Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Pure Lead and PC...

Boolit Master

Pure Lead and PC...

has anybody done much experimenting with pure lead and PC'ing? I am curious how lead holds up with PC'ing the boolits and velocity.

thanks,

Rich

Boolit Master
    Great especially with pure ,it gets there faster without leading an cuts back slump/Ed

I have never used PC bullets before. Cast in pure lead and PC, will they still bump up to fill the grooves in oversize bores? We are talking in muzzleloaders with black powder in questionable bores.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Great especially with pure ,it gets there faster without leading an cuts back slump/Ed
    Cuts back slump? How do you figure it does that?

Boolit Master

Maybe not 'pure lead' but PC'd 30-1 & Unique is my 'go-to' for my Trapdoor carbine. On the other hand, PC'd boolits are not quite as accurate as those pan-lubed with Emmert's in either my Cimarron Highwall or my Pedersoli RB.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    I've used pure lead and powder coat in the 45ACP and it performed well with no leading.

Boolit Master
    I am building an AR-10 in 358 Win, and am curious about 2000+fps with a 250gr boolit.

thanks,

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by high standard 40 View Post
    I've used pure lead and powder coat in the 45ACP and it performed well with no leading.
    45,38,380, 9mm 40; all work fine for me though I tend to load them on the quieter side.

Boolit Master

I have shot coated pure lead to 1700 in 10" barrel and over 2100 in 20 & 22" barrels with good luck the bullets also preform quite like jacketed bullets on deer .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    Powder coated pure lead bullets would probably give you the best expansion, and freedom from barrel leading. That being said, I think that adding even a little bit of tin, like 20-1 or maybe even only 30-1 might be beneficial. The addition of a small amount of tin wouldn't be for hardening or strengthening the alloy, but so that you'd get better fill out in the mold while casting. I remember back in the day, casting pure lead Mini balls for a 58 caliber muzzleloader, and those slugs almost always had some tiny wrinkles. If you add just enough tin that it enhances the flow and fill you'll get higher quality bullets and still retain the good expansion like with pure lead.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    Powder coated pure lead bullets would probably give you the best expansion, and freedom from barrel leading. That being said, I think that adding even a little bit of tin, like 20-1 or maybe even only 30-1 might be beneficial. The addition of a small amount of tin wouldn't be for hardening or strengthening the alloy, but so that you'd get better fill out in the mold while casting. I remember back in the day, casting pure lead Mini balls for a 58 caliber muzzleloader, and those slugs almost always had some tiny wrinkles. If you add just enough tin that it enhances the flow and fill you'll get higher quality bullets and still retain the good expansion like with pure lead.
    ^^^exactly what I was gonna say^^^
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp