Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Garand caliber choice?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    Grand in 30-06, M1a in 308, IMHO.
    To me this answers your question.

Boolit Grand Master

The M1 Garand was originally designed for the .276 Pedersen if you want to be truly original. The Navy later issued them as 308 with inserts. The insert was problematic. The 308 chambering was not.

https://m1-garand-rifle.com/history/early-designs.html

https://www.americanrifleman.org/con...garand-rifles/

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/nav...nd-conversion/

https://www.thearmorylife.com/276-pe...-other-garand/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.276_P...n-bloc%20clips.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-27-2023 at 01:08 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    If one will be doing a lot of shooting, the 308 is the way to go. If not, then what ever it will function with; so if in 30-06 it will serve quite well. The Garand tosses cases that need to be recovered if you reload. 308 cases are more plentiful and loaded ammo can often be found a little cheaper. I think that the 30-06 with its taper works better under combat conditions relative to grime and crude getting in the chamber.
    Last edited by barnetmill; 01-27-2023 at 10:24 AM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Bub
    Bought one of the Criterion barrels in 6.5 swede when they were first offered. Slowly getting it built up into a rifle. Have other garands in 30-06 and 308. Built one in 7mm-08 a few years back (did some trading from a friend that had the barrel). Have a tanker barrel in .270 that will be used in a future project as well. I find it an interesting hobby with all of the different calibers that the garand can be made into.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Paf View Post
    Bought one of the Criterion barrels in 6.5 swede when they were first offered. Slowly getting it built up into a rifle. Have other garands in 30-06 and 308. Built one in 7mm-08 a few years back (did some trading from a friend that had the barrel). Have a tanker barrel in .270 that will be used in a future project as well. I find it an interesting hobby with all of the different calibers that the garand can be made into.
    Some years ago there was someone making magazine fed garands in 338 Win mag and 458 Win mag.

Boolit Master
    kinda like putting a 283 in a 67 corvette. it dosen't belong.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    kinda like putting a 283 in a 67 corvette. it dosen't belong.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    Outside the box, but how about the 6.5x55 Swede. Bought my first Swede 1896 last year. A very neat rifle and round. Criterion lists barrels, oos but are offering a waiting list so I’m guessing at some point they’re going to make more. I might be interested in one. Should be a sweetheart in a M1.
    I had no idea the Swede was even a possibility here. It's my favorite deer hunting cartridge. I think I have a new project now!

If you're bound and determined to shoot .308, you might consider getting a M1A.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

They’re both US military rounds, and one of the services, Navy, used M-1’s in .308.

Less powder, easy to get cartridge cases, and less recoil.

I see no drawback to a .308 Garand.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    The .308 is rather fun to use , not any problems I've seen . Choose the aught six so the purists will be happy .... or not

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Buddy
    If these were chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, i bet they would sell a lot of them......

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechbum444 View Post
    If these were chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, i bet they would sell a lot of them......
    I think the port pressure would be high, but there custom parts for Garand gas system that could handle that.
    I would stick to mauser military type rounds that are not so different from the 308 and 30-06.

M1 Garand = 30-06

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    I think the port pressure would be high, but there custom parts for Garand gas system that could handle that.
    I would stick to mauser military type rounds that are not so different from the 308 and 30-06.
    High port pressure is a function of slower powders. The 6.5CM is a 22-250 based cartridge with the corresponding small case volume so slow powders are not a good choice. Gas ports are also sized for the selected cartridge. The 6.5CM case is shorter than the 308 so that might be an issue in the Garand.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-27-2023 at 10:19 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    port pressure in the garand

From some of the loads I have run through a garand 308 /3006 / 35 Whelen

then using that Data (Gordon'd reloading tool) GRT with different bullets/ powder / Calibers( cast and jacketed) they run from the low end
    5000 psi not or just barley moving the oprod to Jacketed loads at app 10000 psi at the gas port

the gas port is app 22 1/2 down the barrel on a M1 Garand

the M1A is app 11 inch down the barrel

Use the right powder and do not hot rod it and it works with no problems

I have used 2400 powder and 200g cast and it acts like a straight pull

i have used 158g FMJ pistol bullets in the 35 Whelen and its Full function ....... it acts just like a 06 same recoil just bigger holes

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    High port pressure is a function of slower powders. The 6.5CM is a 22-250 based cartridge with the corresponding small case volume so slow powders are not a good choice. Gas ports are also sized for the selected cartridge. The 6.5CM case is shorter than the 308 so that might be an issue in the Garand.
    While I assumed the parent case was the 308, I had never looked it up, but off hand the 22-250 is a very short case. The 6.5 CM Case length: 1.920 in (48.8 mm). So I looked it up and a google hit says: Parent case: .30 TC.
    But you may be correct in that the orignal parent case is the 22-250 that has a Case length: 1.912 in (48.6 mm) that is about the the case length of the two above cartridges.
    But none of that tells us what the port pressures will be.

Boolit Grand Master

Dennis DeMille's original 6.5 was based on the 250 Savage. When Hornady took over they stated the 30 TC parent case was a shorten 308 mostly due to marketing appeal. The 240NMC and the 6mm XC are the same class cartridge from the 22-250 and were direct competition.

In the early days of the 6.5 CM most competitors formed brass from Lapua 22-250 brass. The neck was .025" short but brass quality was much better than the limited available 6.5 CM Hornady.

https://rifleshooter.com/2015/11/lap...-22-250-brass/
    The 6.5 Creedmoor uses the 250 Savage as its parent case. Lapua doesn’t make 250 Savage brass, but they do make 22-250 Remington brass (which uses the 250 Savage as its parent case) that I happen to have on hand. Note: some shooter prefer to form 6.5 Creedmoor brass from 308 or 243 Winchester cases.

End result whether formed from 22-250, 250 Savage or a 308 based case the 6.5CM ends up as a 250 Savage length case. The case length would be my primary concern for functioning in the Garand?? The 6.5 CM works well in M1A's & AR10's but they started as a 308 not a 30/06. The 308 functions perfectly in the Garand but how short is too short?

At some point short cases become an issue. The only firsthand experience I have is with 308 lengths bolt guns. Most have no issues feeding 22-250 length cases but most do not tolerate 6mm BR length cases.

My two M1 Garands are in 30/06 but I have barreled around 8 in 308. I do find the 35 Whelens and the 458 Win Mags interesting.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-28-2023 at 01:25 AM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Dennis DeMille's original 6.5 was based on the 250 Savage. When Hornady took over they stated the 30 TC parent case was a shorten 308 mostly due to marketing appeal. The 240NMC and the 6mm XC are the same class cartridge from the 22-250 and were direct competition.

In the early days of the 6.5 CM most competitors formed brass from Lapua 22-250 brass. The neck was .025" short but brass quality was much better than the limited available 6.5 CM Hornady.

https://rifleshooter.com/2015/11/lap...-22-250-brass/
    The 6.5 Creedmoor uses the 250 Savage as its parent case. Lapua doesn’t make 250 Savage brass, but they do make 22-250 Remington brass (which uses the 250 Savage as its parent case) that I happen to have on hand. Note: some shooter prefer to form 6.5 Creedmoor brass from 308 or 243 Winchester cases.

End result whether formed from 22-250, 250 Savage or a 308 based case the 6.5CM ends up as a 250 Savage length case. The case length would be my primary concern for functioning in the Garand?? The 6.5 CM works well in M1A's & AR10's but they started as a 308 not a 30/06. The 308 functions perfectly in the Garand but how short is too short?

At some point short cases become an issue. The only firsthand experience I have is with 308 lengths bolt guns. Most have no issues feeding 22-250 length cases but most do not tolerate 6mm BR length cases.

My two M1 Garands are in 30/06 but I have barreled around 8 in 308. I do find the 35 Whelens and the 458 Win Mags interesting.
    I have a Herter's J9 from the old Herter's that was an interarms standard action in 22-250. The magazine is too long for the 22-250, but if one is only going put one or two in the magazine it works well enough. I have not fired it in years. Other than the magazine, it is an excellent commercial standard grade mauser 98 that is one of many guns that I need to get around to selling.

Boolit Buddy
    Personally I’d go 308 in this day and age, there are a lot more choices for factory match and plinking loads plus on the reloading side it uses less powder to achieve the same thing, and with reloading components like they are today saving costs somewhere will help. Why i prodomantly shoot 223 these days.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast