RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Load Data

View Poll Results: How Do You Feel About Starting the "32 Retinue"?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm in, sign me up!

41 49.40%
  • Sounds interesting, I'm following along

29 34.94%
  • You're kidding, right?

3 3.61%
  • I'm a Neanderthal, nothing less than 44 for me.

1 1.20%
  • What's a 32?

9 10.84%
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: The 32 Retinue

Boolit Grand Master

The 32 Retinue

Every time a thread opens up about 32s, whether loading, different models, or any other variation on the theme, there seems to be a great deal of interest. When you go to gun shows or stores, ammo available or even guns themselves command a premium if they’re available at all.

I wonder whether it would be worthwhile to organize some sort of an interest group along the lines of of the “44 Associates” of another era. Perhaps we could call ourselves the “32 Retinue” or some such. So what do you think? I’ve bookmarked this thread since my PM box fills up so fast. I’ll respond to you via a PM if you express interest and give you my email so we can establish a list.

So, whuduyathink?
    Green Frog
    Last edited by Green Frog; 01-26-2023 at 12:34 PM.
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

You gotta love those 32's.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

I have 2 .32 revolvers and an old rolling block relined to shoot .32sw long. Count me in!
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    Couple 32's here...looking for another...
    Sure I want in

Boolit Master

It's pretty much a 32-20 deal around here ...
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master

I'm in!

I've wanted to bug you, Froggie, about your 327 Smith project anyway.

Not narrow minded about it, I'd join a 45 Auto Rim group, too.

Boolit Grand Master
    My 327 project , aka “Project 616” was the subject of a year long thread on the S&W Forum, but I’ll give you the Cliff’s Notes version. I bought a Model 617 (22 LR) barrel and cylinder from Brownell’s and Numrich respectively. I sent the barrel to Clearwater Reboring in Washington State (now no longer in business, unfortunately) and the cylinder along with a Model 66 No Dash to Andy Horvath in La Grange, OH for the rest of the work. It was necessary to use a Model 66 as the donor gun for the frame to mate up properly with the underlug Model 617 barrel. After about eight or nine months it was finished and I made a pilgrimage to La Grange to pick it up, and the rest, as they say, is history! I wrote a more thorough article about this build that was published in “The Fouling Shot” of the Cast Bullet Association.

This was neither my first nor my last 32, but it was the first time I had ever had a gun built completely for me. I’ve had a lot of 32s come and go over the last decade, but this one will always be special to me.

Froggie
    Last edited by Green Frog; 01-26-2023 at 04:16 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Could probably start one easily in the Community section here.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Thanks, Froggie. I had been familiar with most of your story, but wanted to know who did your barrel reboring. Disappointed to hear they are no longer trading. My similar project revolver is to be a 4" 5 screw Model 16, rebored from 22 parts on an early Model 15 frame. I have found a 6" K32 barrel and a 4" K frame fixed sight barrel in 32 Long, but want a holster gun with adjustable sights.

Boolit Grand Master
    Nueces, I would be interested in swapping for (or buying) either or both of those barrels. I’ll attach pix of my two 32 projects built on K frames, the 616 and an homage Model 16-3 recreation. On the left is my Faux 16-3 and on the right my three stainless guns. The 616 is on the right of this picture wearing its dark rosewood (or ebony?) grips from Thailand and an Austin Behlert rear sight. The one on the left side of this picture is another 32, the near mythical 631 in 32 H&R. It’s dead stock except for the Charles Daly rosewood stocks.
    Froggie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9AA724D5-A444-40F2-BE78-4037EDC00853.jpg   CE663CA7-4197-48F9-A4AF-4DDB1F7CEA57.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master
    Ghosthawk, although at this point I only have handguns in any of the 32 calibers, I’m an old ASSRA member and lover of single shots, so I’d love to see pix of that roller in 32 S&W. Did you use the little 32 rimfire as a starting point?
    Anybody else with pistol class 32 cal rifles is invited to respond… any Marlin 1892s with rf and cf firing pins out there? Or 32 Ballards or Winchester low walls? I’ve had two of the latter over the years as well as a 32-20 high wall, now long gone, unfortunately.
    Also, if anyone would like to show us any nice cast bullets in 32 caliber…
    Froggie

Boolit Master
    I did not renew my C&R license mostly so I'd stop buying odd ball handguns.
    By accident I started collecting .32 handguns. I have a Mauser, a Savage, a Meloir, a Dreyse, an Ortgies, a S&W "Lemon Squeezer", and a S&W .32 RF. I also have a Marlin 1889 (32-20) and a .32 Winchester Self Loader. They were all relatively inexpensive when I bought them.
    There's no cure.

Boolit Grand Master
    For many years, I wandered in darkness. Immersed in the notion that bigger was better and only if it started in a "4" could there be worth in any handgun, I wandered afar. My 38's were left abandoned, no 9 MM need apply, and the thought of a .32 left me helpless with laughter. Even my .357's were enjoyed on sufferance, simply due to the fact that I had hands too small to be really comfortable with N-frames.

But at length, the scales fell from eyes. I got a .32 Savage, then a 1903 colt, both in trades, and I began to enjoy shooting guns that didn't beat me up. At length, I came across a Model 16, at a very good price and was flabbergasted how well it shot. Sadly, the birth of my second child put paid to my budding romance, and most of my firearms were sold to pay deductibles and hospital costs. But the memory remained.

Now that I am old and worn and relatively well to do, I can afford the pleasure of a light recoiling, accurate firearm, and the 32's have gradually slunk back into my safe. The ghost of Jeff Cooper may be displeased, but my wrists and elbows are happy. Yeah verily, for bout 25 years now, 32's have given me shooting bliss, especially when 22's were absolutey nil in the bad days of Obummer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3801 I frame.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	309752Click image for larger version. 

Name:	327 ruger black.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	309753Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3768 (1).jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	309754Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0507.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	309755Click image for larger version. 

Name:	067.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	309756Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	309757Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	309758

These are the ones that reside at my house now.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Isn't owning a .32 gun to carry in your pocket for fun racist?
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Isn't owning a .32 gun to carry in your pocket for fun racist?
    Not if you’re bad, bad Leroy Brown. I just have a hard time with the “razor in my shoe”. The cord hangs out and I trip over it.

Our mutual friend Dale53 used to regale me with stories of email discussions he had with you about loading Lee 32 TLWCs. I’ve gotten his mould and even some of those bullets he had cast and am wondering how well they’ll shoot in my recreated Model 16-3 and Project 616. I still marvel at those folks who think a K frame Smith (or a Ruger Blackhawk) is too big for use with 32s! No accounting for taste, I guess.

BTW, how did you like my build articles in “Fouling Shot” a while back? I had just about quit my writing “career” but when asked by the editor couldn’t help but brag a little in print about my toys.

Froggie

Boolit Man
    I still think the .327 rifle hasn't gotten nearly the attention it deserves...maybe because only one company makes one??!!

Boolit Grand Master
    I agree wholeheartedly, MM. My dream rifle would be a Ruger #3 rebarreled and chambered in 327 Fed Mag. I’m also considering an original low wall action that Ken Hurst engraved for me many years ago… I’d be afraid to run 327 Fed Mag in it, but it should be great for 32 H&R. I had a low wall in 32 rimfire that we converted to centerfire and rechambered to 32 H&R. Its original bore was pretty rough, so performance was spotty, and I swapped it off before I really took it to its best potential. “Ve grow too soon oldt und too late schmardt”.
    Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    Due to popular suggestion I have tried to open a discussion group up in the community section. No additional membership required, just an interest in all things 22. Go up to the pull down bar and click on Community. This should open a list so you can follow along and join in.let’s see who’s interested.

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    Here’s another picture of two of my 32s, both custom builds. First, on the right, I had Project 616 built in 327 Fed Mag, all stainless based on a ND Model 66. Then I decided to “go old school” and recreate a Model 16-3 the same way the factory sometimes did, taking a Model 14-3 and changing the barrel and cylinder. Since this picture was taken I’ve replaced the grips on the “16-3” with a pair of square bottom Magmas of the proper vintage.
    Froggie
    PS I tried to post this in the new group but my iPad and I are feuding!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4E527E07-02FD-4DF4-98F3-89FB8A1044D2.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mobilemail View Post
    I still think the .327 rifle hasn't gotten nearly the attention it deserves...maybe because only one company makes one??!!
    I really think we will see a Marlin sooner rather than later. The past few years has not exactly been good for the company. Other than Marlin, Henry is the only major lever action manufacturer I can think of that makes anything besides a basic 30-30 or 45-70. Maybe Rossi, but I doubt they would be competitive with Henry. Marlin at least has a reputation that could sell a 327. Outside of a lever action, where would a 327 be popular? A single shot would be one, but again, Henry is the only USA manufacturer of single shots that would be suitable I'm aware of. The Ruger #1 in 327 probably is never going to happen. I think Ruger would rather make it in their 77 bolt action, but I don't think their 357 magnum version is very popular to begin with.

These are the 327's I'd love to see happen.

Henry single shot rifle- I'm surprised it doesn't already exist
    Ruger blackhawk in multiple barrel lengths. I'd love to see a 10 1/2" barrel option, although I admit it probably isn't going to happen. *Freedom Arms does sell such a beast if you are willing to pay for it*
    S&W K frame
    S&W J frame, but not with that stupid porting. Just something simple like the model 60.
    Taurus 327 redesigned. They should really be going just a little bigger. That gun is already pretty big for pocket carry. Make it a 7 shot, give it a 3" or 4" barrel with real sights and you would have a winner.
    Charter Arms 6" model

Also Ruger SP101 updated, or replaced, all models. It's a good size, but outdated. It should really be holding 6 of 38's, and 7 of 32's for how big the frame is. Nobody makes grips for them. Just give it the same grip stud as the GP100 and Redhawk, make them all the same.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 01-26-2023 at 09:39 PM.

Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast