MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

View Poll Results: How Do You Feel About Starting the "32 Retinue"?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm in, sign me up!

41 49.40%
  • Sounds interesting, I'm following along

29 34.94%
  • You're kidding, right?

3 3.61%
  • I'm a Neanderthal, nothing less than 44 for me.

1 1.20%
  • What's a 32?

9 10.84%
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Poll: The 32 Retinue

Boolit Master

Last 30+ yrs have had some .32 ACP/7.65mm guns in the safe. Recently came into a trade on a Ruger Single Six .32 H&R fixed sighted revolver. Have a Lee 2 cav 90 gr SWC mold sitting at home along with several boxes of .32 S&W Long brass I've been hoarding since Germany in 88'. Still have 8 months in Iraq before I go home on leave to play with them.
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Only have one .32 (which I will not shoot) but want another. This sounds great.
    "There is no saint without a past, no sinner without a future."

- Saint Augustine

Can I talk about .32 ACP? A while ago I came home from an estate auction with a German semiauto called in the vernacular the Ortgies. The most uncooperative little thing I've ever had. It has a grip safety, which is set to safe by pushing a button on the left. To fire it, you have to give it a mighty squeeze which completes the cocking of the striker. It's getting apart and back together that's the nightmare. You clear it, pull the trigger to decock it, then pull the slide back about 5/8" and lift it up. At this point the striker spring and it's guide will be launched about 20 feet, fetching up under the only immovable piece of furniture in the room. Taking it down inside a gunny sack is strongly recommended. Going back together is worse. I'll spare you the details, but suffice it to say that it takes two special tools and a modification to the grip safety despite what the mfgrs. instructions say.

Will it shoot? Yes, it's even fairly accurate, since the barrel is fixed to the frame. It likes it's food loaded fairly hot. Some commercial ammo won't cycle it, but Gold Dot premium ammo is reliable. I have dies, but it hasn't made me happy enough to load for it myself.
    Cognitive Dissident

I was just noticing that Remington is now offering .32 H&R ammo. That’s good news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    .327 Federal magnum, .32 H&R mag, .32-20, .32 S&W, .32-40, I'm in!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reddhawkk View Post
    .327 Federal magnum, .32 H&R mag, .32-20, .32 S&W, .32-40, I'm in!
    You sound like my kinda guy! You didn’t mention 32 S&W L or 32 ACP, but you get bonus points for 32-40, my longtime favorite Schuetzen cartridge!
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Would love another 32! I have a Colt 1903, a Colt 32-20 Single action army and a Win 92, 32-20 and simply love all three!

Boolit Grand Master

Yet another 32 joins the herd!

Saturday, I went to the Nation's Gun Show, attempting to trade or sell my Ruger Vaquero 60th anniversary issue while looking to see is there was anything on my want list that I could afford. There, nestled amongst the acres of fantastic plastic, AR parts, high priced ammunition, pickles, jerky, shoot-me-first t-shirts, "tactical" bags, belts and back packs, and the occasional table of metal and wood firearms, I managed to find a Mauser 1914.

I have always had a mild hankering for one of these, ever since I watched an old spy film where the assassin held one up by his old fashioned, flash bulb apparatus while preparing to murder a rival diplomat. But until recently, the "want" had never quite percolated to the top. There was always something above it that I wanted more. Then too, while these had been relatively cheap for a long time, of late, they have gotten to be more expensive. A nice one will run closer to 800 than 600, with even a shooter grade running near 500. But Saturday, hiding amongst a bunch of Glocks and the like, I came across this one for $367. A price even a retired Steam engineer could easily afford. It has rusted a bit and has a few pits, and has been poorly refinished, but it is still mechanically sound. After a brief bit of dickering and examining, I bought it.

Submitted for you review.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3842.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	313323Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3840 (1).jpg 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	313325Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3840 (1).jpg 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	313325Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3842.jpg 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	313323
    Last edited by rintinglen; 04-27-2023 at 12:43 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yep, and it looks kinda Steam Punk laying there. It fits right in with your former life! You go, old buddy, rock on!

Boolit Buddy

Poll: The 32 Retinue

My 1914 even feeds T&B’s 64 gr. SWC bullets like it was made for them. I use Titewad.
    Last edited by tejano; 04-24-2023 at 07:16 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Mauser 1914: danger Will Robinson!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3843.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	313713
    25 Yards. 2 hands timed fire cadence, with Fiocchi hardball. For a 109 year old design. not too shabby. Those seven pasters cover 8 shots. It was hitting about 4 inches high.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master
    May the Fourth be with you!

Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Bub
    Count me in as a 32 aficionado! Someone mentioned wanting a 45 auto rim group. I'd be up for that also!!

Boolit Buddy
    Well I just picked up a Charter Arms 32 H&R magnum snub nose to go along with the I frame Smiths that I recently purchased. Shot the Charter Arms today with Black Hills Ammo and it is a real good shooter, and accurate to boot! May be my carry revolver after I shoot it some more. The little 32's are great fun and cheap to reload!

Boolit Grand Master
    Cat sneeze loads of powder and tiny pieces of lead… if you could still get cheap primers that would be so cheap to shoot the bad guys would be embarrassed to be shot down with them!

Boolit Master
    My 1914 is in slightly better shape than the one shown. It is great to shoot. I should use it more. Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I'm getting back into .32's with my two Kel-Tecs. One of them has an awesome trigger pull and is really accurate, the other one not so much. My favorite load is the Accurate 31-076 FP over 1.8 grains Titewad at .945 OAL.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I have had a .32 H&R Ruger Single Six for quite some time. I still haven't taken it to the range, though that will finally change soon. I have recently added a Ruger .327 Single Seven Bisley, but of course brass isn't really available for .327 right now. I do have plenty of .32 H&R. I mentioned that problem to one of the semi-retired part-timers at the LGS who told me he had bought a lot of brass for a handgun he ordered that never showed up. He told me to come back the next week and he'd let me have it for a good price. The next week when he brought the brass in, it wasn't .327 Federal, it was .32 S&W Long! I bought it all anyway.

The problem with that is is that it has made me want a revolver chambered in .32 S&W Long, so now I'm having to look around for one I can afford.

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't know how I missed replying to this thread, but better late than never I guess.

I wish I would have discovered just how much fun the little .32 revolvers could be when S&W was still in their gun of the week phase. Really regretting not getting a 631 and the modern K frame in .32 H&R when they were less than $400 brand new.

I have a few S&W I frames, ranging from the early years of the twentieth century to the mid fifties, and a couple of Ruger SSMs. Really prefer the adjustable sights on those.

Also a Remington #2 in .32 XL, converted to centerfire.

I tend to keep anything loaded in .32 S&W Long brass safe for the early versions of the I frame, the H&R stuff can get a bit hotter but not insane. I did start down that road then realized if I needed to push a .32 that hard, a .357 was the answer.

I have successfully kept away from .32-20 (so far).

Robert

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast