WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ISO New dual use rifle

Boolit Bub

ISO New dual use rifle

Update: picked up a Howa 6.5 Grendel

Requirements: .224 or larger bullet, small rifle primer, factory ammo (no wildcat), rifle to be about 6.5 lbs or less, threaded barrel.

Will see most use at the range, some varmint shooting, and will be my mountain stalking rifle for deer (shots to 200 yards). I have used a .223 Rem before and found it adequate though not ideal. I would not feel unprepared with something in this chambering, but have been looking at the 6.5 Grendel as an option. Any thoughts on something different?
    Last edited by Redleg11b; 01-30-2023 at 11:42 AM.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    With SR primer, not much to choose from. The .350 Legend sounds like a good choice and uses SR primers. In any event, it's one of a few calibers that are reasonably available.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Right, the small primer requirement creates a real brain tickler. I would look into the 6.5 Grendel, looks like some pretty good ballistics with that one. Of course the 7.62x39 is another commonly available cartridge or the .300 Black out.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Boolit Bub
    I had also thought of a 300 Ham'r, but don't know of any bolt guns chambered for it.

Boolit Master
    I say Ruger Ranch in 7.62x39. Short, Light and Threaded barrel. Hornady Ammunition uses small rifle primers. R-P brass uses small rifle primers but it's hard to find.

Boolit Bub
    I hadn't thought much about the 350L. I did have a 7.62 RAR a while back. It was nice, but the majority of the ammo is LRP.

Just curious, you say factory ammo so why the small rifle primer requirements.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Just curious, you say factory ammo so why the small rifle primer requirements.
    I plan to reload and have a stock of SRP, but no LRP. I also want something that I can resupply at a store or online order if needed. I don't always have time to load, but like to shoot. I can then use that brass to fortify whatever else I have been able to acquire.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redleg11b View Post
    I plan to reload and have a stock of SRP, but no LRP. I also want something that I can resupply at a store or online order if needed. I don't always have time to load, but like to shoot. I can then use that brass to fortify whatever else I have been able to acquire.
    That's a good strategy these days. FYI, most low to mid-range rifle loads will work just fine with LP primers. Of course, be cautious and work your way up. I use them exclusively in .45-70, they are more accurate with my pistol powder loads.

7.62x39 is a good cartridge, but unless you want an AK/SKS or are already set up with it I would pass. Cheap steel case ammo dried up quite awhile ago and I doubt it will return anytime soon. One of the biggest advantages of that stuff was you could pull the FMJ bullet and replace it with a soft point for cheap hunting ammo. Brass case hunting loads for this one are few and far between.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

6mm ARC, 6mm GT? The 6 GT is bigger, and still compact. Both have small primer from what I have seen in brass I have on shelf.
    I also thought Starline, and perhaps some Commercially loaded Ammo for the Creedmoor uses small primers. So, Perhaps the 6.5 CM is an option.

Boolit Master

I think I remember some 6.5 Creedmoor brass is small primer, but my rememberer is getting rusty lately.
    Take care,
    Rick

Boolit Master
    I know you don't want a wildcat round, but it's just about the only way I know of to meet the SRP requirement. I think I'D find a used or even shot-out .223 bolt action and get it rebarreled to 6x45 mm or 6x47 mm, and spend a little time at the reloading bench. If you want a gas-auto, the 6x45 mm should work in a Mini-14 or AR-whatever rifle.
    You can't drive out to Wally World and buy ammo for it, but neither can one do that with .223, now.
    Beyond that, there's always a good .243 Win. bolt action, which is more expensive for range-play, but will effectively reach out to twice the range at which you contemplate doing the most shooting. At the end of the day, spending more than minimal time at the range usually translates to similar time at a reloading bench.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

A lightweight bolt action 6.8 SPC would work fine and most brass is SP.
    But it would have to be custom, no one makes one.
    I’d stick with the .223 for the parameters in the OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    what texas by god says. ive found 6.8spc to be an outstanding round. I dont cast bullets for it. .270 bullets are plentiful. with a 90 grain soft point it will do most anything you want.very flat shooting round. but 115's also shoot very well in it too. get a few pounds of AA2200 and you'll be all set.
    I put together a little 6.8ar and I dont think the thing weighs even 5.5lbs.
    300 HAMR is a very interesting round but in a bolt action would probably be a custom order

Boolit Bub
    At this point a 6.8 bolt gun (current requirement of a manually operated action for deer here in PA) is not going to be as easy to find as a Grendel or 350L. Will look around and see what pops up though. I hadn't actually thought of that one.

Thank you all for the insights.

Cancel the 7.62x39, all the brass, brass uses LRP.

Given the requirements, I would go with a .223/5.56x45NATO. It's plentiful, cheap, SRP, will kill a deer, available in short light, even mini bolt guns, cheap to reload, what's not to like? The Ruger American ''Ranch'' rifle comes with a threaded barrel and looks like a 10 shot detachable box magazine, and a rail for scope mounting. Looks like a ''Timex'' rifle, ''Takes a licki'n and keeps on ticki'n''.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Boolit Master
    Lapua makes 6.5 CM brass that uses small rifle primers.

Boolit Master
    350 L would be just fine. Any bolt action would fit the bill or can go with an ar15 set up. Small rifle primer and good hunting gun out to 200yd and rings steel nice. Light on powder for reloading and cheap projectiles. Ammo is 12=15 a box of 20.

Other option is 300 blackout, Savage makes a bolt, so does Ruger. Both rounds are kinda a 223 case modded to two different size bullets. One 308 the other 356 ish. Both have basically no kick what so ever. Ammo for 300 is going to be 17=25 per 20.

Since you are thinking ahead some research to see what one reloads well with a powder you can get your hands on easy.

I have no clue about 6.5G. I know I have never seen one box of ammo on a shelf in my area. Not sure any of this helps but good luck with whatever you decide.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    very true, 6.5 Creedmoor is another great round, talk about super accurate, the bergara I traded into will shoot 1" or smaller groups all day long right out of the box with starline brass, blemished bullets, both 140 grain and 143 grain at about 2600-2650 fps with h4350. not sure about the weight with a scope on it.
    too bad your all the way in PA I would trade some large rifle primers for small rifle.
    if you had lg rifle primers your options open up. 22-250 could get you some fun target time and can rip both lungs out of any deer you encounter while also being an outstanding varmint round

I have an AR in 6.5 Grendel. It's supper accurate.
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast