Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Wideners

View Poll Results: How Do You Feel About Starting the "32 Retinue"?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm in, sign me up!

41 49.40%
  • Sounds interesting, I'm following along

29 34.94%
  • You're kidding, right?

3 3.61%
  • I'm a Neanderthal, nothing less than 44 for me.

1 1.20%
  • What's a 32?

9 10.84%
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Poll: The 32 Retinue

Boolit Grand Master
    Welcome in, Robert. Don't forget to stop by the 32 Retinue Group up in the Communities tab. We had an initial flush of interest, but folks aren't really participating now like I hoped they would. Maybe we can get a few folks adding to it and see whether it will bring out a few more "32-istas".

I went through a stupid phase around the early '90s when I sold off my nearly new S&W 16-4 and Buckeye Blackhawk 32 combo. I later bought a Blackhawk Stainless 327 and had a stainless K-327 custom built on a Model 66 ND. Of course 32 I frames keep following me home, but I still haven't been able to hold on to any 32 semi-autos. I did briefly own a couple of Browning 1922s over the years.

I have or have had a few 32-20s both in rifles and revolvers over the year, and although I'm all set up to load for this caliber and have a couple of 3118 moulds, for some reason I just don't seem to ever get a round tuit! Speaking of loading, I hope to find a good "standard" load in 32 S&W L, 32 H&R, and 327 Fed Mag (one each) and simplify the craziness on my bench. Maybe I can add a token 32-20 load at that time as well. It all sounded so simple to just say I've got "a 32 gun in my pocket for fun" but which 32 gun in which 32 caliber?

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

Don't know if you have any Froggie, but my Remington 23-30 eats up Herco and my Winchester copy of the Lyman 008 boolit.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I'm wondering if Ruger might be secretly planning a .32 H&R Super Wrangler. Hey, people said I was crazy for suggesting that they might bring out a convertible/adjustable sights Wrangler.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master
    I’d just like to see Ruger’s Marlin division reintroduce the Model 1894 in 32 H&R, or better yet, in 327 Fed Mag. I’m in the throes of arranging to build a Ruger #3 in 327 FM, but I just might “shift gears” and go with a “Rug-Lin” lever action repeater instead. In fact, if their R&D department asked me, I’d suggest they go back to the old 1892 pattern in 32 RF/CF that led up to the modern Model 39. With modern steels and manufacturing, it should hold at least a 32 H&R.

Wayne, I don’t think I have any Herco on hand currently. With the market status being the way it is, I doubt if I’ll try to tack any down right now. I’ll put it in my memory bank though.

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    From the dim recesses of my memory it seems like there was a discussion about the Marlin Model 92 in .32 H&R and I think the cartridge would be too long for the action. It should however be eminently doable in .32 S&W Long.

Given todays want for more power, such a rifle would probably sell well into double digits. So we probably won't be seeing them anytime soon.

I had high hopes for Uberti's copy of the No 2 Remington Rolling Block; but from what I read on the web, it seems like parts are too soft and don't hold up well.

I'm not too wild about using an original No 2 for a .32 H&R/.327 Fed or even a .32-20. Frank DeHass did not recommend the originals for use with the high powered rifle loads in .32-20. I do wish I could find my copy of his book.

I remember seeing at least one of the Buckeye Specials in .38-40 and 10mm, and possibly one of the .32 versions in the early 90's, but I was getting ready to go on Westpac and didn't have a good place to store them. They were off the market by the time I returned to CONUS.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    Robert,

Off topic a little, but the original plan for the Buckeye Specials was to release three sets in consecutive years, with the buyers having the option of getting matching serial numbers (with different prefixes). The 32 combo came first and sold pretty well. Subsequent years were to bring a 38-40/10 mm combo and a 44-40/44 Mag combo. One of these larger bores was made but not very successful in the market and the other wasn’t made for Buckeye Sports, but was made in very limited numbers and sort of stealthily released on the market. Folks over on the Ruger Forum have discussed this program in much more detail than I can recall here.

As for building “higher powered” versions of the Remington #2 Roller in 32 calibers, I agree that restraint is in order. A Winchester low wall would be a better choice for 32-20 or 32 H&R. A cast Ballard would be OK for 32–20 and 32 S&W Long. For the 327, I’d want a forged Ballard, a Winchester high wall, or my current project, a Ruger #3… the hot 327s are much too rowdy for the lesser guns, IMHO.

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    PS to last: Many years ago I had an original Marlin 1892 with interchangeable firing pins to shoot 32 LRF and 32 Long Colt. I was told at the time that it would be simple to ream the chamber to accept 32 S&W Long. Unfortunately, before I had that done, I sold it to buy the next shiny object. More’s the pity!
    Froggie

I'm starting to crave a new Charter Arms Undercoverette .32 H&R six shot. I had the old 5 shot version years ago and it was good, my Charter .38's have always been great. Might get lucky and find that it eats .32 Auto as well, meaning four different cartridges will work. I once had an H&R 732 that did great with .32 Auto, don't remember if the Undercoverette I had would work with them.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master
    FergusonTO35,

Since the 32 ACP is a semi-rimmed case with the same body diameter as the 32 S&W family, I expect them to fit and function in any revolver chambered for any of the 32 S&W family. Just to satisfy myself on this, one bright day at the range I shot both my Ruger Blackhawk stainless and my custom K frame S&W stainless chambered in 327 with sample rounds in 32 S&W, 32 ACP, 32 S&W L, 32 H&R and 327 Fed Mag. They all worked fine. I have a couple of little I frames that will probably get feedings of 32 ACP this Summer.

Froggie

Thanks. I figured that would be the case.

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, another valuable feature of having this group going is our ability to reach out within our common interest for things like brass sources. I’m currently planning on meeting a fellow member to swap 100 cases of 327 for a like number of 32-20 cases. It would appear that both are becoming “unobtainium “ now, so sometimes it is useful to move some around within the community to fill immediate needs.
    Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    Hey Green Frog, looks like tomorrow is "der tag. I should be down there about 2;00 pm.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    “That day there were two nearly identical guns for sale on the table, differing only in caliber: one in .32 Long & the other a .32-20. Both were in close to new condition & with the same bbl. length (wish they'd been 4 inchers). Priced the same, IIRC, I paid $350 for this one.”

Oh my! You got a pretty fair deal on the 32-20, but IMHO left a real treasure laying on the table. If the 32 S&W Long was also a K frame, and in that same condition, it would bring a King’s Ransom today. Those 32 S&W L chambered M&Ps are highly sought after! I have tried to curtail my gun buying at the moment, but that’s one of the very few that might tempt me to “fall off the wagon” and revert to my spendthrift ways.
    Froggie

You mean like this one? Searched a long time for this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20220913_073635 (800x600).jpg  

Don't tease the man, it's not nice.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master
    Welcome to our branch of the madness, raljr1. We’ve chatted over on the S&W Forum, so I know you’ll fit right in over here. Hopefully this will reawaken the flagging conversation we have had going on here. That 4” is like raw meat to a hungry wolf when you show it to this crowd!
    Froggie

Boolit Master
    If you’re going to do the .32s correctly, you need a Colt Bisley in .32-20
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Welcome to our branch of the madness, raljr1. We’ve chatted over on the S&W Forum, so I know you’ll fit right in over here. Hopefully this will reawaken the flagging conversation we have had going on here. That 4” is like raw meat to a hungry wolf when you show it to this crowd!
    Froggie
    I had to read that twice. The first time, I thought you said flogging.

Boolit Grand Master
    No Bill, while I’ve been known to “flog a dead equine” from to time, but I really meant “flagging”, meaning “slowing” or “weakening”. Every once in a while it behooves me to revive a seldom used word just to see whether anyone is actually reading what I type!

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    I saw a K-frame Hand Ejector 5" in 32 S&W Long the other day, but it was way out of my price range--1500 was the asking price. It was pretty nice, but not that nice. I did, however, win a 32 H&R semi auto on Go Broker and hope to have it by the end of the week. Flogging, flagging, as long as it is about a 32 of some sort, I am good with that.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master
    Who made a 32 H&R semiauto? Details, please… preferably with pictures!

BTW, that pre-War M&P in 32 S&W L is a super Avis rara, as you already know. The asking price of $1500 is no bargain, but then again, how many do you see out there? How nice is “pretty nice”?

Froggie

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast