WidenersLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Garand caliber choice?

Boolit Bub

Garand caliber choice?

Lately I've been really wanting to own a Garand but I'm not sure whether to choose the .308 which I have dies brass etc to support or just to go all original 30-06.
    I'm not interested in competing with it but will enjoy developing loads for it to find out how well it can shoot.
    Will the 30-06 clips function for the .308 or are they modified to work?
    I'd value everyone's input since this is totally new territory for me. Thanks.

Boolit Master

I had my 2nd SA re-barreled by CMP to 308 (bought the criterion barrel from them as well).
    Now, CMP offers expert grade which can be 308 already, much cheaper route than I did.
    No need to modify anything other than not hot-rodding your loads
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Buddy
    I've build two .308 Garands and both shoot and function just fine. The en bloc clips work well with .308. Some people say that a spacer is needed but I've never used one and have had no issues. For load work up still keep in mind the need to select powders that give the proper pressure curves just like you would for .30/06 Garand loads.

Boolit Buddy
    For me, a Garand has to be 30-06. Anything else is just a "modified" Garand...ymmv

Boolit Grand Master

I would agree with sticking to the 30-06 if it is one. Keep it as is. If you want one in 308 buy one outright.
    I would think selling a 30-06 Garand there are 5-1 better sales.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

jmho - 30.06 -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

I'd go with the .30-06.
    Dies & brass is not that big of a obstacle to over come.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 5090SS View Post
    Lately I've been really wanting to own a Garand but I'm not sure whether to choose the .308 which I have dies brass etc to support or just to go all original 30-06.
    I'm not interested in competing with it but will enjoy developing loads for it to find out how well it can shoot.
    I have M1 Garands, and to me "the only!" calibre is .30-'06. Somehow, I have it stuck in my craw that any/all "genuine" M1 Garands -- like ALL employed during WWII -- were/are in this calibre. I will add a note you may wish to file away: To wit, it is NOT recommended or advisable to use ANY ammunition in a .30-'06 Garand other than loads specifically for use in this firearm. Too hefty a load will bend the operating rod; and -- I'm NOT any sort of a gunsmith -- have heard quite a few horror story from those using NOT-Garand loads. I have no idea whatever re loading the those in the .308 -- e.g., if this is an issue. Two fellows in hi-power league do have theirs in .308, and profess the recoil is less.
    Anyhoos -- again, I'd for the '06 calibres; and, if you go this route, do some reading on loads specifically for the Garand.
    BEST!
    geo

Boolit Grand Master

I rebarreled both my garands to 308/7.62 x 51 nato. Used douglas med heavy barrels 1-10 twist 4 groove. Both shoot, feed and function great.
    If you decide to do this conversion do the front hand guard and front end mods while its all apart.
    I do not recommend the sleeve insert for this modification. Even when installed with locktite they can and do pullout,they also make for a very long throat.

Boolit Master

I have built 4 so far, all /06, I have one more receiver and a new 308 barrel that is going to be put on it. My vote is for what ever trips your switch!

Boolit Master
    OK: mine is 30-06. but the question that i have is; why would anyone want one in 308???????

I seem to remember Springfield Armory offering M1 Garands in 25-06 and .270 in the 1980s…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a couple Garands in 308 Win. And one modified for M14 magazines. Both joy to shoot.

Boolit Master
    In regard to the magazine well block remark above, yes they will work just fine in .308 without the block. The problem lies when and if someone places the loaded 30-06 en-bloc and releases the Op-Rod and round hits throat, extractor goes over rim and firing pin inertia smacks an out of battery round. Firing pin has not reached the retraction bridge, your stuff, your call.

Boolit Grand Master

They have been done in 458 Win. Mag.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...in-mag-garand/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    30-06. Think about watching those large cases fly...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    They have been done in 458 Win. Mag.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...in-mag-garand/
    Could you imagine someone rattling that one off at you on the battlefield?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outside the box, but how about the 6.5x55 Swede. Bought my first Swede 1896 last year. A very neat rifle and round. Criterion lists barrels, oos but are offering a waiting list so I’m guessing at some point they’re going to make more. I might be interested in one. Should be a sweetheart in a M1.

Boolit Master
    I have several M1 Garands

308 Pro = same bullets as 3006 uses less Powder
    cast and jacketed More fun if you are shooting lots of rounds (cast 165-170)
    if throat a bit worn cast 311299 or 312299 206g+-

3006 uses more powder
    cast and jacketed higher recoil

I have one in 35 Whelen
    cast and jacketed
    shoot it as a plinker using 158 jacketed pistol bullets
    First time I shot it was Lying Prone 230g.... Cast 50 Rounds Put a major bruise on my shoulder ( they were Not even at max for cast)
    and I shot it right after some cast 311299- in a 06

You can also get them in other calibers

I think 358 win would be perfect
    Steel but plate hurts

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 5090SS View Post
    Grand in 30-06, M1a in 308, IMHO.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast