RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ISO New dual use rifle

Boolit Master
    32-20…

Boolit Master
    Quite a few choices if you didn't need commercial loads. Mine is a 6BR.

There is the 6mm Creedmore. Don't know if any commercial are SR. There is more of that on the shelves now than .357mag. 6.5 is even easier to find and some of those are SR.

.223 with a 1:8 twist (for the 80gn bullets) would be a good choice.

I also agree about the small rifle/pistol standard. Once I find some SR brass for my .308 I'll be all set.

Boolit Grand Master
    A CZ 527 in 223 would pretty much hit all the op's points: manual operation, SR primed, factory ammo readily available, amply accurate for 200 yard shots. While there are other choices out there--the Ruger American is cheap and pretty nice, for one--the CZ pretty much rules if you want a decent, wooden stocked rifle. I have a carbine with an 18.5 inch Carbine that weighs only about 6 and 1/2 pounds scoped, which makes for easier carrying when humping up and down mountains. The only fly in the ointment is that the 527's have been discontinued in favor of the 600 series, but I have seen a couple at gun shows.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 01-26-2023 at 10:03 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    32-20…
    The original 300 Whisper.

Not sure a 223 will have enough "punch" left at 200 yards, but they work very nice to 125 (personal longest DRT shot with one on deer). I could make it work if I needed to, but really want something with more legs so to speak.

Boolit Grand Master

Smaller rifle primer are harder to find in this area. Your small rifle should be easy to trade for large rifle so I would go for the cartridge I want irrespective to primer size.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hwooldridge View Post
    32-20…
    Last edited by ulav8r; 01-27-2023 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Tried to make it all caps
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Another choice would be a 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Creedmoor and use small primer brass. Not to hijack, but you are correct, LRP’s are definitely the scarcest.

Boolit Master
    I haven't seen any LR primers for over 2 years now. Lots of SR and SP showing up.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Smaller rifle primer are harder to find in this area. Your small rifle should be easy to trade for large rifle so I would go for the cartridge I want irrespective to primer size.
    Midway does sell large rifle primers on a notify basis when they come into stock. I have only purchased small rifle primers and shotgun primers since that was what I needed. Also primers are starting to become more available these days, but the prices are still high.
    A 6.5 grendel or 7.62x39 are rounds when used in an accurate rifle would do all that you need to 200 yards and a little further. The steel case 7.62x39 while it has increased in price is still the cheapest center fire out there. Latest prices delivered are 41 cents per round instead of 23 cents. But these days 10 cent primers, $40-60/ lb powder and then the cost of the bullet means reloading is not longer super cheap. If you cast you can save some money here, but the value of your time needs to be figured.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    He is correct. Easy to trade SRP for LRP in many areas. Opens up a lot of good choices.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    223 is commonly used for long range competition out to 600 yards, the Army qualifies out to 300 yards with it, and lots of people varmint shoot with it. Whatever deer or coyote it touches at 200 yards is a done deal, s long as you don’t shoot them in the rump.

Boolit Buddy
    A CZ 527 in 6.5 Grendel would be awesome for those requirements. The downside is the horrific prices that are currently being paid for 527's on Gunbroker. I finally saw a new CZ 600 in the rack. I'm glad I already own 550s, 452s and 527's. Its real sad to see CZ go the way of American Manufacturers racing to make the crappiest, injection molded, sintered metal "guns" that people will still pay money for. I'm sure the new CZ 600's shoot ok, but the workmanship and build quality between new and old is night and day. Sad.

Boolit Bub
    Found a Howa mini 6.5 Grendel in stock locally and picked it up yesterday. Looking at a CZ bottom metal conversion, and other mild upgrades to it. Thank for all the help and input. Will be sharing results and impressions as I have time to get everything all together.j
    Last edited by Redleg11b; 01-30-2023 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Add cartridge info

Boolit Master

Nice choice on the 6.5G.
    Got into it since I already load 7.62x39 (resize & fireform).
    I have both type 1 & type 2 in AR platform & they both shoot flat & accurate.
    I push them to my velocity so I don’t cast for ‘em.
    XBR is the powder of choice but a lot of other choices too including projectile weight from 85g to 129g
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redleg11b View Post
    Found a Howa mini in stock locally and picked it up yesterday. Looking at a CZ bottom metal conversion, and other mild upgrades to it. Thank for all the help and input. Will be sharing results and impressions as I have time to get everything all together.
    Excellent choice! I have one about 30 years old that was rebarrelled to .257 Roberts and love it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you can find some 123gr. Hornady SST's, either bullets or ammo, you will have some good rounds for deer hunting. I load 90gr Speer HP and 95 vmax for my 6.5Gr. I have some AA and Starline brass for the 6.5Gr, but have formed numerous rounds from x39 brass too.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redleg11b View Post
    Found a Howa mini in stock locally and picked it up yesterday. Looking at a CZ bottom metal conversion, and other mild upgrades to it. Thank for all the help and input. Will be sharing results and impressions as I have time to get everything all together.
    What caliber is it? If 7.62x39, then it should be a dandy with cast. I bet the RCBS 30-150-FN would work great and my mold drops 'em fat. Would be happy to share some, just let me know.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12