Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 ACP Knockdown Power

Boolit Buddy

45 ACP Knockdown Power

I picked up a Sig P-220 DAK police trade in. So far I'm liking it. After racking the slide it goes into a half cock condition. This makes the trigger pull very smooth and light.

That 45 slug, boy can it hit. I ordered an Arsenal Mold, brass, two cavity 230 gr Keith bullet. I've powder coated these. I've been working up a load for it. This afternoon, I had 50 rounds to put through the chronograph using Accurate No 5 (various charges). At round 14, I had an opportunity to experience the knockdown power of the 45 ACP. Talk about a One Shot Stop. That 230 gr 45 slug hit the chronograph, knocking it down from the table I had it sitting on, then threw it about 15 feet before it ran into the target stand. DRT.

The 45 load development has run into a snag. I also had about 70 rounds of 44 Special to run through after I finished with the 45, that now, also, needs to be put on hold.

I also learned that I have more work to do on my double action trigger pull. If it was more of a straight back pull, the bullet wouldn't have been yanked down and the chronograph would have escaped unscathed.

Boolit Master
    I have 2 strips of 12" x 4.5" x .375" rolled steel which sit in front of my chronograph at a 30-degree angle from vertical, for exactly that reason. So far, I've been lucky, but I've seen two "Boone & Corckett Trophy-grade" chronographs that have bitten the dust when they "undertook a threatening posture toward the shooter" and left them no choice but to dispatch them.
    Most chronos are now built with the expectation that, at some point, they'll intercept an errant missile. You might enquire of the manufacturer about a refurb.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    Darnnit...Wish I would not have opened this!!! Hope My Luck don't run out!!, My Pro Chrono is very long in the tooth indeed... thinking early '90's!!
    Been thru plenty...only the "rods" been shot... that wreaked Havoc...but..some duct tape to hold the rod, and back in business... sometimes I purposely remove the rods!!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Darnnit...Wish I would not have opened this!!! Hope My Luck don't run out!!, My Pro Chrono is very long in the tooth indeed... thinking early '90's!!
    Been thru plenty...only the "rods" been shot... that wreaked Havoc...but..some duct tape to hold the rod, and back in business... sometimes I purposely remove the rods!!!!
    I went to the hardware store and bought some 1/8 wood dowel rod, they are cheap and cause less collateral damage.

A full power #4 Enfield kinda makes a mess too !

Dave
    Last edited by beemer; 01-26-2023 at 08:57 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    I went to the hardware store and bought some 1/8 wood dowel rod, they are cheap and cause less collateral damage.

A full power #4 Enfield kinda makes a mess too ! Thanks for the suggestion...My 10-22 can be a Bugger!!!maybe I need to re-think that Ruger??

Dave
    Now... Why I don't think of this Stuff??

Boolit Master
    I went to the hardware store and bought some 1/8 wood dowel rod, they are cheap and cause less collateral damage. A full power #4 Enfield kinda makes a mess too!

Dave
    Ohh, OUCH!!!
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

A full power #4 Enfield kinda makes a mess too !

Dave
    Bamboo skewers are I use
    You get a bunch for not much money

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I know this will not stop the pain but many before and there will be others after. Take some great pictures, know that you are now in the club and figure out what your motivation is on new purchase. Spring the big $ for the Labradar or stay old school, it's just gun money!

I feel your pain....

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Back when I used those type chronos I had some 1" thick Lexan that I put in front of the instruments. Saved one of them, but, another was not so lucky.

One of the reasons I now have a Labradar

The old Pro digital chrono is kinda neat, you can connect it to an IR printer and print out your entire shooting session on the spot.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    I have killed PACT screens over the years and with other draw backs of the PACT system I now have a Labradar, best move I have made, no problems with light conditions.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by bigboredad View Post
    Bamboo skewers are I use
    You get a bunch for not much money

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk
    This is what I used. Can't wait to set up the Labradar, no more attacking chronos to defend myself from.

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    I feel your pain....

35W
    Looks like a one shot stop with placement right in the vitals.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Yup. Lab radar has eliminated my chronograph concerns

I used to think that the closer the projectile was to the sensors, the more apt it was to be detected. What I learned was that the opposite is true. With most chrono's there's a zone from about half to three fourths of the way up from the sensors where the bullet is best detected.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

35W,
    nice looking 6 gun

Boolit Master

There are two kinds of shooters. Those who have shot their chronograph and those who are going to shoot their chronograph. I belong to the first group.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

Been there done that. The upside. Got a new one with all the bells and whistles.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master
    See, I told you there was a club! And Kudos to those of you openly admitting the incidents. Bamboo sticks and rubber bands for me, we will see what happens after I take my box out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast