to accurately center one of these in your barrel. You might as well just use a chucking reamer in a dewalt drill. About the same probability of accuracy = 50% at best.

Add to that Manson is the only one that sells the specific 9mm reamer I use for throating pistol barrels, you won't get one of these anywhere else.

You will always have better and more professional quality work done when the right tooling is used.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 02-07-2023 at 06:59 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Doug,

Thanks for the update. I'll be glad to wait for your 9MM service.

Boolit Grand Master

Our 414 Supermag reamer only took 19 months. But then we were down here near the whole time so it was a none-issue.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Vendor Sponsor

JGS wants $185 + shipping both ways and 6mo lead time to resharpen carbide reamers that they made. They will sharpen PTG carbide, but they punish you for buying PTG when you want it sharpened!

I have given up trying to make throating hardened or nitrided barrels a workable situation. New carbide reamer is 2x or 3x the cost of HSS, takes months and months before delivery and only good for 10, maybe 12 barrels at the most before it begins to cut ragged and the diameter of the throat that it cuts starts shrinking.

Edit 2/15/2023: I still have a good sharp carbide throater for 10mm/40S&W, cuts a .402" freebore, so as long as this one is cutting good I will continue to offer throating of hardened barrels in this caliber only.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 02-15-2023 at 10:01 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by PJEagle View Post
    Doug,

Thanks for the update. I'll be glad to wait for your 9MM service.
    The 9mm reamer has arrived from Manson being sharpened.