PBcastcoInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chickens, how many have them?

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    We have em. Just ordered more. 20 more to go with the 10 we have. Some breeds are smart, some not. Smart ones escape and roost where I dont want em to. Then lay eggs where I dont want them to. Soon they will have a bigger pen. The ones that escape go to the POT!

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    I had chickens when I was younger. I've wanted chickens since we moved out of town, but my wife was against(city girl). Well she finally gave in. I built a coop and run and have chicks that are a week old as of today. I didn't get back into them because of Eggs, I just enjoyed having chickens in the past. So I was just wondering how many here have them?
    No need. The farm across the road has 100 chickens and we get all we need for eggs and meat birds. Organic, too. The girls are on strike now but they should start back up soon.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    I don't...My Neighbor...only a mile or two, has Free Ones!!!
    They Call 'em Range Chickens or some such.. IDC... that is Nice of them to provide for this part of the Rhubarb Patch!!!

Boolit Mold
    We have a 12 or so chickens ,ducks, guineas and 8 or 9 peacocks.

Boolit Buddy
    Ten hens, one rooster. Favorite hen breed is Ameraucana. Ours are free range in our fenced in back yard. Rooster forages / calls hens when he finds a tasty morsel. He also watches out for predators.

Boolit Master
    I kept 8-10 at one time but the local fox has dwindled me down to a single hen. Hopefully, I can get some more chicks but even that is proving difficult due to the avian flu epidemic.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNapper View Post
    We bought 4 in the spring and put a coop in the back yard. More than enough eggs for the wife and I, but they're more for the wife's entertainment than anything else. She enjoys them, and they're pretty low maintenance. Even with just 4 birds we give away plenty of eggs.

The best/worst part is my habit of over-engineering everything I do. I almost had to take out a second mortgage when I built the coop. With what I spent on materials for the coop I doubt the chickens will live long enough to break even. If store-bought eggs go to $10 a dozen I might come close.
    Same boat. Solar, gable vent turns on when it's hot, automatic door open/close, water and food inside, remote light plus auto lights, solar activity lights,etc. All good
    Ron
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image0 (10).jpeg 
Views:	5 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	309786

Boolit Master

I've got 8 ISA Browns. 7 to 8 eggs a day.

The only pet that provides breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The only problem was coons pulling them through the chainlink fence piece by piece.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Buddy

we have had em for years.no pen. expect to lose a few. everything likes chicken !

i have 11, 10 hens one rooster. We are still learning but they are all healthy and happy and laying more than we can use. We lost a few to sudden death but replaced them. Some predators like possum and coon became tests for my varmint loads.
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Bub
    I run a hundred hens in four coops with roosters. I bred my own line out of of Rhode Island Red, Plymouth Rock, Red Star sex link, and Brahma's. I get eggs every day. And the roosters dress out fat and chunky. I replace my hens on a rotation of 2 years per coop. Brood Roosters every 3 years.

Boolit Master

We have 10 currently, one rooster. These are from eggs we hatched 18 Months ago - their parents have have departed via the Roaster. Getting 3 to 5 eggs this winter; coop light is on a timer coming on at 0800 and going off at 19:00.

We will be getting the incubators out late Feb or March. Will put up a sign selling chicks - maybe $5.00 per chick unsexed. Will target another 10 or so for laying hens this next fall/winter.

Fox Business this morning had throughout the morning coverage of one of their field reporters on the "RENT A CHICKEN" craze that seems to be expanding in the Suburbs. They are reporting $4.00 to $6.00 a dozen for eggs; so people are "Renting" a small coop on wheels and 4 hens. The rental period is for 6 months; at a cost of $500.00 per session, and the Renters are required to furnish feed. The 4 hens are producing about a dozen eggs per week according to the Fox reporter. .So; it was business channel but no one assessed the bottom line. Cost of rental is about $21.00 per week. Retail cost of eggs is up to $6.00 per dozen - so the Renter is only loosing $15.00 per week on the deal.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    Always enjoyed chickens, never raised any, neighbor kids have them, 4-H, county fair and such BUT they do eat little rattle snakes, and provide lots of bait for every predator out there. Raccoons, possums, fox, skunks, coyotes, red-tailed hawks, Cooper's Hawks, Golden Eagles, a few other hawks have all snacked on their chickens while the bull snakes will steal the eggs. Can't shoot the birds and try not to kill the bull snakes but do help with the raccoons, skunks and coyotes. Hear their roosters every morning when their lights go on, just entertaining. I have done the numbers, home grown eggs can be VERY expensive.

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    We have 30 hens and 2 roosters. 32 quail hens and 8 roosters. 9 rabbits and 2 dozen cows. Now if I could just find a place for that hog pen .
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    I do not use much feed at all in the summer months. I spend around 100 bucks for the entire winter months. I grow fodder from cheap seed. They get scraps from left overs. Very little chicken feed. Last we have a very large composting pile right next to the coop. They dig and peck getting bugs all winter long out of the pile. Keeps me from having to flip it to much also. I live in upstate NY and no the large compost pile does not freeze.
    I do not own sufficient land to grow anything for chickens to eat, and because of coyotes, neighbors dogs, chicken hawks, etc., letting the chickens run free range is totally out of the question.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    I do not own sufficient land to grow anything for chickens to eat, and because of coyotes, neighbors dogs, chicken hawks, etc., letting the chickens run free range is totally out of the question.
    I do understand that.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    Years ago my SIL got a brood of chickens to free range In her yard. She and her husband went out one day and came home to their dog proudly sitting on a pile of dead chickens. Suprisingly the dog survived.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master
    Just checked...
    Have about 5 chickens...all cut up in pieces in the freezer.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 375supermag View Post
    Just checked...
    Have about 5 chickens...all cut up in pieces in the freezer.
    LOL
    Well Played

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I got rid of mine a few years back cause I could buy eggs cheaper than I could raise them, looks like I'm gonna get back into raising my own now that they are $6 a dozen at WM.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast