WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High velocity.22lr ammo

Boolit Master
    The years pass and with any luck inquiring minds will learn something along the way. I have been blessed in that regard and my rimfires shoot well. The only gun I have that prefers HV ammo is an ancient 10/22 which prefers WW Powder Point ammo. I will not bother posting pics, but the Ruger shoots 5 shots into a ragged hole at 50 yards, and a wee bit under 1/2 MOA at 100 yards. It does nearly as well with a variety of Euro production SV ammo.

My .22 LR bolt guns dote on Wolf MT/SK Standard+, as does my Contender Carbine which recently put 5 rounds into a .091" group at 50 yards.

I have another TC Carbine chambered in .22 Short which will put 5 CB Shorts in one ragged hole at 25 yards. Hogs hate that gun.

Lastly, I undertook an experiment awhile back wherein I purchased some LR brass configured for CF priming, and it too will make wee little groups, some running ~1/2" at 50 yds. So, it comes to pass that my .22's are boring.

One of the curious things discovered with the .22 CF project during ammo breakdown relates to the quality of priming in factory RF ammo. For the most part, American production ammo is pure junk insofar as QC is concerned. Yes, they fire, but the curiosity is the degree of which priming compound is smear inside the case walls, sometimes all the way up to the bullet base. Conversely, the Euro production samples that I disassembled looks like the priming is surgically implanted. It explains, at least to me, why American production ammo tends to have larger extreme spreads of velocity than Euro ammo...every time.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Master
    Any 22 is a law unto itself when it comes to ammo. Years ago there was a fellow at the range with a fully tricked out Ruger 10-22. Bull barrel, tunes trigger, high quality scope etc that he had put about $1000 into. He was testing ammo and had a selection of various match grades and even some CCI SV. It was an eye opener, some of the match shot one holers at 25 yards and other match grade didn't do well at all. In fact some of the match grade was worse than the CCI SV. Even my "sportized" old Rem 513T shows definite preferences between brands and in both SV and HV, with SV the clear winner.

Yep, the reason Federal went to the dimple base and spun priming on their hand made Olympic ammo. I still have three bricks of it, last I heard it was $100 a box of 50. People and 22s searching for consistent match accuracy at distance get a wee bit out of hand at times.
    Used to communicate with the 22 BR folks at Precision Shooting magazine. A crazy bunch in the pursuit of 22 rimfire accuracy for sure.

All 22 rimfire accuracy nuts have a rim gauge. Just a tool to help consistency. But shooting small bore distance competition is capable of some real frustration, flack, where did that go.....
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

I used to use HV ammo in my Remington 512 for silhouette. I cleaned out all the trophies! I could do head shots at 100yds with the stuff. Then they went Olympic and extended the range to 100m. End of my silhouette career. Groups went from minute of ram head to minute of pie plate! Small pie plate but you get what I mean. It appears that my rifle with ist's worn muzzle and the HV boolit, was going through the transonic zone closer to 100yds and by 100m, it was a shotgun pattern. I can't retest it because I took the trumpet muzzle off and restored the rifle's accuracy. But the point is, it shot those HVs well enough out to 100yds.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Mold
    Every 22 rimfire I have ever owned, and its been a lot of them, has shot better with standard velocity ammo than with High velocity. However, the only 22 I will use high velocity ammo in is my 22 auto pistol used for summer carry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12