Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

View Poll Results: How Do You Feel About Starting the "32 Retinue"?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm in, sign me up!

41 49.40%
  • Sounds interesting, I'm following along

29 34.94%
  • You're kidding, right?

3 3.61%
  • I'm a Neanderthal, nothing less than 44 for me.

1 1.20%
  • What's a 32?

9 10.84%
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Poll: The 32 Retinue

If they had one with an exposed hammer I might be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    If they had one with an exposed hammer I might be interested.
    Then it will have a lock. They will only make the hammerless models without the lock.

Quote Originally Posted by TXTad View Post
    Then it will have a lock. They will only make the hammerless models without the lock.
    I guess they figure if you can't operate a hammer, you won't be able to run a lock either.

Quote Originally Posted by mobilemail View Post

I'm still looking at the Taurus 327 snubbie and deciding if that or an 856 in .38 special would make the most sense for me. I know you are all yelling at the screen, "one of each!!!"
    I have a Tarus .327 snub and it is one fine revolver. I don't know if it will wear as long as a mith but it seems a robust and enduring handgun. The .327, I think, is fully the equal of the .38 and probably a little better than the .32-20 though both cartridges do what they do at a lot less pressure. I like the .32-20 as a field cartridge in my Colt Army Special and what ever I shoot with that seems to stay shot. The .327 makes similar wounds as the .32-20 in coons and porcupines. As for a rechamber of a J frame smith, I think the .327 might be a bit much and for sure it is too much for an aloy J frame; just my opinion. Buy the little Tarus and be money ahead of your proposed custoom job and not second guess frame strength,
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    ...there are Airlite .357s but no Airweight .357s...as one is a forged aluminum frame and the other is an aluminum/scandium alloy that will take the pressure and flamecutting...

Probably to a) hold the price down and b) not have that very unpleasant muzzleblast, the Airweight was chosen and hence the .32 H&R Magnum... Too bad as it seems that Ruger can make one and S&W can't???

Boolit Grand Master
    I wonder if S&W still has the forging dies to make a no IL frame with hammer in J or K size. I bet they do, and if somebody like Lipsey would place a large enough order, it would “break the ice” and we could see non-Hillary approved guns once again. The skies would clear, birds would begin to sing and all would be right with the World once again. Naaah, I’m just dreaming, but it was nice while it lasted.
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    Keep dreaming Froggie, it just may happen.

A 4" Model 631 would be nice to find. And while we are dreaming both a 4" and 6" K-32 would be fun to have.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    Well in the way cool things go (post-I frame, but that’s another whole thing) I now have had Project 616, a stainless K frame with 4” under lug barrel and 327 chambering. Next up came the recreated Model 16-3, an exact replica 6” K32 Masterpiece. The final piece in the “puzzle” came into place when my dear friend Dale53 had to “retire” from shooting and he sold me his Model 631in the box. Yep, it’s the 4” target version, but he had put grips by Goodyear on it and the original smooth combats were long gone. I did have friends from the S&W Forum helped me gather up a set of the original paperwork and tools, and fortunately Dale had saved the original box. When you add these to my prior experiences with the I frames during my “formative years” I think I’ve got the S&W 32s covered. Do you want to hear about Ruger Blackhawks in 32 I’ve been through?
    Froggie
    Last edited by Green Frog; 01-23-2024 at 07:05 PM.

Boolit Master

Yes, please!

Boolit Grand Master
    I think it was reading of Dale's exploits with his 631 that really made me regret not buying one when they were available from the factory. I'm glad it went to a good home.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    New offering from Taurus 327, 3", but bobbed hammer. Optics can be installed. Text lists it as double action/single action, but not sure how you do single action with a bobbed hammer? Do you squeeze the trigger enough to then thumb back the hammer??
    https://www.taurususa.com/revolvers/...-defender-toro

Boolit Mold
    I just purchased my first .32 after reading all of the threads here about them. Just "had" to have one.... I lucked out and came across a S&W M631 new and unfired in the original box with tools, papers, etc. I was so stunned that I just immediately paid the asking price. A blind squirrel type of story. The 38+ page thread here on .32's is what sent me over the edge.

Boolit Grand Master
    Welcome to the madness, FAAFO6! It would be hard to imagine a better introduction to the world of 32 caliber revolvers! Since you are on this forum, can we assume you cast your own bullets? Reloading for the 631 is a piece of cake if you find sufficient brass and a good bullet mould. Please keep us informed on your shooting progress and don’t hesitate to ask for help. We love to give advice here!
    Froggie
    PS Did you get the 4” adjustable sighted version or the fixed sight snub?

Boolit Grand Master
    FAAFO6, If you hang around here, in no time, you'll find you have a suitcase full of 32's. The darned things multiply. But they are fun.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    No they don't, I only have five!

Boolit Mold
    Yep, it's the 4" adjustable sight model and is exactly what I was looking / hoping for. Still amazed about my luck. Already bought the dies, new brass and cast boolits to last quite a while. I used to cast and started that about 1967 but no longer do / can for various reasons. All previous casting was for .38 /357 and .44 stuff. This .32 stuff is brand new for me and I'm looking forward to it. You fellows and this site are shameless enablers, haha. I shoot nothing but cast in my revolvers so will have to continue buying commercial boolits. Which reminds me that I need to sell a couple of old molds and 450 lubrisizer. I will report on how it goes when I finally shoot it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Fortunately, some of the commercial casters are becoming aware of the growing re-awakening of interest in things 32. As has been mentioned earlier in this thread and elsewhere, different folks have achieved success with a wide range of cast bullet weights and designs in the 32 H&R and the 32 S&W L as well. I particularly favor LSWC bullets in the 95-105 gr range if you can find them, but the old faithful 115 gr bullets based on the 3118 mould from Ideal also get the nod. I doubt I’d go much heavier in that little J frame. Please keep us informed on your progress at the range.

Also, a picture or two would be nice, FAAFO6. You know we just love pictures here, maybe as much as range reports. A post with both will get you a gold star!

Froggie

Boolit Mold
    I finally managed to shoot my Smith M631. I used Lost River Ammunition Company's .32 H&R wadcutter loads.

.32 H&R Magnum
    100 Grain Poly Coat
    Full Wadcutter
    Velocity 850 FPS

Fired one cylinder for group at 20+ yards with arms (kinda) supported which turned in a two inch group.which I felt was excellent gun / ammo performance considering the shooter (me) and the conditions. This fellow turns out superb ammo at extremely good prices. You fellows are correct, the .32's are great. Minimal muzzle report or recoil with fairly stout performance in spite of the smaller size.

Boolit Grand Master
    Well done, FAAF06! Welcome to the madness. Do you reload? If not, you owe it to yourself to try it for that revolver. Personally, I prefer a semi wadcutter bullets in my 32 H&R, but that’s one of the added attractions of the caliber (in that gun). It’s just so versatile! . Enjoy it and stay in touch

Froggie

Boolit Master
    After enjoying my time with the Taurus .327, I convinced myself to try the .30 Super Carry in a Smith EZ and I am impressed by the youngest member of the .32 family. I had paid zero attention to this chambering, and now I have Accurate 31-115H on order.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast