RepackboxWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High velocity.22lr ammo

High velocity.22lr ammo

Usually shy away from this stuff but when I go into a gunshop I always try to buy something out of respect for peoples time so it's usually a lil box of .22lr. Picked two boxes of HV ove the last few weeks along with my usual CCI standard and decided to do a little test them while I was doing to data validation the other day. Must say I'm pretty impressed
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master

Your results are better than mine with HV. I have learned to stick with standard velocity stuff for my rifles. Nice group and good testing. Guns definitely have their own preferences when it comes to ammo.

two of my Remington 513 matchmasters actually perform better with Federal HV bulk than with several different brands of premium SV -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    High velocity is Not for all occasions... Any high velocity 22 in some of my guns...certainly the H&R 9 shot, are Too Hot...Hard extraction, malfunctions in semi auto's etc.. but, some, like the Standard model Ruger..and Absolutely, a Rem Nylon .22, Only function properly with High Velocity fodder.. I keep some of about all...including some Shorts!!!

Boolit Master

I have tested both and Hi velocity does not shoot as well as standard velocity (40gr) in my Mossberg model46B bolt action.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Grand Master

Testing rimfire ammunition for accuracy tends to be an exercise in frustration. You will find the specific firearms have specific preferences that have no rhyme or reason. That type of testing is fun. The frustration comes in lot-to-lot variations. One lot will shoot great and one lot not so much. High level competitors will purchase large quantities of specific lots once they find one that they like. Places that sell higher end target ammo sell sorted by lots. When Champions Shooters Supply was around they would sell sample packs of various lots. Standard velocity 22 is thought to have the accuracy edge but some HV shoots superbly.

Even some to the firearms general preference defy logic. I have a Ruger 77/22 that is an average to below average shooter unless you shoot Eley Ten X or Winchester Wildcat HV. Winchester Wildcat HV generally doesn't shoot well in anything?????? but that rifle loves it.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/threa...tency.1207053/

https://eley.co.uk/find-the-perfect-...-lot-analyser/

https://forum.accurateshooter.com/th...upply.3990144/
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-26-2023 at 09:21 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Testing rimfire ammunition for accuracy tends to be an exercise in frustration. You will find the specific firearms have specific preferences that have no rhyme or reason. That type of testing is fun. The frustration comes in lot-to-lot variations. One lot will shoot great and one lot not so much. High level competitors will purchase large quantities of specific lots once they find one that they like. Places that sell higher end target ammo sell sorted by lots. When Champions Shooters Supply was around they would sell sample packs of various lots. Standard velocity 22 is thought to have the accuracy edge but some HV shooters superbly.

Even some to the firearms general preference defy logic. I have a Ruger 77/22 that is an average to below average shooter unless you shoot Eley Ten X or Winchester Wildcat HV. Winchester Wildcat HV generally doesn't shoot well in anything?????? but that rifle loves it.

Thanks for the suggestion...My 10-22 can be a Bugger!!!maybe I need to re-think that Ruger??

Boolit Master
    yep ever ones different just because its match ammo and costs more doesnt mean its the most accurate
    proved that before test everything you can find

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion...My 10-22 can be a Bugger!!!maybe I need to re-think that Ruger??
    Put a Kidd trigger in it and a good aftermarket target barrel you will have a good start.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

That is the thing with 22 ammo is that need to see what will work if your use it for long distance ,what I mean is 20yrds or more. Short it dose not matter. Like I use for dispatch animals in the trap. I am lucky if I am 5 yards away, some are up close so it works for me what ever ammo I use. But like stated otherwise the gun have its own mind and see what it likes the best.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

I find that my semi autos, especially the pocket handguns function much better with High or Hyper velocity ammo.

Boolit Master
    my 1022 likes faster 22lr but hyper stuff is like a shotgun pattern.win power point and cci mini mags 36g are its favourite.

Sell the 10/22 and get a Marlin. (dons Nomex fire suit).
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

The most accurate in my 10-22s (stock Rugers) have always been the CCI MiniMag HPS or the Remington Yellow jackets. Both hold 1" at 75 yards (zero range). However, with the suppressed 10-22 the current CCI "match" and subsonic loads are also accurate and function reliably. The "hypers" never did well in any of my 22LRs, semi, bot or SS. The Winchester and Federal Bulk HV HPs also function very reliably with very good accuracy in my AR w/12" twist barrel using the M261 device.

The Remington M504 and Remington M37 Match rifles are very "picky" about what they will shoot the best. As mentioned, there is considerable lot to lot variation as to accuracy with both rifles. Many times it's hard to tell at 50 yards any real difference with both rifles. However, at 100 yards, especially with the M37, the difference in accuracy between different lots of the same ammunition can be considerable.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Testing rimfire ammunition for accuracy tends to be an exercise in frustration. You will find the specific firearms have specific preferences that have no rhyme or reason. That type of testing is fun. The frustration comes in lot-to-lot variations. One lot will shoot great and one lot not so much. High level competitors will purchase large quantities of specific lots once they find one that they like. Places that sell higher end target ammo sell sorted by lots. When Champions Shooters Supply was around they would sell sample packs of various lots. Standard velocity 22 is thought to have the accuracy edge but some HV shoots superbly.

Amen to this post! I have a Ruger Mk1 that I picked up used a few years ago. First tried it with Armscor standard velocity and it literally shot a plate sized "pattern" at 25 yds (around 6" circle). Needless to say, I was very discouraged since that was the first time I'd shot the pistol - but I had a box of Federal sitting around so I loaded a clip and tried that. Was pleasantly surprised when the group immediately dropped to about an inch - and that was without cleaning. I didn't quite believe it, so I went back to the Armscor and tried again - and got the same results. Back to Federal, groups shrank same as the previous time. I can't explain why this much difference exists at such a relatively short distance.

Boolit Buddy
    ...unless you shoot Eley Ten X or Winchester Wildcat HV.
    Well, that makes sense. I think most Olympians use those two interchangeably.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckJaxFL View Post
    Well, that makes sense. I think most Olympians use those two interchangeably.
    It makes more sense when you include the complete quote.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    I tested some SK High Velocity Match ammo. It shot amazingly well. Not as good as Match standard velocity, but far better than any other high velocity 22 I have shot. I may use it for 100 yard mini palma on windy days. I have two boxes of Lapua Scoremax left. Its a 48 grain bullet. I've shot inch groups at 200 with this ammo out of my FWB 2600. Unfortunately, its no longer made. Its an awesome load for windy days.

Boolit Buddy
    It makes more sense when you include the complete quote.
    Yeah, but it's not funny that way.

I'm with the ".22 is a weird world" crowd. My father shoots a 522. He kept telling me he was out of Thunderbolts, and that it bummed him out, as the gun "likes them". I sent him some of my stash, a bunch of different stuff. He tried them, but wasn't really happy. He kept saying his gun likes Thunderbolts. I eventually found some online, ordered them for him. Sure enough, he sent me a picture of the groups... and they were good. Go figure.

Boolit Grand Master

Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-13-2023 at 01:30 AM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast