Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Garand caliber choice?

Boolit Master

There’s only one choice - Gods caliber:

Thirty Govt. ought six!!

Semper Fi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    If I could only have one then I would stick with 30-06.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    OK: mine is 30-06. but the question that i have is; why would anyone want one in 308???????
    I have both calibers. The 30-06 is a 1953 H&R, .308 is a 1943 Springfield modified by the Navy in 1964. My advice is grab any decent M1 you can get, you can always swap.

EdZ
    San Diego/Borrego Springs

30.06 for me.

There are valid reasons for not shooting commercial 30.06 ammo out of a Garand. But if you are not competing in an "as issued" match, why not install an adjustable gas piston? You can shoot whatever ammo you want without the fear of beating up the op rod or bolt.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshoey View Post
    30.06 for me.

There are valid reasons for not shooting commercial 30.06 ammo out of a Garand. But if you are not competing in an "as issued" match, why not install an adjustable gas piston? You can shoot whatever ammo you want without the fear of beating up the op rod or bolt.
    That sounds like a good idea. I just finished tumbling a huge bucket of .30-06 mil brass, a lot of it marked "Match", to reload to M1 spec. It is in process now cleaning out the primer pockets. The P17 and '03A1 won't care much but I really want to be careful with the M1.

EdZ

The ultimate Alaskan bear-stopper: a .35 Whelen Mini-G by Shuff’s Parkerizing. It’s a true “carbine”-length M1 (16.1” Criterion barrel).

Pic below is from one of Shuff’s AK clients, posted on another forum. The guy was getting the scout scope zeroed at the local range for a hunt on Kodiak Isl.:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1276.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Adams View Post
    The ultimate Alaskan bear-stopper: a .35 Whelen Mini-G by Shuff’s Parkerizing. It’s a true “carbine”-length M1 (16.1” Criterion barrel).

Pic below is from one of Shuff’s AK clients, posted on another forum. The guy was getting the scout scope zeroed at the local range for a hunt on Kodiak Isl.:
    Great caliber!! A friend built a .35 Whelen from a 98 Mauser I gave him. It has been successful on three African trips.

EdZ

Boolit Buddy
    6.5 Swede. I am on the Criterion waiting list. Close to the original .276 Pedersen.

Boolit Master
    In 1959 I trained with the M1 & BAR. In 1961 the Marines had the M14, but the ammo at first wasn’t as accurate - I dropped from Expert to Sharpshooter. The M15 was supposed to be a heavy barrel version, so it could replace the BAR, but it never came out. The first shot on full auto with the M14 was on target, all the rest in the burst were up in the air. I tried to run a live-fire exercise at Quantico as a BAR-man, and a Major CMH-winner told me I was the worst BAR-man he had ever seen. I knew it already, because the BAR weighs 18 pounds, fires from an open bolt, and actually felt like it was crawling away from me. The bursts were finely controllable. A full-auto Garand would be no better than the M1.
    I have acquired 2 Garands from the CMP, and an M1A. I will say the caliber discussion is interesting.
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

Boolit Buddy

At one time i think the US Navy modified some Grands to 308.Years a go a gunsmith in Florida made match Grands in 308 and they shot extremally well in high power matches. I Think his name was Ray Kerbs and he lived on Florida's east cost.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    The M1 Garand was originally designed for the .276 Pedersen if you want to be truly original. The Navy later issued them as 308 with inserts.[...]
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
    They’re both US military rounds, and one of the services, Navy, used M-1’s in .308. [...]
    Quote Originally Posted by EdZ KG6UTS View Post
    I have both calibers. The 30-06 is a 1953 H&R, .308 is a 1943 Springfield modified by the Navy in 1964. [...]
    Quote Originally Posted by old turtle View Post
    At one time i think the US Navy modified some Grands to 308. [...]
    Yes; it has been confirmed.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by M1fuzz View Post
    6.5 Swede. I am on the Criterion waiting list. Close to the original .276 Pedersen.
    Mine is a 1906 Carl Gustaf, like shooting a Steinway ~8^)

EdZ
    Borrego Springs CA

Boolit Buddy
    All my Garands are '06. All my M14 style rifles are .308. All my 1911s are .45.

Navy boot camp '71 we shot the M1 with '06 ammo and 1911s in .45. The only time I shot Uncle Sam's guns.

On board ship were M14s in .308 and 1911s in .45 for 1/4 Deck Watch (payday?) and lots of other stuff, never saw any M1s...I was never invited into the GunnersMate's hideout. We used cable cutters that were checked out and in, so I got to peek now and then.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Adams View Post

Mr. Adams: Nice rifle! Can you give us some more details? I'm "working" on a scoped Garand and see some great ideas in your pic.

What mount is that? I've got an Amega Range M1 Garand Sc...Lighter Version.

What rings and height? I like the looks of the Vortex Pro Series rings but don't know of the height yet. The scope in the pic. looks high, can he use the irons under the scope?

Cheek piece? Is that a LH set-up?

Did he get his bear?

This is my attempt at a T20 experimental select fire box magazine Garand [without the fun switch of course]. Started out as a Ruger mini 14 223, rebarreled to a 300blkout with a Garand barrel’s profile. I eventually upped it to 300ham’r to get a larger case. It has the oddest muzzle break.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0161.jpeg 
Views:	5 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	314327
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 05-24-2023 at 12:16 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234